Guest One

Sinéad O'Connor reverted to Islam

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, HakimPtsid said:

And for me too, though I suppose I have a unique case because I was an occultist (meaning comparative religion also became part of my daily life) who got fascinated, then very greatly immersed in so-called "Sufism" - which caused me to develop a completely different view on Islam than the West (and Muslim communities/forums I've interacted with - being usually really dogmatic Sunni's) portray. Shia (Ismailism in particular) attracts me to Islam far more than Sunni's. 

yes, I know brothers here in Italy that come from the circles of esotericism and traditionalism, many come close to Shia or Sufism after reading Guénon, Evola etc. or especially Corbin.

10 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

I agree, I think people have that misconception of cutting yourself off from the world once you convert to Islam. Obviously that’s not the case with the majority, unless you’re choosing to be alone or “cliquey”.

i think that in Sinéad’s case, she has been married for quite some time now. I doubt she converted to Islam for a man since I think her husband is non-Muslim. 

I agree, people get upset for no good reason nowadays. These people, for all intents and purposes, need to shut up and respect her decision to post public pictures of her faith and ayahs from the Quran.

Edited by Gaius I. Caesar

9 hours ago, Guest One said:

yes, I know brothers here in Italy that come from the circles of esotericism and traditionalism, many come close to Shia or Sufism after reading Guénon, Evola etc. or especially Corbin.

Interesting! I didn't come to Islam/Shia through them but I have indeed read some of Guenon's and Evola's books. I've read much of the canon of Hermetic/alchmical literature (from Paracelsus to Dee to Eliphas Levi, to Crowley). I've explored most religions at this point, finding most favor in Islam and Hinduism (which Occultism tends to be a repackaging of). 

In Islam, our 'heretical' Islamic esotericists/magi and Sufi's have added a lot of really innovative ideas that where stolen by Western Occultism. You can't win really (there is still a lot of stigma towards Islam itself in the west, sadly) but more greater awareness towards these topics (such as the diversity in Islam, which is completely invisible to the Western world) is much needed! 

:)

(Interesting you note Evola though, cause I know a Sufi who's quite appreciative of his work!)

17 hours ago, Guest One said:

Alhamdulillah. InShaAllah she remains happy with her conversion to Islam. I hope she continues to learn about Islam and doesn't feel bad about negative comments from Muslims and nonMuslims. 

"The older generation would have grown up listening to her" 

She's only 51!

I guess you have seen her updates on twitter but she's sufi, she sees no difference between hair and a hijab (and shaving your head is the same as a hijab), and she has no plan's to start obeying men. 

Obeying men is not a part of Islam. Islam is not about submitting to any man, it’s about submitting to Allah سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى. Obeying men is cultural issue, not religious.

yes, men have some degree of responsibility over the family, but that does not mean that a woman is meant to be submissive to her husband or to men.