Rate this topic

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:14 AM, hasanhh said:

None yet?

l'II give this two more days and then relate her opinion.

The video was describing sexism in toys as the most egregious form of sexism.

Particularly, the psycho-narrowing toys for girls.

Not a lot of construction toys for girls, are there?

Personally, l cannot think of anything more disgusting to me than dressing a little girl up as a pink princess.

6 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Personally, l cannot think of anything more disgusting to me than dressing a little girl up as a pink princess.

I used to feel this way, then I had a daughter who loves everything pink and princessy, and has no interest in blocks, toy cars, or playing sports. She does like science and nature, so at least there's something I can relate to. 

I dislike gendered toys and have no problem with boys cuddling dollies and girls driving Tonka trucks. My daughter spent very little of her preschool years in day care, and even without outside influence she prefers "girly" things. I think you've just got to let kids determine their own interests. Parents and society can guide, but shouldn't dictate. 

But a lot of the fashion dolls are disgusting. They're are several kinds of those that I won't allow, even if she asks. 

From my experience, not exactly a scientific study but I see a wide range of children in my work, there are definitely gender differences in how children play with toys.  You can give boys and girls the same set of toys and they will tend to play with them differently.  

Boys love to play smash up cars and trucks, complete with the collateral damage of any stuffed animals in the area, whereas, girls are likely to put a stuffed animal in the back of a dump truck and cover it with a blanket and rock it back and forth.  In general, girls play princess dress-up while boys seek more super-hero type play roles.

It doesn’t matter the toy, children reflect themselves through it - a stick found on the ground can be used by one child to play conductor of an orchestra but another child will use it as a pretend gun. 

The difference comes when adults who have certain gender theories about toys try to influence the play. 
Edited by Maryaam

7 hours ago, Maryaam said:

In general, girls play princess dress-up

8 hours ago, notme said:

a lot of the fashion dolls are disgusting

The explanation for girls-and-their-dolls comes from their impulse to socialize. Which is also the primary explanation on why girls do "better" in grade school, while boys --like me-- 'do' a lot of corporal punishment. We also did things like be-in-on putting a black snake in the 4th grade teacher's desk.

Yet, l do think the image a girl has of women-in-general has a big influence.