aaljibar

Mustahab acts of prayer

Rate this topic

Asalamu alaykum.

Long time no thread creation so I thought I'd start with a thread about mustahab acts during prayer.

I know a few.....

1. Looking left, right and forwards during your 3 takbirs at the end of salat. This is from my sheikh at the centre.
2. Saying "Bi hawli lahi wa quwatihi aqumu wa aq'ud" while in the action of standing up from the kneeling position. This is from imam at my centre
3. Saying "Alhamdu lilahi rab al alameen" after surat al fatiha. This is from the majority of people during salat juma'ah.
4. Sitting on your left thigh during tashahud. This is from Sayyid Sistani (r.a)
5. looking in between your legs in ruku. This is from Sayyid Sistani (r.a)
6. Looking at your lap (or in between them) during kneeling.This is from Sayyid Sistani (r.a)
7. Saying "kadhalik Allah" before qanoot. This is from imam at my centre.
8. Wearing white dress, clean dress, perfume, aqeeq, turban with its final fold hanging under the chin, a loose garment such as what they sheikhs/sayyids wear called an Aba'. This is from Sayyid Sistani (r.a)
9. Saying "Alhamdulilah" or "Bismilahi wa bilahi wal hamdu lilahi wa khayrul asma'Allah. This is from Sayyid Sistani (r.a)
10. Saying "Wa taqabal shafa'atahu warfa' darajatah" whilst looking at your lap after tashahud. This is from Sayyid Sistani (r.a)
11. Looking at the place of prostration during prayer. This is from Sayyid Sistani (r.a)
12. Being shoulder-to-shoulder during juma'ah (congregation) prayer. This is from Sayyid Sistani (r.a)
13. Being quieter than the imam so he can not hear you during your dhikr, he should not be distracted. This is from Sayyid Sistani (r.a)
14. Keeping your hands in line with your head and fingers together during sajood (prostration). This is from Sayyid Sistani (r.a)
15. Using a turbah (or anything allowed prostration on) for your nose. This is from Sayyid Sistani (r.a)
16. Increasing supplications in qanuut, ruku' and sajood. This is from Sayyid Sistani (r.a)
17. Saying "sama'allahu liman hamidah" after Ruku'. Common practice
18. Putting hands at face level while facing the palms to the sky during qanoot. This is from Sayyid Sistani (r.a)
19. Looking at the palms during qanoot. This is from Sayyid Sistani (r.a)
20. Reciting the supplications during qanoot loudly (except during jama'ah if the imam can hear your voice). This is from Sayyid Sistani (r.a)
21. Saying "Astaghfirallaha rabbi wa atubu ilayh" before salat. I've heard this somewhere...
22. Saying "A'udhu billahi min ashaytan arajeem" After starting prayers and before Surah al fatiha. This is from Sayyid Sistani (r.a)
23. Increasing salawat during prostration. This is from Sayyid Sistani (r.a)
24. After prayers to recite a du'a which is highly emphasised called tasbih fatima al zahra' (34x allahu akbar, 33x alhamdulillah, 33x subhanallah) finishing off with la ilaha ila Allah.This is done before moving your face from qibla or talking to someone. This is from Sayyid Sistani (r.a)
25. It is mustahab to pray prayers at their prescribed times and not to combine them if you can. We combine prayers usually for the convenience. This is from a sheikh at my centre.
26. Praying in the first row during Juma'ah (congregation).From sheikh at my centre.
27. Praying on the right side of the Imam during Juma'ah. From sheikh at my centre.
28. Lifting hands up to your ears during each allahu akbar (takbir) in your prayer. Sheikh on youtube
29. Saying "Astaghfirallaha rabbi wa atubu ilayh" after sajood when you're upright but still in kneeling position. This is from imam at my centre
30. To recite Surah Al Fatiha and Surah al Qadr in your first raka' and Surat al Fatiha and Surat al Ikhlas in your second raka'. This is from Sayyid Sistani (r.a)

Does anyone know any more could you please cite your sources! Insha'Allah.

Edited by aaljibar

Salam, Brother. Thank you for mentioning the mustahab acts in prayer that you learned from your marja Ayatullah Sistani. All Ayatullahs teach the same mustahab acts although the English translations might slightly differ, due to a translator or editor's choice of words. 

Ws,

Thanks for the thread, there was just one thing I reacted to:

1 hour ago, aaljibar said:

1. Looking left, right and forwards during your 3 takbirs at the end of salat. This is from my sheikh at the centre.

and

1 hour ago, aaljibar said:

24. After prayers to recite a du'a which is highly emphasised called tasbih fatima al zahra' (34x allahu akbar, 33x alhamdulillah, 33x subhanallah) finishing off with la ilaha ila Allah.This is done before moving your face from qibla or talking to someone. This is from Sayyid Sistani (r.a)

Contradict each other.

Also I heard that we should not look away from the directions of the Qibla at all until AFTER the 3 ending takbirs.

Anyone who can clarify?

10 hours ago, IbnSina said:

Anyone who can clarify?

Salam you must just move a littel your face during saying  during your 3 takbirs at the end of salat  ,tasbih fatima al zahra is reciting after 3 takbirs so it's after fininishing your prayers.

5 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Also after Tasbihat Arba'ah (in 3rd and 4th Rak'ah) one should say  "Astaghfirallaha rabbi wa atubu ilayh". 

this is not compulsory as i know but recommended.

19 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam you must just move a littel your face during saying  during your 3 takbirs at the end of salat  ,tasbih fatima al zahra is reciting after 3 takbirs so it's after fininishing your prayers.

Correct, the thread says 'mustahab acts' that's why I posted this.

2 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Thanks for answering the question! Also

This is a 'mustahab' acts thread brother. Further, he said "should", not "must". ;)

Jazakallah.

Edited by aaljibar

7 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Also after Tasbihat Arba'ah (in 3rd and 4th Rak'ah) one should say  "Astaghfirallaha rabbi wa atubu ilayh". 

Jazakallah I didn't know that! 

On 11/30/2018 at 7:27 PM, IbnSina said:

Ws,

Thanks for the thread, there was just one thing I reacted to:

and

Contradict each other.

Also I heard that we should not look away from the directions of the Qibla at all until AFTER the 3 ending takbirs.

Anyone who can clarify?

:salam:

Well actually we are supposed to give two salams right and left, kind of like sunnis but only a slight movement from the eyes or the nose as they say.

On 11/30/2018 at 9:52 PM, aaljibar said:

Looking left, right and forwards during your 3 takbirs at the end of salat.

I have seen Ayatullah Nasir Mukaram Shirazi doing that. And he never raised his hands nor said three takbeer.

1 hour ago, Salsabeel said:

I have seen Ayatullah Nasir Mukaram Shirazi doing that. And he never raised his hands nor said three takbeer.

I've heard that you shouldn't look that extreme. Just slight so as to not deviate from the ka'bah. Btw saying Allahu akbar 3 times with the rising of the hands is not wajib but just mustahab.

17 minutes ago, aaljibar said:

Btw saying Allahu akbar 3 times with the rising of the hands is not wajib but just mustahab.

Thanks for letting me know that! 

I was showing you that anyone is free to adopt or quit any of the mustahab amal, like Ayatullah Nasir quit offering three takbeer and raising his hands and preferred to twist his head right & left. I have never seen Ayatullah Khamenei or any other marja doing that. 

39 minutes ago, Salsabeel said:

I have never seen Ayatullah Khamenei or any other marja doing tha

Salam he is rising his hands  in this video 

Namaz / Prayers of Leader Ayatullah Ali Khamenei

تصاویر پخش نشده نماز جمعه تاریخی آیت الله خامنه ای زیر باران - 7 فروردین 1360

Ayatullah Khamenei Leads Eid Prayers 2014

Namaz-e-Jafria | Shia Prayer | Imam Khamenei

Namaz-e-Jafria | Shia Prayer | Mukaram Shirazi

Why do Sunnis turn left and right after prayers? | General Q&A

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

Very good thread. 

1. It is mustahab to say "kadhalikallahu rabi" OR "khadhalikallahu rabbuna" once or three times BUT THIS IS ONLY AFTER SURAT AT-TAWHEED!
- This is ONLY mustahab to recite for the person who recites surat al-tawheed. This means that those who follow the Imam must not recite this. This is from the hâdith. 
2. It is indedd mustahab to recite "Astaghfirallaha rabbi wa atubu ilayh" between the two sâjdah (when you are sitting after the first sâjdah). 
3. Regarding A'udu billahi min ashaytan arajeem, it is mustahab precaution that it should be said with a low voice. 
4. After tasbih az-zahra it is mustahab to say "la ilaha illah".
5. It is also mustahab to recite surat tâwhid at least in one of your prayers. 
6. It is mustahab between adhan or iqama that you move a step forward.
7. It is also mustahab not to recite surat tawheed in one breath, but to stop at each verse.
8. In tasbihat al arabah it is mustahab to recite it three times. It is not KNOWN if two is mustahab. If a person wants to recite MORE than three times he CAN but with the intention of "the rememberane of Allah (dhikr'ilAllah). 
9. It is also mustahab to recite surat inna anzala (Qadr) in the prayers. 

Allahuma sali ala Muhammad wa Ahle Muhammad!