Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
SoRoUsH

Why did God ask Iblis if he is of the arrogant or exalted ones?

Rate this topic

سلام,

اَسۡتَكۡبَرۡتَ اَمۡ كُنۡتَ مِنَ الۡعَالِيۡنَ‏ ...

What is the purpose of this question? Clearly God knew his reason! Was God curious? Did God want him to confess? Did his reply matter? Would God have forgiven him and given him a second chance after what he did?

Any acceptable narration on this part of the verse?

Thank you!

Edited by Hameedeh
Holy Qur'an 38:75

I would like to add few more questions to it. 

Was there Aaleen existed at that time? Who were they?
Does the arrogance suits to Aaleen as well? For Allah (s.w.t) we know one of His ism is "Al-Mutakabbir".

The classification 
1. The exalted ones
2. Adam (mankind)
3. Angles
4. Jinns

Jinns and angles were existed before Mankind.
Mankind is superior to angles and Jinns. 
In the first test angles and jinn were told to prostrate before mankind (Adam)
Angles raised doubts but convinced about superiority of mankind (Adam)
so they accepted (prostrated).
To convince Iblees (jinn) Allah said "you are not from Exalted ones so accept the superiority of Adam"
So as per the narration the Exalted ones are superior to everyone because they were not the part of test to accept the Mankind superiority.

Mankind (Adam) were tested in the paradise and told do not eat from cursed tree.
Few of them ate from the tree and rest who did not go near the tree were raised in status and became Exalted ones.
Those who ate from the tree given another chance by taking birth into this world and again facing the test do not eat from cursed tree.

19 minutes ago, Raheel Yunus said:

The classification 
1. The exalted ones
2. Adam (mankind)
3. Angles
4. Jinns

Jinns and angles were existed before Mankind.
Mankind is superior to angles and Jinns. 
In the first test angles and jinn were told to prostrate before mankind (Adam)
Angles raised doubts but convinced about superiority of mankind (Adam)
so they accepted (prostrated).
To convince Iblees (jinn) Allah said "you are not from Exalted ones so accept the superiority of Adam"
So as per the narration the Exalted ones are superior to everyone because they were not the part of test to accept the Mankind superiority.

Mankind (Adam) were tested in the paradise and told do not eat from cursed tree.
Few of them ate from the tree and rest who did not go near the tree were raised in status and became Exalted ones.
Those who ate from the tree given another chance by taking birth into this world and again facing the test do not eat from cursed tree.

Aaliin are the five of Ahlulbait (as). 

On 11/16/2018 at 7:14 AM, SoRoUsH said:

سلام,

What is the purpose of this question? Clearly God knew his reason! Was God curious? Did God want him to confess? Did his reply matter? Would God have forgiven him and given him a second chance after what he did?

Thank you!

Because Allah wanted everybody to know including us that there were some 'aaleeen' who are better than angels and every creature and they were not asked to prostrate before Adam(asws). They are the exalted ones.

Nice question you have raised.

@Salsabeel Should I type who are the aaleens then?????

3 hours ago, Asghar Ali Karbalai said:

Not you, for others I asked and some due to their 'Munafqat' will criticise.

May Allah curse those who have hatred for 'aaleen' as small as a size of a dot.

The world is a mirror in which you see yourself, 
What good you see in it, is you,
What evil you see in it, is you,
if you curse it, you are cursing none but yourself.

4 hours ago, Raheel Yunus said:

The world is a mirror in which you see yourself, 
What good you see in it, is you,
What evil you see in it, is you,
if you curse it, you are cursing none but yourself.

It should not upset you irrespective.

And as per your theory the evil of Firon qaarun yazeed could be in you but sorry not in me alhamdulilah.

Continuous curses on the enemies of Mohammad(saww) o Aal(asws) e Mohammad(saww).

On 11/16/2018 at 2:14 AM, SoRoUsH said:

سلام,

Thank you!

A slight digression for which I apologise, but since we are on the subject of Iblis' ...here is an interesting question to which I have never seen a satisfactory knowledgeable answer: 

Version 1) Sura 38
38:73- And the angels did obeisance, all of them, 
38:74 - But not Iblis: he was proud and he was one of the unbelievers
38:75 - He said: O Iblis! what prevented you that you should do obeisance to him whom I reated with My two hands? Are you proud or are you of the exalted ones? 
38:76 - He said: I am better than he; Thou hast created me of fire, and him Thou didst create of Dust. 
38:77 - He said: Then get out of it, for surely you are driven away:

Version 2) in Sura 15 :
15:30 - So the angels made obeisance, all of them together
15:31 - But Iblis (did it not); he refused to be with those who made obeisance.
15:32 - He said: O Iblis! what excuse have you that you are not with those who make obeisance? 
15:33 - He said: I am not such that I should make obeisance to a mortal whom Thou hast created of the essence of black mud fashioned in shape. 
15:34 - He said: Then get out of it, for surely you are driven away:

The words in the two versions are a little different; why is that?

What were the exact words Allah used with Iblis ?  Those in version 1) or version 2) ?  Or did Allah talk to Iblis twice?

Is there an opinion or an explanation?

wslm.

40 minutes ago, Quisant said:

The words in the two versions are a little different; why is that?

Keeping in view the explanation of masumeen (asws), we come to know that the discussions held between God & Iblis were detailed and in them Iblis has given some more explanations about his creation & his worshiping. I will try to find that hadith & share it here.

And if you can just ponder on the two questions, you can get some idea that these are two seperate questions:

Surah Al-Hijr, Verse 32:
قَالَ يَا إِبْلِيسُ مَا لَكَ أَلَّا تَكُونَ مَعَ السَّاجِدِينَ

He said: O Iblis! what excuse have you that you are not with those who make obeisance?
(English - Shakir)

Surah Sad, Verse 75:
قَالَ يَا إِبْلِيسُ مَا مَنَعَكَ أَن تَسْجُدَ لِمَا خَلَقْتُ بِيَدَيَّ أَسْتَكْبَرْتَ أَمْ كُنتَ مِنَ الْعَالِينَ

He said: O Iblis! what prevented you that you should do obeisance to him whom I created with My two hands? Are you proud or are you of the exalted ones?
(English - Shakir)

You can note that in 38:75 Allah (s.w.t) has reminded him as to why he failed to do obeisance to the one whom I have created with My two hands. Hence reminding him that his act is the act of disobediance of Allah s.w.t and is a kufr.

Edited by Salsabeel
Typo

Quote:

"And he was envious, so Allah (azwj) the Exalted Said: He said: “O Iblees! What prevented you from doing Sajdah to what I Created by My Hands? Are you arrogant or are you from the exalted ones?” [38:75] He said, ‘I am better than him. You Created me from fire and Created him from clay’ [38:76]. And the fire 
consumes the clay, and I am the one who worshipped You (azwj) for a long time period before You (azwj) Create Him, and I am the one whom You (azwj) Clothed with the 
feathers (wings) and the Light. And I am the one who worshipped You in the horizons of the skies along with the distressed ones, and the pure ones, and the glorifying ones, and the spiritual ones, and the ones of Proximity’. "

(Extract (تحفة اإلخوان: 62« مخطوط«.

1 hour ago, Salsabeel said:

Keeping in view the explanation of masumeen (asws), we come to know that the discussions held between God & Iblis were detailed and in them Iblis has given some more explanations about his creation & his worshiping. I will try to find that hadith & share it here.

And if you can just ponder on the two questions, you can get some idea that these are two seperate questions:

Surah Al-Hijr, Verse 32:
قَالَ يَا إِبْلِيسُ مَا لَكَ أَلَّا تَكُونَ مَعَ السَّاجِدِينَ

He said: O Iblis! what excuse have you that you are not with those who make obeisance?
(English - Shakir)

Surah Sad, Verse 75:
قَالَ يَا إِبْلِيسُ مَا مَنَعَكَ أَن تَسْجُدَ لِمَا خَلَقْتُ بِيَدَيَّ أَسْتَكْبَرْتَ أَمْ كُنتَ مِنَ الْعَالِينَ

He said: O Iblis! what prevented you that you should do obeisance to him whom I created with My two hands? Are you proud or are you of the exalted ones?
(English - Shakir)

You can note that in 38:75 Allah (s.w.t) has reminded him as to why he failed to do obeisance to the one whom I have created with My two hands. Hence reminding him that his act is the act of disobediance of Allah s.w.t and is a kufr.

Thanks for your answer but I am none the wiser.  

Are you saying that Allah had two conversations with Iblees? The second one with a different emphasis?