Sign in to follow this  
.InshAllah.

Is sex binary?

Rate this topic

3 articles worth reading.  First is a NYT opinion piece by a biologist and gender studies prof arguing that sex is not binary.  Second is from a philosopher rebutting the first article.  Third is from another philosopher more or less agreeing with the second with some important qualifications.

Why Sex Is Not Binary by Anne Fausto-Sterling, in the NYT

Is Sex Binary by Alex Byrne

Byrne on why sex is binary by Edward Feser

Happy reading!

Salam Aleykoom

The Qur'an states that creation was made in (gendered) pairs in multiple verses, to cite an example among many others:

bismillah.gif
وَمِنْ كُلِّ شَيْءٍ خَلَقْنَا زَوْجَيْنِ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَذَكَّرُونَ {49}

[Shakir 51:49] And of everything We have created pairs that you may be mindful.

The verb is in dual mode, which is a particular arabic tense strictly used when you talk about two things/persons/etc... This dual tense can also be noted in other verses in the Holy Qur'an, indicating that gender is indeed binary.

I'll advise you against the abominations that modern philosophists and psychologists come up with these days. Most of what is called "gender theory" is an immensely twisted and perverted scheme based on Alfred Kinsey's research on hypersexualization of children. If you have no idea who this person is, look it up.

Wa Salam.

Edited by SamAlFarsi

21 hours ago, SamAlFarsi said:

Salam Aleykoom

The Qur'an states that creation was made in (gendered) pairs in multiple verses, to cite an example among many others:

The verb is in dual mode, which is a particular arabic tense strictly used when you talk about two things/persons/etc... This dual tense can also be noted in other verses in the Holy Qur'an, indicating that gender is indeed binary.

I'll advise you against the abominations that modern philosophists and psychologists come up with these days. Most of what is called "gender theory" is an immensely twisted and perverted scheme based on Alfred Kinsey's research on hypersexualization of children. If you have no idea who this person is, look it up.

Wa Salam.

I believe why Hell is created to feed people like Alfred.

4 hours ago, SamAlFarsi said:

Most of what is called "gender theory" is an immensely twisted and perverted scheme

I dont disagree with you here.   If you pay attention to my post you will see 2 well argued articles refuting the gender studies piece.  The point of posting the NYT piece is firstly to be aware of their arguments and secondly to give the other 2 articles context.

Salam Aleykoom

5 hours ago, Mohammed-Mehdi said:

we can find  a sunni-acceptable and shia-unacceptable translation of one Ayah at least.

You are entirely correct. I was not aware of this. From what i've read of verse 4:24, Abdullah Yusufali's translation is more suited, although his literary style is more complex and refined, thus less readily understandable by non-native speakers.

Regardless, i will stop using Shakir's translation and use Abdullah Yusufali's translation from now on (unless you have a suggestion of your own). Thank you for pointing that out for me.

4 hours ago, .InshAllah. said:

If you pay attention to my post you will see 2 well argued articles refuting the gender studies piece.

Yes, i've realized it from the get go. The thing is, most "academic" counterarguments to gender theory fail to point out the circumstances of its birth, the nature of its initiators as well as its twisted aims, which are much more eloquent than academic counter-research: the latter attempts to give a serious refutation to an absurd (to say the least) "school of thought", thus giving it some form of academical credit, while the former firmly dismisses it because of its intentions, thus dealing with it not as a possibly valid academic field but as a aggressive and ideological weapon under the guise of (pseudo-)science.

Wa Salam.

12 hours ago, SamAlFarsi said:

Yes, i've realized it from the get go. The thing is, most "academic" counterarguments to gender theory fail to point out the circumstances of its birth, the nature of its initiators as well as its twisted aims, which are much more eloquent than academic counter-research: the latter attempts to give a serious refutation to an absurd (to say the least) "school of thought", thus giving it some form of academical credit, while the former firmly dismisses it because of its intentions, thus dealing with it not as a possibly valid academic field but as a aggressive and ideological weapon under the guise of (pseudo-)science.

If you want to make the biggest impact against harmful ideologies then refute them and discredit the people promoting them.  Most of the stuff coming out of gender theory departments is harmful, but shirk and atheism is surely worse.   Yet Allah swt presents rational arguments against these in the Qur'an, e.g 'were they created from nothing, or are they their own creators'.  We should let the Qur'an be our guide.

Yes. Sex is binary and there are no two ways around it.

I can take as much estrogen as I want and mutilate my body to any degree, but I will still always carry that Y chromosome.

The people who push this ideology (which I find to be abomination) only do so in an attempt to further dehumanize people and reduce them to units of economic commodity to serve their own vile purposes of greed and avarice.

Edit: this ideology has to be resisted at all costs and I am more than willing to put myself on the proverbial chopping block to do so.

Sorry to be so short, but this is a very heated topic for me because I understand what it is that these so-called "academics" truly have in mind and it's definitely not good in the slightest.

Edited by GD41586
Addendum