Mohammed-Mehdi

How to increase fear of Allah (SWT) ?

Rate this topic

What are some ways to increasefear of Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى, on a daily basis ?

some context below:
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Fear Of God (Free downloadable PDF at The Ahlul-Bayt; Ethical Role-Models)

Fear Of God

Fear of God stands for the mental pains arisen from the anticipation of God’s punishment for the commitment of acts of disobedience to Him. It enjoins holding on straightforwardness and forbids vices and sins. For that reason, the Sharia has paid a considerable attention to fear of God:

“Only Allah’s knowledgeable servants fear Him. Allah is Majestic and All-pardoning. (35:28)”

“Those who fear their Lord in secret will receive forgiveness and a great reward (67:12).”

“However, those who had feared their Lord and restrained their souls from acting according to their desires, Paradise will be their dwelling (79:41).”

The Prophet (S) said: “For those who avoid acts of disobedience or the illegal desire that is shown before them out of fear of Allah, Allah will prevent the fire of Hell from consuming them, save them on the Day of the Grand Horror, and fulfill His promise to them that He cites in His Book as He says:

“Those who fear their Lord will have two gardens (55:46)1.”

The previous texts have depicted the importance of fear and its contribution in rectifying man and qualifying him to have the honor of God’s contentment. Like the other noble traits, fear does not deserve praise unless it is characterized by moderation away from shortage and excess. Excess fear impoverishes the personality and deprives of hope. Moreover, it causes despair, which, in turn, brings about perpetual deviation. Shortage of fear, also, causes negligence, shortcoming, and rebel against acts of obedience to God. By the balance of fear and hope, one’s self nourishes, conscience towers up, and the spiritual energies go forward. Referring to this point, Imam as-Sadiq (a) said:

“Hope for Allah in a form that does not draw you to the commitment of acts of disobedience to Him, and fear Him in such a way that does not make you despair of His mercy5.”

Advantages of Fear

The values of the noble traits depend on levels of the virtuous concepts and principals of righteousness that they leave on personalities. Accordingly, fear occupies the first place among the noble traits. It has played a big role in the fields of belief since it is the main reason encouraging acts of obedience to God. Feelings of fear enhance the souls and take them to a lofty angelic position that imparts to the ideality of the angels. As he compared among angels, human beings, and animals, Amirul-Mu'minin (a) said:

So far I only fear Allah for two things: His anger and His power. I fear making Him angry or upset with me because I care. And His power because He can destroy me or abandon me at any moment. Who is truly safe if Allah abandons them?

Who is truly safe if Allah abandons them?

Jazakallah for this post brother. I love how it said we must balance fear and hope. This truly defines what it means to have faith because we must not be too fearful that we eventually become deviated and we must not be too hopeful because we never know what awaits us. It keeps us on our toes :)

Ya Allah I beg of you please protect me from being Iblis...please don’t abandon me!!!

Yes we must increase our fear, the fearing is the most devout and pious...

oh God...make me more fearing and careful...

what can you do If you’re abandoned? I shudder 

On 11/30/2018 at 5:25 AM, Mohammed-Mehdi said:

What are some ways to increasefear of Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى, on a daily basis ?

As you increase the intensity of remembering Him and start to feel His presence, you will start loving Him instead of fearing Him. He deserves more to be loved than to be feared. 

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ رَبُّ الْعَالَمِينَ

23 hours ago, Subhan_Allah_Wa_Bihumdih said:

So far I only fear Allah for two things: His anger and His power. I fear making Him angry or upset with me because I care. And His power because He can destroy me or abandon me at any moment. Who is truly safe if Allah abandons them?

Salam this is same as prayer of slaves that just pray because of fear of punishment , the other is prayer of merchants that just pray for reward but they fear from losing it (somone as me) , the third is the best that righteous people people pray with mix of fear & reward just for him they have fear that they can't pray him enough & don' fear from losing reward but have hope to reach to reward too.

15 hours ago, Salsabeel said:

As you increase the intensity of remembering Him and start to feel His presence, you will start loving Him instead of fearing Him. He deserves more to be loved than to be feared. 

فَتَبَارَكَ اللَّهُ رَبُّ الْعَالَمِينَ

Love is at least as important I would say in my little knowledge, but if we read the hadith it is very recommended and you have different levels etc.
For example RasulAllah (SAW) to Imam Ali (AS) about fear
(can someone provide easily,then please do)

Edited by Mohammed-Mehdi

Salaam Alaykum

Having fear of Allah is very good and our religion recommends it. It prevents us from doing sin. I remember a story from the prophet Moses. Prophet Moses saw two prisons, one very healthy and the other one skinny and weak. Both of them freed later. Moses asked the healthy one:" why are you healthy and in a good shape at prison?" He answered:" I had good view of Allah in prison that I'll be freed". The skinny one said:" I had fear of Allah". Moses asked Allah:" which one has more Manzilat in front of you?" Allah said:" The one that has optimistic view of me". 

I didn't say this to say Allah fear is bad, No. As Imam Sadegh said, we should always be in خوف and رجا. This fact helps us in life, but always be optimist, have positive view of life and Allah even if something bad happens. Trust him. Allah knows what hes doing.

On 12/21/2018 at 4:27 AM, AmirAlmuminin Lover said:

Moses asked Allah:" which one has more Manzilat in front of you?" Allah said:" The one that has optimistic view of me". 

Wa Alaikum El Selaam,

What  does Manzilat mean?

This whole fearing Allah had broken down the Muslim faith.

When you fear someone or something, it comes a certain time where you search for redemption.

But when you love Allah, it is your redemption.

1 hour ago, BowTie said:

This whole fearing Allah had broken down the Muslim faith.

If someone doesn't understand or think properly, that's their fault

If you really Love Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى you should fear Him or fear disobeying Him as well, for example

55 minutes ago, Mohammed-Mehdi said:

If someone doesn't understand or think properly, that's their fault

If you really Love Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى you should fear Him or fear disobeying Him as well, for example

I choose to worship a loving God.

You choose to worship a God who holds a whip.

In the words of Imam Ali (as):

"O’ Allah! I did not worship you because I am afraid of Hell, or out of greed for your Paradise. I have worshiped you because I found you worthy of being worshiped."

Salam...

Fear that you be abandoned/disconnected from Him.

It doesn't matter whether we be in lowest hell or promised the highest heaven, that one slightest moment in our life to be disconnect from HIM swt..is the highest fear. The constant hope to always connected to HIM swt and fear of disconnection in our existent is how we should lead our life.

We will feel the peace in these two gardens (fear and hope)

Those who fear their Lord will have two gardens (55:46)1.”

3 hours ago, BowTie said:

"O’ Allah! I did not worship you because I am afraid of Hell, or out of greed for your Paradise. I have worshiped you because I found you worthy of being worshiped."

That is actually wrong understanding of fear of Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى. Fearing is part of our nature and we perceived usually when we feel danger or loss. The highest manifestation of fear in us is actually fear of Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى, this is because He is the one who is the Absolute while we are nothing. It is possible that when we do unjust to ourselves, we could by our own will abandon Him, and those who come to know God and and realize of their nothingness in front of Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى, they will only increase in love and fear of Him, fear for that they don't want to go to previous state of their Jahil and thus disobey Him and thus will lead to separation/loss from Him.

Edited by Abu Nur

Fear is awareness/consciousness, understanding and an attempt to comprehension. It's not being afraid of in an antagonistic sense. When we being to truly "fear" Allah saw, we exercise our Irfan. "Fearing" Allah, is taking the step between blindly believing in Allah and knowing Allah (to the limited extent that a human can).

However, in the other sense, yes, we should be very mindful and see the true seriousness of Heaven and Hell and not take either lightly.

Edited by HakimPtsid

8 hours ago, BowTie said:

You are incorrect. 
I know what you are talking about. And you don't know my beliefs

Taqwa” is to Fearfully protect oneself from losing awareness of God’s All Pervading & Loving Presence.  When you fear God you must necessarily love Him as a consequence because God is everywhere (He is not an object).  If you run away from God’s wrath it can only be because you are seeking refuge in His mercy.  If one simply fears “God” without loving Him then I am afraid he is not worshipping God but some object or god.  

And He says:

“O you who have have faith, fear (have taqwa) of Allah. And let every soul look to what it has put forth for tomorrow - and fear (have taqwa) Allah. Indeed, Allah is Aware of what you do.  And be not like those who forgot Allah , so He made them forget themselves. Those are the defiantly disobedient.” (Hashr 18-19)

May He protect us from not recognizing who we truly are.  Man’arafa nafsahu faqad arafa rabbahu.  

Edited by eThErEaL