Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Does tobacco intoxicate you?

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, Share said:

Does tobacco intoxicate you?

Don't think so...  It just:

• coats your lungs with sticky tar embedded with carcinogens
  • replaces the oxygen in your blood with carbon monoxide so that the cells cannot replicate and do repair work as needed
  • destroys the tiny hairs (cilia) in the lungs, that brush the surfaces to keep clean lungs and keep bad stuff out
  • contains oxidizing chemicals that attack your heart and blood vessels
  • contains heavy metals that attack your nervous system

But no, it is not an intoxicant per se, but it is highly addictive so I guess it would depend on a broader definition of the word intoxicant as it makes you do what you probably don't want to do (become desperate for more just to feel normal).

Edited by Maryaam

Moral intoxication for sure- If you could stop yourself from tobacco, you could save yourself from tons of peripheral damages.

First being the fraternity of tobacco, you must have seen how many friendships are made between those who are forced to stand outside a restaurant at smoke time. Many times that fraternity induces other sort of corruption. Equally important; drug abuse which mostly comes after (along with) the tobacco.

Lots of parents here keep HS kids off of drugs, alcohol, bad company, and all kinds of weird parties by keeping them away from smoking cigarettes.

Edited by Irfani313

1 hour ago, Maryaam said:

Don't think so...  It just:

• coats your lungs with sticky tar embedded with carcinogens
  • replaces the oxygen in your blood with carbon monoxide so that the cells cannot replicate and do repair work as needed
  • destroys the tiny hairs (cilia) in the lungs, that brush the surfaces to keep clean lungs and keep bad stuff out
  • contains oxidizing chemicals that attack your heart and blood vessels
  • contains heavy metals that attack your nervous system

But no, it is not an intoxicant per se, but it is highly addictive so I guess it would depend on a broader definition of the word intoxicant as it makes you do what you probably don't want to do (become desperate for more just to feel normal).

Yup...as far as bodily damage goes its horrible. As a former smoker I can speak on the addictive qualities of it. However, its not so much the tobacco that's damaging as the other chemicals (Tar mainly) that really damage your body.

I smoked for 7 years, quit for almost 10. Started again for 2 years and then stopped again about 2 years ago (had to take a prescription med to help with quitting) and even now I still have cravings. 

Best not to start smoking in the first place.

Edited by Akbar673

Tobacco must intoxicate me. l'm on my third pack today.

As far as l know, nicotine is the mildest alkaloid.

CHANGE: l didn't know l was 'out' and now starting my 4th, 4 minutes since initial post.

Edited by hasanhh