Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Darth Vader

Make Shiachat Shiachat again

notme

We have given leeway for members to air their grievances in a polite and reasonable manner, but this is definitely not permission to condemn individual moderators or discuss specific details of a moderator action (beyond generalities). According to rule #9, discussions on moderator actions are to be discussed privately by PM.

Message added by notme

Rate this topic

8 hours ago, Darth Vader said:

Do you dislike the new, complicated check mark style navigation method?

Do you think the website navigational changes are confusing, time wasting and unnecessary?

So how come no one is discussing these points and instead turning this into a Mod bashing thread?

Personally, I'd love to see a return to the old format but alas all things must move forward. If this indeed the state of things to come on all forums across the internet then :helpsos:.

35 minutes ago, ShiaMan14 said:

What @Darth Vader is really saying is:

mscga.jpg

I, for one, am thankful to all the Mods for their hard work.

Not easy putting up with the likes of me.

But wasn't it already great, made great again in 2016 after mod elections? How can we make it great if its already great? :D

2 minutes ago, Akbar673 said:

So how come no one is discussing these points and instead turning this into a Mod bashing thread?

Personally, I'd love to see a return to the old format but alas all things must move forward. If this indeed the state of things to come on all forums across the internet then :helpsos:.

I don't understand. "things must move "forward""? They should be made improved and friendlier. If things are instead worse then they haven't moved forward despite all the fancy features and chrome polished door knobs and all, they are called broken!

26 minutes ago, Darth Vader said:

But wasn't it already great, made great again in 2016 after mod elections? How can we make it great if its already great? :D

Well you are reminiscing about the good old days by asking SC to SC again when it is currently SC.

How can you make something what it already is???

I should mention that for that particular poem I wrote, i PMd an admin saying that posted the poem and copied it into the message. The admin said it was fine. A few hours later, a mod took it down. 

The admin said that the post was taken down and I know it didn’t violate SC rules. 

I think there needs to be justice, and Shiachat mods need to understand this. There should be no bending of the rules. If one user insults a maraja, then straight up ban him, our site doesn't need those kind of users. There's nothing to lose.

Instead, our mods would rather watch the thread escalate and then send a mod note saying - "I'm proud of you Shiachat users for arguing responsibly".

Rules are rules.

5 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

"I'm proud of you Shiachat users for arguing responsibly".

That was me.

I'm an old timer from back in the chaotic old days when there was a lot more flexibility with the rules. Plus everyone knows I'm the lenient moderator, the one everyone asks to argue on their behalf to the rest of the team if they feel they've been treated harshly.

Pretty sure he was banned later anyway.

Most members complain of too-strict moderation, which is absolutely necessary at times. I've rarely heard complaints about being too easygoing. Good thing there's strict moderators too - we can keep everyone happy or everyone unhappy!

8 minutes ago, notme said:

Plus everyone knows I'm the lenient moderator, the one everyone asks to argue on their behalf to the rest of the team if they feel they've been treated harshly.

You're a great mod, one who I really respect.

Imo there is nothing harsh about following the rules when it comes to banning.

I love @notme as a mod. Very neutral, fair, respectful—like how a mod ideally should be.

Lots of needless alarmism.

Let us please move over simplistic, monocausal-deterministic junior high school blame- games and suggest concrete, workable solutions to re- invigorate the site.

Sincerest apologies if I came off as being disrespectful or harsh.

7 hours ago, Reza said:

The new system lets you see a list of topics from multiple subforums (or even the whole site), all on one page, all at once. Makes it much easier to browse new topics.

In the old system, you had to open each subforum one at a time, either clicking the back button constantly, or having multiple tabs/windows open. It was horribly inefficient. 

The only appeal of the old system was its familiarity, definitely not its functionality.

With all due respect, even now we are clicking constantly. Click to select a subforum then select another and both are selected. Then you click the old one again to deselect it. Click-click-clickity-click. But the layout makes the website look like Gmail. Just saying.

A wise person appreciates a bit of criticism and takes it constructively, which I am happy to see. Tbh I was surprised to see how many SC'ers responded to this thread. We should care for each other. As for me, I am always up for positive contribution to the site and like to post content after content with each of my fabulous posts.

8 hours ago, Reza said:

Generally, members aren’t banned by the whim of an individual mod, but by consensus among the mod team, typically after long discussions, and only after multiple prior warnings, suspensions, mod previews, and a million chances to correct rule violations you guys don’t see.

In fact, I think that in several cases that I can recollect, the mods have been too lenient towards the members in question. 

If only those louts were given a nice twisting of their ears and hauled up for their uncivil and uncouth behaviour then and there, we could have greatly curbed the toxicity and garbage-sprinkling that goes around in many of the threads in the guise of 'putting strong opinions' and 'free discussion/expression'.

We can do without such social pollutants alright. Their presence was never indispensable.

If you can please just take one thing away from  this thread is to change the draining format back to what it was.  It has been over a year and I'm not going through nostalgia as @Reza mentioned, this format is horrendous.

BTW, Banned Members thread is not being updated.  Warning points should not stay indefinitely a point should be removed once a year and pardons should be made during 3id.

Who says yay?  :)

(I wonder who is the Resistance lol)  @hasanhh

Yes, please, take it easy on the warning points and banning, agree to look into it and everyone will be happier. Like Laayla has so wisely suggested, the warning points should not be permanent. And 3 instant warning points in stead of 1 are not very helpful. People make mistakes and in Islam it is so very mustahab and wholesome when we forgive mistakes.

If not then no big deal.

Edited by Darth Vader

On 10/29/2018 at 7:28 AM, Darth Vader said:

:salam:

Fellow SC'ers, I bring to you my proposal to make this place what it was originally.

Do you dislike the new, complicated check mark style navigation method?

Do you think the website navigational changes are confusing, time wasting and unnecessary?

And above all, do you think there should be new elections for new admin and mod team?

To make ShiaChat, SHIACHAT again.

THEN THIS IS THE THREAD YOU SHOULD VOICE YOUR CONCERN.

Now is the time.

JUST SAY NO TO HIM. :D

[Mod Note: Huge image was removed from this quote. See the image in the quote above.]

We cant share phone numbers but we can give our facebook url on our profile, what's the difference?

Admins are biased here, if you reply them in some discussion against their view point they will keep an strict eye on you and then ban for xyz reasons.

Are you the owner of this website because I would like to speak with one who manages admins.

Edited by Hameedeh
Quote was shortened in length.

@Reza
Salam. Thank you for your comment. I just wanted to add that all the SC members are great - both then and now. I did not say that the members were better then. I just meant to say that when I was a  young teenager I appreciated that there was a mix of young SC members and some others who had more life experiences that I found insightful. 

Edited by Aflower
P.S. I don’t know why my message is formatted so oddly. I can’t edit it.

I don't like any member getting banned specifically the nasibis who come here to spread their filth. They are looking to get banned so they can wear it as a badge of honor - "look shias couldn't handle my truth so they banned me"

Suspension works

Thanks for taking your time to reply @Reza. Definitely, the forum, in my opinion, is better in all ways compared to the past. I'm happy to hear implemented ideas are being evaluated and iterated. If I come across a shorter list of categories, I will suggest it, for sure.

---

Regarding moderation, I think you guys are considering past moderation as something better when, at least for me, it was the other way around. Being one of the evidently controversial members of this community, I've noticed much progress in the way SC deals with moderation, discussions and chats.

SC moderation may have lost some neutrality, yes... For the better. Sociologically speaking, and this is backed by social sciences, neutrality leads to the spreading of intolerance. You can't be neutral with intolerants, and I remember the so called good old days full of an intolerant, sexist, racist and LGBTphobic discourse that even Bolsonaro would feel ashamed to say. And sadly, that would slightly reach staff members (and I truly believe they had the best of intentions, but we have to use our head a bit because these topics are highly important). I preferred to respect rules and behaviours I honestly don't share and find condemnable, because Internet is not a democracy and respectful free speech is sometimes censored.

I don't think frequent banning serves any good purpose. Except for the cases of perverts, which aren't few. But for the most part, one should consider what pushes someone to get banned. And again, I believe it is neutrality. Let an intolerant person speak and speak, and eventually, you will see the reality behind intolerance, which is ignorance. Correcting a person's ignorance doesn't require a ban, just a claim. Problem is that many of these cases are mixed with apparently islamic behaviours and ideas, lacking absolutely a sense of common sense. And the way I see it, it brings the wrong idea that Islam is a non-sensical religion. I see this, honestly, way worse than those who just insult a marja, as they put it easy for all, they commit an evident fault and deceive no one.

---

Lastly, as it has been mentioned in this topic, I would like to add that specifically @Khadim uz Zahra is committed to his position and active, and one of those mods who use common sense without rushing any decision. Duas for him to get good marks fee sabeel Allah.

Edited by Bakir

On 10/30/2018 at 2:00 PM, Haji 2003 said:

Getting me to moderate my own posts. :blush:

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum.

I'm glad you know the reasons of my warnings.  We are grown adults and sometimes we use particular words for types of people who are corrupted, immoral, God less people.

We have that right to express our feelings in a particular way, atleast I believe so.  I believe anger in the right time, particular circumstances is natural to express.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah