2Timeless

Pet cat

Rate this topic

Salam, 

I love cats and I really want to get one. But my family has been saying that the fatwa on cat hair whilst praying is putting them off. I know that ayatollah sayyed sistani says that if there are one to three hairs on you your prayer is valid, but if there's more it's no longer valid. I follow ayatollah sayyed shirazi, but im guessing that they both have similar rulings, but I couldn't find ayatollah shirazi's rulings on pet cats. 

Does anyone here have a pet cat? Is it practical to have one (in terms of salah)? I suggested that we all keep a separate set of clothes in our prayer mats that we change into when we pray (even if we may not have cat hair on us) to make sure that our clothes are clean. Does this sound like too much of a hassle? I personally think it's a very very small compromise. Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to ensure you're tahir during salah? 

Edited by 2Timeless

Tthis is just my personal opinion and I don’t want to put you off but I wouldn’t feel like changing my clothes and then changing back just to pray. Or what if you have hairs and don’t notice and go out somewhere and pray with those clothes? What if you’re in a hurry? Also what if the cat has licked you and you forget to wash it or something? Idk about the other scholars but Ayt Khamenei says the saliva invalidates the prayer. I feel like I’d rather be safe than sorry when it comes to things I can prevent that invalidate prayer. 

Edited by eloquence

Although cat saliva isn't najis, having it on you will invalidate your prayer. So you have to take in that consideration too.

Having a cat at home is actually praised in the hadiths. Your only headache will be the salat part, whether it be hair or saliva, if you have a solution for that, like you said special prayer clothes, then go ahead. 

@eloquence I get what you mean. I'm also slightly put off because cats are ways outdoors, and it's dirty, and they'll come into the house and dirty it and bring in insects from outside etc. It is getting close to winter so I don't think that would be an issue if I got a cat now. 

11 minutes ago, dragonxx said:

cats also 'clean' their excrements off their body with their tongues then proceed to lick you.

Lol dw my parents won't get a cat because of cleanliness and the lack of practicality of it. Guess I'll have to wait till I have my own house.

2 hours ago, Husayni said:

Could you share some?

Actually animals are recommended in the household, for instance because it makes the jinn busy with the animals instead of getting busy with the kids in the household. I remember reading that a white rooster is especially good to keep and doves. I believe I read these hadiths in Makarim Al-akhlaaq. 

I just came up with the perfect solution: talk one of your friends into getting a cat. That way you can enjoy the cat without worrying about invalid prayers :D  :hahaha: 

One of my friends has a kitten. We just picked it up from another friends' mother. You get your dose of cuddling with the kitten without worrying about anything else. Plus, you can have the role of kitten sitter every once in a while if you need a larger dose of cuddling :D

(I'm not serious. In my case the perfect solution was there without me having to do anything.)

Why does everyone only think about the fun of having a cat? My relative's cat had diarrhea and needed special food which was expensive. 

25 minutes ago, Hameedeh said:

Why does everyone only think about the fun of having a cat? My relative's cat had diarrhea and needed special food which was expensive. 

lol, expenses are a whole other story. I would hate to deal with the lack of cleanliness and all that hassle. It would just get on my nerves. If I could, I would get a cat and let it have it's own wing/section of the house, and I'd spend all my time there, with the peace of mind knowing that my own room and kitchen etc were left untouched. 

I love animals but I think we should let them have their natural life and not imprison them in our homes.I have had pet cats but almost all of them were sick or injured kittens which we found in the streets or kittens that had lost their mothers and so needed to be cared for.
I didnt keep them inside the house except when they were new-borns and it was dangerous to keep them in the yard.

I put the new-borns in a carton and put some diapers or a piece of cloth beneath them and put newspapers and plastic under the carton and regularly changed them (the carton, diapers, ...).

I also used disposable rubber gloves when I had to hold them and then washed my hands with soap and betadine.

Those who survived, after they grew enough, they were kept in the yard and when they were ready to live independently, they were free to leave the house whenever they wished.

5 hours ago, Sirius_Bright said:

Never heard of cat saliva. Can you provide hadith/fatwa?

833. If the saliva, or water from the nose, or any other moisture, from an animal whose meat is haraam to eat, like that of a cat, is on the body or the dress of a person in namaz, and if it is wet, the namaz will be void. But if it has dried up, and if its substance has been removed, then the prayer is valid.

22 minutes ago, ShiaChat Mod said:

A robotic cat can purr and meow like a real cat, without the expense of feeding and clean up. 

we must wait for a robotic dog because it won't be Najis :D

20 hours ago, hasanhh said:

An old neighbor's cat had diabetes.

Yes, that is true. Cats can get leukemia and flu and other medical problems which will need treatment. Cats and dogs (any animal) can pass some germs to people. Do a google search with these or similar words:

diseases that cats can give to humans

2 hours ago, 2Timeless said:

Cats are a very good alternative to human babies (for those who either can't or don't want to have children at that moment in time).

I disagree. Adult cats are not at all like babies. However, they are a very good alternative to adult human company. Animals are better friends than most people.