Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
yusuf44a

If Marijuana is Haram Why Do Sufis Use It?

Rate this topic

do they not believe it's haram or are they knowingly breaking the rules is there a difference of opinion between shia and sunnie sufies. are there any scholars whether sunni, shia or other sect that that say it's halal or maruk or do not have an official ruling.

well i guess it's a cultural thing

There are two sides towards it

Marijuana is a drug and like any other drug it is not najis (impure), so some scholars say that there is nothing wrong with consuming it, neither does it make you drunk

However, other scholars say that it's haram because it can cause harm to your health

Many Muslims and not just Sufis smoke marijuana and other drugs, it has turned into a norm

17 hours ago, yusuf44a said:

do they not believe it's haram or are they knowingly breaking the rules is there a difference of opinion between shia and sunnie sufies. are there any scholars whether sunni, shia or other sect that that say it's halal or maruk or do not have an official ruling.

Who said true sufis use this stuff for intoxication?

2 hours ago, yusuf44a said:

Goodness gracious

Where are you collecting your information from my dear brother?

I am speechless.

A 'Sufi' doesn't even know what is he actually wearing as because he is so lost in Allah and worship, leave alone having the senses of taking marijuana.

Medical marijuana, which is different from regular Marijuana as medical marijuana doesn’t make you high (since the properties have been changed), is halal since it’s been proven medical marijuana has properties that can greatly reduce seizures in some people with abnormal epilepsy. 

There was a little girl who had 60 seizures per day to the point where she stopped talking, walking, moving, and was like she was on bed rest. She used medical marijuana, and she started functioning again and the seizures went from 60 per day to once a week. This girl’s parents had spent thousands upon thousands of dollars on medications, and treatments which would repeatedly fail. This was a last resort.

however, marijuana, the recreational kind, the one that makes you high, has been shown to decrease concentration, brain cognition, and leads to an increase of anxiety after usage, and when abused, leads to mental impairment.  

Medical marijuana is halal. Non-medical marijuana is haram.  

On 11/1/2018 at 10:23 PM, yusuf44a said:

"Sufis use it" is just a gross generalisation, and frankly not true.

It's too easy to make gross generalizations on these topics and take stances off misconceptions. 

The idea of a Sufi itself is very individualistic in it's nature, so to state intentions or reasons for or against would have to be based on a certain Muslims reasons (not an entire vague category of the "Sufi") and goals in doing so. 

While it certainly brings to mind the image of stoners or more delinquent types, Sufis that use drugs in their practices traditionally most usually do so in a very controlled environment for specific initiatiatic reasons (particularly within Sufi orders). These types of Sufis, like the rest of us are still living by the Quran and Hadith but have a different approach to their methods (or "technologies") of connecting with Allah. Their goals are not to move away from Allah into immorality but rather to move closer to Allah and their experience of the divine. (pure-at-heart but exploring altered states of consciousness, receiving visions etc which also happen outside of drugs too remember)

Within scholarship (both Islamic and non-Islamic academia) you will find many varying stances of the philosophical and spiritual essence of drugs, there is no clear distinction within even Islam itself. (well, literalist conservative Sunni's have a default ideology set against it)

I don't take drugs myself but I find the discussion fascinating, there is very much deep discussion on many levels (like the aforementioned philosophical level) within many religions on the topic.

Edited by HakimPtsid

On 11/2/2018 at 6:21 AM, 3wliya_maryam said:

well i guess it's a cultural thing

There are two sides towards it

Marijuana is a drug and like any other drug it is not najis (impure), so some scholars say that there is nothing wrong with consuming it, neither does it make you drunk

However, other scholars say that it's haram because it can cause harm to your health

Many Muslims and not just Sufis smoke marijuana and other drugs, it has turned into a norm

do you know of any specific scholars that condone it or say there is nothing wrong with consuming it? i don't care if there sunni or shia.

3 hours ago, yusuf44a said:

do you know of any specific scholars that condone it or say there is nothing wrong with consuming it? i don't care if there sunni or shia.

Imam Khamenei said it is haram except for medical use ,it stated I n above video.

22 minutes ago, Asghar Ali Karbalai said:

Hasheesh I think arabic name?

Hashesh is a different plant & it’s very sddictive .

30 minutes ago, Asghar Ali Karbalai said:

benefits

you get high - thats 

encourages neurogenesis

30 minutes ago, Asghar Ali Karbalai said:

disadvantages

you forget your morals for a limited time, and you also gradually die when your respiratory organs begin to shrink and wither. kills your brain cells, negates REM of your eye movement during sleep. 

intoxicant 

it disrupts your conciouceness 

5 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Imam Khamenei said it is haram except for medical use ,it stated I n above video.

Hashesh is a different plant & it’s very sddictive .

Oh, I Meant for recreational or spiritual use. Hash is a concentrated form of marijuana made from the same plant. I don't see any thing wrong with medicinal use under a doctors supervision.

9 hours ago, Asghar Ali Karbalai said:

What happens right after somebody smokes marijuana?

What is the urdu and arabic name of it?

Can I get it in UAE or Pakistan?

I want to try if it is good for health.

Bhang :grin: used as addictive at Barbara and shrine by sufis. It is haram as this is not good for health and has narcotics effects.

33 minutes ago, Zulfiqar1472 said:

Bhang :grin: used as addictive at Barbara and shrine by sufis. It is haram as this is not good for health and has narcotics effects.

I think a better translation for marijuana would be ganja.

4 hours ago, yusuf44a said:

Oh, I Meant for recreational or spiritual use. Hash is a concentrated form of marijuana made from the same plant.

It hasn’t any recreational or spiritual use ,Hash is older & was common between sufis in Iran but marijuana is modernized version of it all of them are coming from same plant but from different parts & different quality of it .

Hash was using by Shisha instead of Tobacco on top of it & it was mostly for upper classes but Bhang was for poor people as lower quality , marijuana was worst part of it that even poor people hardly was using it but it becomes popular recently.  

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

19 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

It hasn’t any recreational or spiritual use ,Hash is older & was common between sufis in Iran but marijuana is modernized version of it all of them are coming from same plant but from different parts & different quality of it .

Hash was using by Shisha instead of Tobacco on top of it & it was mostly for upper classes but Bhang was for poor people as lower quality , marijuana was worst part of it that even poor people hardly was using it but it becomes popular recently.  

oh, thank you. that answers my question. 

On 11/3/2018 at 2:17 AM, Sirius_Bright said:

When did sufi become reference for halal and haram? For us shias, sufis are a deviant sect and a deviant sect can have haraam things permissible. 

there are shia sufi orders to but most are sunni. i just wanted to know if those that use it consider it haram and do it anyway or genuinely thought it is permissible because it's not directly forbidden in the quran. 

They take it because they don't care. Sufism is a mix of Islam , mythology and emotionalizism. See , Marijuana or for that matter any other intoxicating drug induces a temporary  euphoria and hence an escalated spiritual state in which all the Sufi experiences become more vivid and real. But if we suppose God created this world and he is the kind of omnipotent God and just God as described by Islam , he would not want you to take Marijuana to discover him.

On 11/8/2018 at 12:57 PM, Ruqaya101 said:

you forget your morals for a limited time,

Being single with high levels of testosterone, one thing that it does is to turn off unwanted advances. Certain ladies don't want slow moving brothers. So that morality is secure like a safety belt.

On 11/8/2018 at 12:57 PM, Ruqaya101 said:

it disrupts your conciouceness

waswas disrupts consciousness whether marijuana toxicated or not.

What remains in the body is the germ tar(like a residue), a major negative. It is like filth from marijuana left in the body & the projectors of waswas love filth. imo.

On 11/2/2018 at 11:08 AM, Soldiers and Saffron said:

Marijuana is an intoxicant that dulls the senses and affects your mental state of mind. Just like alcohol does, although the effect is different both of them affect your state of mind. If one says that marijuana is halal then one must also that alcohol is halal.

There are no major Shia marjaee that allow marijuana to be used for fun as far as I am aware.

But alcohol is very damaging to your liver too. Apart from the obvious impact on the lungs, is there any other harmful health impact that marijuana has? 

Edited by Ali~J

On 7/18/2019 at 8:58 AM, Ali~J said:

Apart from the obvious impact on the lungs, is there any other harmful health impact that marijuana has

Brain health is impaired, especially of the boys/toys nextdoor who are sent to take photos for satan's wallpaper. 

1 hour ago, Mzwakhe said:

Brain health is impaired, especially of the boys/toys nextdoor who are sent to take photos for satan's wallpaper. 

Sugar impairs brain health too but that's not haraam. 

13 minutes ago, Ali~J said:

that's not haraam. 

is it the sugar impairing the brain or is it the sugar itself?

On 11/1/2018 at 11:23 PM, yusuf44a said:

do they not believe it's haram or are they knowingly breaking the rules is there a difference of opinion between Shia and sunnie sufies. are there any scholars whether Sunni, Shia or other sect that that say it's halal or maruk or do not have an official ruling.

First solidify your proof that Sufi's believe this.

Once that is established we can continue.

Edited by Faruk