Jump to content
Raheel Yunus

Dualism and Islam ?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

The dualism in Islam is less focused on material-versus-immaterial and more (or only) focused on inner-versus-outer, baatin and zaahir, visible and invisible. 

What ought to be noted is that neither baatin/inner nor the invisible/ghayb need to be or are necessarily immaterial. 

In this sense, we do not encounter the Interactionist Objection against Substantial Dualism. 

Edited by SoRoUsH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, SoRoUsH said:

The dualism in Islam is less focused on material-versus-immaterial and more (or only) focused on inner-versus-outer, baatin and zaahir, visible and invisible. 

What ought to be noted is that neither baatin/inner nor the invisible/ghayb need to be or are necessarily immaterial. 

In this sense, we do not encounter the Interactionist Objection against Substantial Dualism. 

Means dualism does exist in Islam.

Than what is Tawheed ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Raheel Yunus said:

Means dualism does exist in Islam.

Than what is Tawheed ?

 

Dualism, literally, is defined as "the division of something conceptually into two opposed or contrasted aspects, or the state of being so divided."

There are multiple dualistic theories in different disciplines. The type of dualism that you seem to have in mind is called Theistic Dualism, that God and His creation are distinct. This is different from the Substantial Dualism that I thought you had in mind. (It's my fault for not asking you to clarify what you mean by Dualism.)

There is a group of Muslims, who believe in Wahdat al-Wujud. They resemble Muslim Monists. 

I haven't studied Theistic Dualism and Monism closely, so I won't make any further comment. 

Just keep in mind that monotheism, pantheism, and panentheism are different belief systems. And Islam is a monotheistic system. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SoRoUsH said:

Dualism, literally, is defined as "the division of something conceptually into two opposed or contrasted aspects, or the state of being so divided."

There are multiple dualistic theories in different disciplines. The type of dualism that you seem to have in mind is called Theistic Dualism, that God and His creation are distinct. This is different from the Substantial Dualism that I thought you had in mind. (It's my fault for not asking you to clarify what you mean by Dualism.)

There is a group of Muslims, who believe in Wahdat al-Wujud. They resemble Muslim Monists. 

I haven't studied Theistic Dualism and Monism closely, so I won't make any further comment. 

Just keep in mind that monotheism, pantheism, and panentheism are different belief systems. And Islam is a monotheistic system. 

I agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2018 at 9:50 PM, Muhammed Ali said:

You should specify what type of dualism you are referring to. The most well-known type of dualism is mind-body dualism.

I only know about two types of dualism

 creator and the creation

Other is that Allah created everything in pairs.
Death         life
Darkness   light
Good           bad
Sorrow        happiness

Matter         antimatter 
Inferior         superior  etc.

One does not exist without other. For example If there is no death there will be no life.

In sanatan dharna it is called Dwand one have to come out of it to attain nirvana.

In this post i am referring to Creator and Creation.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Duality is an illusion. It’s not real. It’s a perception of things that is not ultimately true, so it is a false perception, a delusion. We were not asked to believe that which is false. Rather it seems to be the natural result of our evolution to date to believe it, but seeing through delusion and error is how we progress. There are not many different separate things, but rather many manifestations of the same one wholly interconnected and integrated thing. We think that good and evil are two separate and distinct things. We seek the good and reject evil, believing that perhaps one day there will only be good, and the duality will be gone. But that’s not nonduality. Good can’t exist by itself. There must needs be an opposition in all things. Good and evil exist along a single spectrum, are the poles of that ONE spectrum. One doesn’t exist without the other, not because we have to perceive duality for them to exist, but because they belong to the same thing. They are manifestations of the same ONE thing. Nonduality doesn’t mean there is no more good and evil, light and darkness, sweet and bitter. It means we see and know these things as necessary manifestations of this one existent universe. Just like the head and tail of a dog are not two different living things, but are the pole ends of ONE living thing. The illusion of duality will be seen through when we realize that reality is one integrated whole being expressed along a myriad of spectrums. At times we can clearly perceive through the illusion directly, the veil is lifted, and we see the underlying oneness of reality. We see that we too are wholly a manifestation of this one reality, and perceiving this directly this is the atonement; we see we are fully one in Allah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×