ali_fatheroforphans

Pakistani women and hijab

Rate this topic

Salam,

I reckon I'm in a position to generalize since I've observed this in literally so many communities. Why do majority of Pakistani women choose not the wear the hijab? I've noticed that they have a very casual approach when it comes to the hijab. Out of all my cousins, there is literally just one girl who chooses to wear the hijab, and she gets ridiculed for wearing it. I understand the struggles women go through, but this is wayy more than an individual issue. This is concerning since a lot young sisters may find it difficult to wear the hijab because they'll be judged by their own family or community. I know this teenage Pakistani girl who's very practicing but she refuses to wear the hijab because her parents keep telling her "don't be that extreme". I wanna shed some light on this issue, as many do consider wearing the hijab, but find it difficult because of the fact that it's taken lightly by the majority.

Btw I don't mean to say that these women are immodest or anything, because imo they do value modesty but not the hijab prescribed by the sharia.

This is clearly affecting the younger generation since teenage girls may think "if that religious aunty doesn't wear the hijab, then why should I?". I'm actually very concerned and feel that our religious speakers need to focus a lot on the hijab.

What are your thoughts? Is this what you guys feel? Am I generalizing? 

@Aflower @starlight 

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans

You will also find Pakistani families that force hijab onto girls.  

Basically Pakistan is far more a cultural society than a religious one.  Islamic head covering just hasn't been part of sub continental culture and any deviation from what is normal tends to raise a few eyebrows.  Also growing a beard and wearing a head scarf is associated with being a bit too religious and not moderate enough.

I think a lot has to do with western influences. Pakistan adapted western ideals very gradually throughout the decades within its society. The effect was very dramatic with the arrival of global social media and mobile phone technology. As a result the new generation nowadays do not understand the value of hijab.

I have seen the contrary a lot as well. There are a lot of Pakistani women who wear the hijab and try to be practicing. But yeah, there are probably some who don't. I think it's due to ignorance. If one is significantly ignorant about a particular matter, I don't think he'll be able to give that matter it's due value. 

3 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

"don't be that extreme".

Sadly, it's not just in pakistani culture.

I've observed it quite a bit in the new age of Arab culture, where it's a mix of Arab and Western standards.

In a nutshell, I know families whose parents pray 5 times a day right on time (including fajr), and yet discourage their daughters from wearing hijab, telling them to not be so extreme/not embarrass them (usually I noticed it's the mother who does the discouraging, while the father is indifferent/encouraging).

It's really weird this new age.

Edited by dragonxx

Yes, thats such a disappointing reality that some parents forbid young girls who want to wear hijab. A good friend of mine at university is from Pakistan and she had always wanted to wear the hijab, she told me that her dad and mother would not agree with it and would never allow her to wear it cause it will get their community to talk about them in a negative way.  alhamdulilah she is going to Mecca soon and I told her to pray over there and ask Allah for help and guidance. She said in sha Allah she will wear it after she come back.

3 hours ago, King said:

Islamic head covering just hasn't been part of sub continental culture and any deviation from what is normal tends to raise a few eyebrows.  Also growing a beard and wearing a head scarf is associated with being a bit too religious and not moderate enough.

Yeah literally in soo many Pakistani gatherings they makes references to culture rather than religion. I don't know if it's just the community I'm exposed or the mindset of my cousins, but no one seems to care about religious rulings. I was in a Pakistani religious gathering, and some liberal uncles were on about how women don't need to be that extreme by wearing the hijab in these sort of countries. I was like...:confused::shock: plss, but yeah seriously the discussion was purely based on cultural standards and "imo". Some Pakistanis have ignorantly separated hijab from religion.

23 minutes ago, Ruqaya101 said:

A good friend of mine at university is from Pakistan and she had always wanted to wear the hijab, she told me that her dad and mother would not agree with it and would never allow her to wear it cause it will get their community to talk about them in a negative wa

You literally summed up the purpose of my thread. It's very demotivating if someone wants to do something for the sake of Allah, and no one is there to provide support and encouragement, especially your own family. It's hard to suddenly open up to your parents and do something which may seem alien to them, even if it's a part of Islam.

22 minutes ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

It's hard to suddenly open up to your parents and do something which may seem alien to them, even if it's a part of Islam.

so ironic, dont you think? The fact that theres so many women out there who just want to take their hijabs off and then theres others who wish to have it on but aren't allowed to.

14 minutes ago, Ruqaya101 said:

so ironic, dont you think? The fact that theres so many women out there who just want to take their hijabs off and then theres others who wish to have it on but aren't allowed to.

Imo some Islamaphobes tend to only focus on women who are forced to wear the hijab, because they want people to accept the narrative that Islam is all about blind faith.

1 minute ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Imo some Islamaphobes tend to only focus on women who are forced to wear the hijab, because they want people to accept the narrative that Islam is all about blind faith.

Thats just sad...

My mother and I got run over by a car last year, we were both wearing abayas, and the funny thing was when he came out of the car, I screamed at him and asked him why he did it and he said its not my fault, you threw yourselves in front. it was labeled an an islamaphobic attack by some journalists and looking back at it now, allahu 3alam, its just sad that some people would go as far as to kill someone for a belief or faith.

11 minutes ago, Ruqaya101 said:

My mother and I got run over by a car last year, we were both wearing abayas, and the funny thing was when he came out of the car, I screamed at him and asked him why he did it and he said its not my fault, you threw yourselves in front. it was labeled an an islamaphobic attack by some journalists and looking back at it now, allahu 3alam,

Any person with some sort of emotional intelligence would apologize and not play the blame game like a little kid. Yeah, it's quite possible that it was an Islamaphobic attack. Some Australians can be pretty Islamaphobic although I've never encountered any till now.

1 minute ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Any person with some sort of emotional intelligence would apologize and not play the blame game like a little kid. Yeah, it's quite possible that it was an Islamaphobic attack. Some Australians can be pretty Islamaphobe although I've never encountered any till now.

nah he was of European decent.

he was in his mid 60s and the only reason I dont think it was an islamaphobic attack was because he had a heart attack when the police came. What did make me question that it was is because is he hit my mum twice (although thinking about it now with a clearer mind, he could have just got scared when he hit her the first time, that instead of pressing the brakes, he pressed on the gas again), also when he came out, he started shouting at me as to why I threw myself out and was literally stomping his feet next to my mums head, he was swearing and calling us muslim s****. but again allahu 3alam,  he didn't even bother helping or calling an amblulance. it could have been the nerves or fear because I didn't call the ambulance either, I was just afraid for my mum and couldnt think straight.

but if it was an islamaphobic attack, god knows his true intentions, then I would think its based not on phobia of muslims but hatred and thats why I think that its so ironic that theres women who would love to wear the hijab knowing how brave it would be and the potential rare dangers it comes with.

I wasn't allowed to wear the hijab as a little girl (and I'm iraqi). It took me 6 months to convince dad to allow me to wear it. I think I was 10 or 11 when I started wearing it. 

For my dad it wasn't the hijab per se. He just didn't want us to be targeted by racists as we had emigrated to the west. 

Edited by Carlzone

I want to be very honest today and want to say that pakistan is not Islamic country but country of pagans and jaahil people but i will also say that pakistani women dont wear so vulgar clothes like other countries which is Muslims like turkey albania bosnia morroco dubai Qatar kuwait and many more and secondly thing is that we dont have Islamic society anywhere in this world it's only by name nothing more and i wished we should have focused just like women Hijab and women generally with men also why dont we say any article or forum which discuss how vulgar men have become and how they have loose their hijab as men which was lower our gaze sadly we only attack women all the times Islam is equal for both men women and we should focus on both and not only women i know that women Hijab is very important for society and we need it also but i have seen ugly and vulgar man who watches Hijabi women with lustful eyes what is solution for that ?

15 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Salam,

I reckon I'm in a position to generalize since I've observed this in literally so many communities. Why do majority of Pakistani women choose not the wear the hijab? I've noticed that they have a very casual approach when it comes to the hijab. Out of all my cousins, there is literally just one girl who chooses to wear the hijab, and she gets ridiculed for wearing it. I understand the struggles women go through, but this is wayy more than an individual issue. This is concerning since a lot young sisters may find it difficult to wear the hijab because they'll be judged by their own family or community. I know this teenage Pakistani girl who's very practicing but she refuses to wear the hijab because her parents keep telling her "don't be that extreme". I wanna shed some light on this issue, as many do consider wearing the hijab, but find it difficult because of the fact that it's taken lightly by the majority.

Btw I don't mean to say that these women are immodest or anything, because imo they do value modesty but not the hijab prescribed by the sharia.

This is clearly affecting the younger generation since teenage girls may think "if that religious aunty doesn't wear the hijab, then why should I?". I'm actually very concerned and feel that our religious speakers need to focus a lot on the hijab.

What are your thoughts? Is this what you guys feel? Am I generalizing? 

@Aflower @starlight 

India = Pakistan

Though we have Hijabi sisters as well, but they are just outliers.

Walaikum Salam @ali_fatheroforphans

I do, by and large, agree with your comments and observations. I can not generalise and say why Pakistani women in general do not wear headscarves. Every woman will have her own story to tell and a unique set of reasons behind this. 

I hope that the information contained in the links below helps to shed more light on your questions:

https://thetempest.co/2017/10/23/culture-taste/wearing-hijab-challenging-amongst-pakistani-community/

https://www.quora.com/Why-dont-some-Pakistani-women-wear-a-hijab-compared-to-Indian-Muslim-women-who-are-often-seen-wearing-one?

https://tribune.com.pk/story/711490/no-dress-codes-for-pakistani-women/

Edit: Please note that the Quora link above contains images of women that are not observing hijab. 

Edited by Aflower
Quora link

I think it's also very much important to know what you are wearing on your head also it's not simple thing Hijab it's big thing remember the Holy Ladies SA who used to wear it so many have hijab on their head but they have no knowledge about Islam so what should we do then?