Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

What does Islam say about writing fiction stories such as novels or short stories? I am not talking about adult or horror stories, although i am fascinated by horror and I am currently writing a horror story but I might never share it with anyone if it crosses the line. I find the art of story writing to be an excellent accompaniment to my psychology studies. By exploring different characters and their states of mind it helps me to deal with issues in my own life too, especially childhood. I enjoy creating chemistry between different characters. Writing stories also helps me to relax and express myself which has been a major issue in my life. I also think it has the potential to promote positivity in society between people and address complicated issues. Is there anything that islam does not allow in writing or reading fiction stories? 

Edited by Murtaza1
Tags

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Murtaza1 said:

What does Islam say about writing fiction stories such as novels or short stories? I am not talking about adult or horror stories, although i am fascinated by horror and I am currently writing a horror story but I might never share it with anyone if it crosses the line. I find the art of story writing to be an excellent accompaniment to my psychology studies. By exploring different characters and their states of mind it helps me to deal with issues in my own life too, especially childhood. I enjoy creating chemistry between different characters. Writing stories also helps me to relax and express myself which has been a major issue in my life. I also think it has the potential to promote positivity in society between people and address complicated issues. Is there anything that islam does not allow in writing or reading fiction stories? 

Can you share the story with me secretly? kindly. I will not share it with anybody unless you permit.

This is of my 'interest'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your interest brother. I have not yet finished writing yet but I will be happy to share it when I have finished it. However i can tell you the plot revolves around a nuclear ghost town that welcomes back the surving inheritors of their ancestors homes after 200 years. Time stood still and everything remains as it was left. The horror takes place in an old dark mansion inherited by the young male protagonist in this town. The chemistry evolves between him and the female antagonist who strikes a friedship with him in search of the mansions secrets. I wanted to keep it respctable so i have made them jews. Particularly the female as orthodox jew, this way i could give her a burka head covering, red black silky vampire style outfit and face net she sometimes puts on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Asghar Ali Karbalai said:

Can you share the story with me secretly? kindly. I will not share it with anybody unless you permit.

This is of my 'interest'.

Thank you for your interest brother. I have not yet finished writing yet but I will be happy to share it when I have finished it. However i can tell you the plot revolves around a nuclear ghost town that welcomes back the surving inheritors of their ancestors homes after 200 years. Time stood still and everything remains as it was left. The horror takes place in an old dark mansion inherited by the young male protagonist in this town. The chemistry evolves between him and the female antagonist who strikes a friedship with him in search of the mansions secrets. I wanted to keep it respctable so i have made them jews. Particularly the female as orthodox jew, this way i could give her a burka head covering, red black silky vampire style outfit and face net she sometimes puts on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Winner of GBBO Nadiya Hussain to Release Debut Fiction Novel

The much-loved winner of the sixth season of “The Great British Bake Off” Nadiya Hussain is releasing her first fiction novel later this month. The novel is titled “The Secret Lives of the Amir Sisters,” and explores life as a second generation Bangladeshi in the U.K. through the trials and tribulations the Amir family face. Faith and identity lend themselves as main themes of the novel, which see four strong Muslim women as main characters.

Representation is needed in media — and Hussain, a visible hijabi woman, has often spoken of the many facets of her identity. In an interview with the BBC regarding her position on their 100 people of 2016 list, she said, “Yes, I am Muslim, I’m Bangladeshi and I’m British — and I’m proud of all those things.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Winner of GBBO Nadiya Hussain to Release Debut Fiction Novel

The much-loved winner of the sixth season of “The Great British Bake Off” Nadiya Hussain is releasing her first fiction novel later this month. The novel is titled “The Secret Lives of the Amir Sisters,” and explores life as a second generation Bangladeshi in the U.K. through the trials and tribulations the Amir family face. Faith and identity lend themselves as main themes of the novel, which see four strong Muslim women as main characters.

Representation is needed in media — and Hussain, a visible hijabi woman, has often spoken of the many facets of her identity. In an interview with the BBC regarding her position on their 100 people of 2016 list, she said, “Yes, I am Muslim, I’m Bangladeshi and I’m British — and I’m proud of all those things.”

It is good that Nadiya Hussain is flying the flag for positive representation for her community and islam. It is inspiring. Although I do not know much about her. Personally i do not watch the news, read newspapers or keep up with popular culture anymore mainly because i have always found the mass media to be biased overal, they may support us but the tone and selection of words are cliches such as islamphobia. I take an idealist approach rather than be a complete realist and accept whatever the media throws at us, that's my personal opinion, people become conditioned, of course as muslims we know better. I am trying to take a more constructivist modern approach to life by controlling through selection what information i allow for processing in my mind through the senses. The mind  truly is an amazing machine. Gatekeeping keeps my creative juices flowing. I would not have been able to produce that dark mansion story i mentioned above if i was as conditioned as i used to be 15 yeats ago when i was at the top of keeping up with mass media and popular culture. It is a relief now. We can still reach the masses through our own channels of communication. 

Edited by Murtaza1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a huge fan of novels and writing novels etc...but would writing about something that would be considered haram according to islam be haram in itself? For example, say you write a novel about a character who does certain haram things, and the moral of the story is not to demonise and highlight said haram, instead create a likeable character out of someone who would be considered immoral from an Islamic standpoint. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 2Timeless said:

I am a huge fan of novels and writing novels etc...but would writing about something that would be considered haram according to islam be haram in itself? For example, say you write a novel about a character who does certain haram things, and the moral of the story is not to demonise and highlight said haram, instead create a likeable character out of someone who would be considered immoral from an Islamic standpoint. 

You have an interesting point. It does require us to create something and then give it an identity before we can address the moral of the issue. I guess there are different techniques such as using 1st, 2nd or 3rd person narrative voice where for example the issue can be addressed from the writer's perspective. This way it keeps us away from getting directly involved in the action and just view the events from far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...