alHussein

Profanity/Vulgar language.

Rate this topic

Salam Alaykum shiachat users.

I was wondering is there any references in the Holy Qur'an about using rude language/cussing/swearing. Also what is the holy prophet's stance on this subject, also Is it haram to use souch language?

Wa alaikum assalam.

“And speak to people good [words]” (Quran 2:83)

“And tell My servants to say that which is best. Indeed, Satan induces [dissension] among them. Indeed Satan is ever, to mankind, a clear enemy.” (Quran 17: 53)

“O you who have believed, let not a people ridicule [another] people; perhaps they may be better than them; nor let women ridicule [other] women; perhaps they may be better than them. And do not insult one another and do not call each other by [offensive] nicknames. Wretched is the name of disobedience after [one’s] faith. And whoever does not repent – then it is those who are the wrongdoers.” (Quran 49:11)

It is not haram to use insulting language against the enemies of Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى and those who spread innovations. In fact, it is rewarding and can be wajib in some cases. 

Sayyid ‘Ali Sistani

Question:
As-Salaamun ‘alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

A video clip is circulating on social media of a mourning procession on the anniversary of the martyrdom of Imam al-Jawad (a.s.), and a group of people in the area of al-A‘dhamiyya are seen shouting abuses on ‘Umar and ‘Aisha and others.

Is such an act condemned by the highest religious leadership (marji‘iyyat)? Especially since it relates to abusing the religious symbols of our Sunni brethren and this, in turn, will further enflame the fire of blind civil strife among the Iraqi people.

Was-salaam.

Answer:

In the name of Allah, the Kind, the Merciful

This behavior is condemned and strongly objectionable, and is against what the Imams of Ahlul Bayt (a.s.) has ordered their followers (Shi‘as). Allah is the Guide.

Office of As-Sayyid As-Sistani
An-Najaf al-Ashraf
2 Dhul Hijjah 1434 (8 October 2013)

By the Grand Ayatullah H. Wahid Khurasani

Once in his lecture, Ayatullah Husayn Wahid Khurasani, the head of Hawza-e ‘Ilmiyyah of Qum, read a narration from tafsir of Imam Fakhru ’d-Dīn Rãzi in which the name of ‘Umar, the second caliph, had come.

The narration had the words, “raziyallahu ‘anhu,” and Ayatullah Wahid Khurasani recited it the way it had occurred in the book.

Some from the audience uttered words of insult regarding the caliph. Ayatullah Wahid responded by saying:

“Have I not said that in my lecture do not use such words?

By the Grand Ayatullah N. Makarim Shirazi

“…Recently a pseudo scholar, an ignorant person…has shockingly abused the wives of the Noble Prophet, and has insulted some holy entities of other sects and has accused wives of the Prophet of inappropriate things.

“Either this person is in pay [of the enemies] or is foolish and a lunatic; and more ignorant than him are those Wahhabi scholars who use such statements as a basis [for their hatred against us]. This is in spite of the fact that hundreds of Shi‘a scholars have condemned this act but they [the Wahhabis] have accepted the words of this servant [of the enemies]. This shows the illogical attitude of the Wahhabis….

“Our condemnation was publicized in the global Velayat Channel, and we have condemned every kind of insult of the wives of the Prophet. These [Wahhabis] have forgotten that the late Imam [Khumayni] declared Salman Rushdie as an apostate because of the Satanic Verses in which inappropriate things had been attributed to the Prophet’s wives.

“We should be careful to make our statements on the basis of proofs and logic, but at the same time, we should not do something that will cause conflict.”

Edited by Hameedeh
Excessively large fonts were reduced to a standard size of 14.

I think you can use swear words not in reference to insulting people. It does show somehow a lack of linguistic proficiency, however. An example: "I f'ing love chocolate!" Who doesn't!

@ali_fatheroforphans these are contextual, and regarding specific situations. If you want the general rulings on insulting the enemies of Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى by the scholars past and present, and the authentic hadiths on this, please read this thread dear brother;

https://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235031376-the-controversial-hadith-of-dawood-bin-sarhan/

At the end of the three pages, everything should be clear to you. Salam.

السَّلآمُ عَلَيْكُمْ وَرَحْمَةُ الله وبَرَكآتُه 

@ali_fatheroforphans

Ali, Who is Salman Rushdie? This name sounds familiar.

Ali, Regarding cursing the enemies of Aal(asws) e Mohammad you are mentioning fatwas of such scholars but what about 'Ziarat e Ashura' in which we openly curse 'Ibn Ziad' 'Marwan' and 'Muawiyah' (as far as I can think)? Ziarat e ashura cannot be wrong and I am sure by the brothers from other school of thoughts will get hurt by listening to these names too. So what's the point then?

@Asghar Ali Karbalai

I specifically mean using "inappropriate" language, which clearly goes against the Quran. I have listened to Ziyarat Ashura and don't really find any words used in it which can be classified as "vulgar or inappropriate". There is nothing wrong with cursing, and I actually find Zirayat Ashura very beautiful, as it just tells us to disassociate from the enemies of Ahlulbayt and curse them. I dare any user to find me at least one dua which uses inappropriate language .

The problem is when we have no sort of limit. Some extremist Shias use filthy words such as "f***k that companion" which is totally inappropriate. I don't see any difference between a Salafi and a Shia if we literally start use any filthy word that comes to our mind

This post is about using "vulgar or inappropriate" language so I don't know why some users are trying to justify it. It just goes to show that we have no sort of class or any respect for ourselves. Our choice of words is very important.

8 minutes ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

@Asghar Ali Karbalai

I specifically mean using "inappropriate" language, which clearly goes against the Quran. I have listened to Ziyarat Ashura and don't really find any words used in it which can be classified as "vulgar or inappropriate". There is nothing wrong with cursing, and I actually find Zirayat Ashura very beautiful, as it just tells us to disassociate from the enemies of Ahlulbayt and curse them. I dare any user to find me at least one dua which uses inappropriate language .

The problem is when we have no sort of limit. Some extremist Shias use filthy words such as "f***k that companion" which is totally inappropriate. I don't see any difference between a Salafi and a Shia if we literally start use any filthy word that comes to our mind

This post is about using "vulgar or inappropriate" language so I don't know why some users are trying to justify it. It just goes to show that we have no sort of class or any respect for ourselves. Our choice of words is very important.

Okay that's explains it. Thank you brother for the clarification.

You are saying that the lovers should do 'Laanah' and not use any abusive words, right?

So on this forum we can mention those 3 Calips and some other people and do 'Laanah' without any abusive words?. Is this how this site works?.

lollllll@f**k that companion

They cannot control their emotions perhaps but yes it leads to a bad image in some way. I mean there is a way to approach which is also beneficial.

Moula Ali(asws) tells us not to call even a Fake GOD as fake in front of it's believers as because it is possible that they may call your REAL GOD as fake.

The Messenger of Allah (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) said: “When you will find people of bid`ah (innovation) and doubt/suspicion after me, do baraa’ (disassociation) from them and increase in your insults (sabihim) to them, and oppose (them) and bring evidences against them so they may not become greedy in bringing fasaad (corruption) to Islam. You must warn people against them and do not learn their bid`ah (innovation). Allah will write for you hasanaat (good deeds) for this, and will raise you darajaat (levels) in the next life.’”

http://www.revivingalislam.com/2010/12/exposing-bidah-reward-for-doing-so.html?m=1

Authenticated by over 20 scholars.

1 hour ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

^

What are you achieving by bringing this vague hadith?

Do you think I can literally use any swear word I can think of? Can I make any sick joke and justify it using this hadith?

Can you be more specific?

Brother, I already linked you a thread which discusses this hadith comprehensively and mentions the views of the jurists past and present. That explains it all, if you read through the thread.

On 11/17/2018 at 12:48 AM, Sumerian said:

@ali_fatheroforphans these are contextual, and regarding specific situations. If you want the general rulings on insulting the enemies of Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى by the scholars past and present, and the authentic hadiths on this, please read this thread dear brother;

https://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235031376-the-controversial-hadith-of-dawood-bin-sarhan/

At the end of the three pages, everything should be clear to you. Salam.

9 minutes ago, Sumerian said:

Brother, I already linked you a thread which discusses this hadith comprehensively and mentions the views of the jurists past and present. That explains it all, if you read through the thread.

Oh haven't read it. Will read it inshallah.

On 11/15/2018 at 10:59 PM, alHussein said:

Salam Alaykum shiachat users.

I was wondering is there any references in the Holy Qur'an about using rude language/cussing/swearing. Also what is the holy prophet's stance on this subject, also Is it haram to use souch language?

Wa alaikum assalam.

Walaikum salaam,

I just posted this recently in another thread, but why not post it again ..