Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
3wliya_maryam

What are your views on Halloween?

Rate this topic

Salam guys

what do you y'all think of Halloween? I have friends who tell me it's haram because you're copying those people who worship shaytan even though that's not your intention and you're only doing it for fun, you're still following their ways or something. Then they talk about the history of halloween and why people celebrate it, and how it's all linked to shayateen

I mean I get their point, but then my family keeps saying that everything depends on your intention which is also true. They even let my younger bro go trick or treating lols

The last time I went trick or treating was when I was 12 with my younger sister who was 7

and I distinctly remember knocking on the door, my sister ready for some more lollies, super excited and all, but then this kid opens the door and he looks me dead in the eye, leans forward and whispers in such a low voice, "you need to run before HE comes" see, I was very stupid back then so I said with my jolly loud and happy voice, " HAHA common kid my sister wants her lollies and I kind of want to go home, you have some or not?" :blabla:

so he looks down, literally for 10 seconds before his head jerks back up so suddenly, and whispers again "run, run, run, HE will come for you if you dont leave" okay I aint loving this conversation and got really worried for the kid so stupid me asked him, "kid, you okay, who is HE, is HE hurting you?" :confused: I was genuinely worried, this guy deserves an Oscar award.

kid- this time he screams, "HE IS COMING, I FEEL IT" then shuts the door. My sister and I look at each other like , nah we aint scared, until... we hear the most dreaded voice ever...

We hear a dog bark. :censored:

sis, I lost it! I left my sister and ran for my life, I was doing my tasbeeh, saying the Shahadat, reading ayat al curse, you name it! I never did trick or treating again! ever! 

it wasn't until I reached home safely alhamdulilah that my mum asked me where my sister was, and I was like hell no I aint going back. 

My sister and I laugh at this every single time, that kid needs a grammy award too.:hahaha:

little update on my life- im still scared of dogs, but only the big ones, im not scared of the tiny ones. and im not scared of huskies either. I actually want a husky... and whenever I do see a big dog, I usually hyperventilate but then my flight response kicks in and im actually calm when they're close by. 

The only reason most arabs are scared of dogs is because well for me personally, my parents always made it out to seem like they were dinosaurs out to kill us. they would make a worrying face and say "no dont go next to that, dont touch it, 3aw 3aw" :hahaha:.  @3wliya_maryam, you know what I mean aye?

15 minutes ago, Ruqaya101 said:

The last time I went trick or treating was when I was 12 with my younger sister who was 7

and I distinctly remember knocking on the door, my sister ready for some more lollies, super excited and all, but then this kid opens the door and he looks me dead in the eye, leans forward and whispers in such a low voice, "you need to run before HE comes" see, I was very stupid back then so I said with my jolly loud and happy voice, " HAHA common kid my sister wants her lollies and I kind of want to go home, you have some or not?" :blabla:

so he looks down, literally for 10 seconds before his head jerks back up so suddenly, and whispers again "run, run, run, HE will come for you if you dont leave" okay I aint loving this conversation and got really worried for the kid so stupid me asked him, "kid, you okay, who is HE, is HE hurting you?" :confused: I was genuinely worried, this guy deserves an Oscar award.

kid- this time he screams, "HE IS COMING, I FEEL IT" then shuts the door. My sister and I look at each other like , nah we aint scared, until... we hear the most dreaded voice ever...

We hear a dog bark. :censored:

sis, I lost it! I left my sister and ran for my life, I was doing my tasbeeh, saying the Shahadat, reading ayat al curse, you name it! I never did trick or treating again! ever! 

it wasn't until I reached home safely alhamdulilah that my mum asked me where my sister was, and I was like hell no I aint going back. 

My sister and I laugh at this every single time, that kid needs a grammy award too.:hahaha:

little update on my life- im still scared of dogs, but only the big ones, im not scared of the tiny ones. and im not scared of huskies either. I actually want a husky... and whenever I do see a big dog, I usually hyperventilate but then my flight response kicks in and im actually calm when they're close by. 

The only reason most arabs are scared of dogs is because well for me personally, my parents always made it out to seem like they were dinosaurs out to kill us. they would make a worrying face and say "no dont go next to that, dont touch it, 3aw 3aw" :hahaha:.  @3wliya_maryam, you know what I mean aye?

HAHHAHAAHHAHHHAHAHHA IM DONE 

THAT KID GOT YOU HARD 

and your poor sister I wonder how she made it home

and wallah same I hate dogs so much and I get scared when they're not on the leash because they literally run to you and sniff and lick you with their najis tongues

Dogs are so nice (when they're not vicious and crazed). If I'm passing by somebody playing fetch with their dog I like to pretend that I'm also trying to fetch the ball or stick and race the dog to get it. I think dogs enjoy this extra unexpected little twist to the game. 

1 hour ago, 3wliya_maryam said:

what do you y'all think of Halloween?

Its all for fun. I am not averse to letting the kids go trick or treating and getting candy. 

I have friends who tell me it's haram because you're copying those people who worship shaytan even though that's not your intention and you're only doing it for fun, you're still following their ways or something.

To each their own. I am of the opinion that by letting my kids dress up (they are both dressing up as Superheroes, not anything ghoulish or scary) and letting them go out with their friends to get some candy isn't turning them into Satan worshippers. Of course, the opinion of someone who grew up the West will be different from someone in a country that does not do Halloween. 

Then they talk about the history of halloween and why people celebrate it, and how it's all linked to shayateen

As I said above, to each their own. I find that the people that speak out the most against it live or are from a country where Halloween isn't done. As such, I don't view their opinions as valid. Its like asking someone in South America for their opinion on Nauroz. They just don't know what it is and only base their opinions on heresay.

1 hour ago, Aflower said:

I'm going trick or treating now with my kids. :grin:

My kids already started...:D

The only valid objection that I would put stock in is that this year is that it is falling in Safar. 

59 minutes ago, notme said:

Halloween is not satanic. It is a Christian holiday comparable to the Mexican Day of the Dead. It is a celebration of All Souls, and the day after is All Saints Day. 

A mixture of Christian and pre-Christian pagan stuff

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samhain

"Samhain was seen as a liminal time, when the boundary between this world and the Otherworld could more easily be crossed"

That's where the spooks and ghosts come from I guess, but I think the association with satanic stuff is probably newer

Halloween is just an excuse for my hubby and I to wear matching outfits/costumes and get candy. 

Nothing wrong with trick or treating. It's just fun for the kids (and the teens who want to spend time with their friends and get some candy).

I think those who are digging deep into its "roots" and the "pagan" origins,etc., have nothing better to do in their life but cause others to be sad or regretful. Stop being so serious for once and chill :grin:

26 minutes ago, realizm said:

:salam:

You mean an Protestant American holiday right ? :)

Catholics too, and some branches of Protestants are opposed to celebrating it. But mostly yes. 

7 hours ago, 3wliya_maryam said:

and your poor sister I wonder how she made it home

have you met my sister?  if that girl sees a jinni, she will laugh in his face. she thinks everything a joke :hahaha:

the amount of times I have tried scaring her and all she does is look at me like im a lunatic (partly true though) :hahaha:

remember when the coffee spilled all over the human biology desk? damn it!

5 hours ago, Sumerian said:

Imitating the kafirs, in costume, acts, and other things, is reprehensible.

Love of the dunya brother.  Sayyida Zaynab and Imam Zein al 3bideen are returning from Sham with the heads of our beloved Imam, Abal Fadthil, Ali Akbar and there is a far disconnect with the commemoration.

In Iraq, families old and young hosted 25 million pilgrims and on the other side of the world it's a day of humiliation begging for candy.  How desperate!

Edited by Laayla

11 hours ago, Ruqaya101 said:

In fact they are one of the most lovable creations of Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى, big or small,even though they are najis. Telling from my own experience.

15 minutes ago, AbdusSibtayn said:

In fact they are one of the most lovable creations of Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى, big or small,even though they are najis. Telling from my own experience.

they are and I wish, I literally wish that I wasn't so afraid of them. but for the love go god, my brain doesn't listen to me. I lived with my family friends for 3 months when my parent left to go to Iraq and they had a husky and I just loved him. But just the ones that are massive and bark and so active, they just freak me out.

3 hours ago, Ruqaya101 said:

they are and I wish, I literally wish that I wasn't so afraid of them. but for the love go god, my brain doesn't listen to me. I lived with my family friends for 3 months when my parent left to go to Iraq and they had a husky and I just loved him. But just the ones that are massive and bark and so active, they just freak me out.

Don't worry ukhti. It takes some time to gain their trust. Once that is done, they'll love you more than they love themselves.

8 hours ago, Laayla said:

Love of the dunya brother.  Sayyida Zaynab and Imam Zein al 3bideen are returning from Sham with the heads of our beloved Imam, Abal Fadthil, Ali Akbar and there is a far disconnect with the commemoration.

In Iraq, families old and young hosted 25 million pilgrims and on the other side of the world it's a day of humiliation begging for candy.  How desperate!

With regards to your first sentence, I respect where you are coming from with this sister. I have to admit that this thought has crossed my mind too. I am guilty as charged with regards to this. But I disagree that it is love for the dunya. Life is so monotonous for Muslims in general and activities like this just adds an element of levity and fun.

Also, no one is begging for candy/sweets. It's like when you go to someone's house during Eid and eat sweets there - no one is begging. One expects them to be offered and the guests are expected to eat them. Halloween is similar sister. It may be difficult to identify with this custom if you haven't seen it or experienced it first hand.

Halloween is also an occasion for neighborhood socializing. Sure, we should go out and talk with and visit with neighbors at other times, but life is hectic. For many people, this is the only occasion to go around visiting or for the neighbors who have children to come around for a visit. 

I don't have a problem with Halloween as long as it is celebrated after Muharram aka ayam-e-aza (days of mourning) or to put it in simpler terms - as long as the flag on Imam Hussain's dome stays black, we don't celebrate anything including birthdays, anniversaries, Thanksgiving, Halloween, etc.

Some of you may already know I can get pretty sarcastic at times (often). So a few years ago a friend was trying to convince me that it was okay to celebrate Halloween in Muharram. I basically told her that in that case, she should dress up her kids as prisoners in honor of the prisoners of Karbala so at least her kids can learn about mourning for Hussain while celebrating a pagan festival. 

She thought I was rude!!!

3 hours ago, Aflower said:

With regards to your first sentence, I respect where you are coming from with this sister. I have to admit that this thought has crossed my mind too. I am guilty as charged with regards to this. But I disagree that it is love for the dunya. Life is so monotonous for Muslims in general and activities like this just adds an element of levity and fun.

Also, no one is begging for candy/sweets. It's like when you go to someone's house during Eid and eat sweets there - no one is begging. One expects them to be offered and the guests are expected to eat them. Halloween is similar sister. It may be difficult to identify with this custom if you haven't seen it or experienced it first hand.

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum Dear Sister.

Thank you for taking the time sister for responding and explaining.  I appreciate your sincerity, Mash'Allah, God bless you.  I know I was pushing the envelope with the begging part, but I wanted people to reflect and see how far people take part in cultural activities in the West, and at the same time complain about how they despise when culture mixes in with religion in the East. 

Imam Hussain's 3la salam martydom sister doesn't stop at the 10th of Muharram.  If we are really cognizant his remembrance is year round.  How so?  The fact that Imam Hussain wanted us to mention him when we drink water and curse his killers, shows you whenever you are thirsty, "Remember Hussain."  He was beheaded, thirsty for three days.  Horses trampled his holy chest.  No mercy to even his infant child at 6 months.  And then Arb3een dear sister, is when Imam Zein al 3bideen asks his beloved Aunt Sayyida Zaynab 3laha Salam, "We have reached the road towards Medina and the road towards Karbala, which road do you want to take?"  Sayyida Zaynab said, "What is left for me in Medina."  And they continued to Karbala.  

So what is the importance of Arbaeen dear sister?  This is what Jabir al Ansari said to his servent Atiyyah. My emphasis in bold.

Thereafter Jabir felt the presence around the grave and said: “Peace be upon you and the spirits that have descended in the neighbourhood of al-Husayn, peace be upon him … I bear witness that you were steadfast in your prayers and gave the zakat and you commanded the good and prohibited the forbidden and struggled against the deniers of religion and you worshipped Allah until conviction came to you. I swear by the One Who sent Muhammad as a Prophet with truth; surely we participated with you in what you encountered.”

‘Atiyyah (not understanding this powerful statement made by Jabir) says: I asked Jabir: “How can that be possible, while we did not descend on any valley, nor did we climb any mountainous area, nor did we fight with the sword, whereas the heads of the group of al-Husayn, peace be upon him, have been separated from their bodies, their children were made orphans and their women were made widows?”

Jabir said: “O ‘Atiyyah, I heard from my beloved, the Apostle of Allah, peace be upon him and his family, say: ‘Whosoever loves a nation, will be resurrected with them, and whosoever loves the deed of a nation, will be considered one who has participated in that deed (with them). I swear by the One Who Sent Muhammad as a Prophet in truth, surely my intention and the intention of my companions is according to the intention of al-Husayn and his companions.”

I'm all for children having fun and enjoying activities, playing and creating wonderful memories.  We have this available in our religion.  3id al Ghadeer should be the

ultimate 3id.  Like a huge birthday party, the whole shabang!  Yet, this is being neglected in our Shia circles unfortunately.  After these 10 days of Safar are over, Rasoul Allah's birthday will be in our midst. Will Shias celebrate with their children this event?  Cake, mawlid, decorations, anything?  But Halloween and Christmas, of course no question about it.

First Arbaeen pilgrimage

God bless you and your children dear sister.  Please know my intention is not to put a guilt trip on anyone.  I'm just bringing awareness and a reminder from one sister to another.  Insh'Allah we all gain m3rifat of our beloved Ahulbayt.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah