Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

AoA. I’m a Shia living in USA. I’ve a friend who is Christian and she wants to know more about Islam (Shia’ism). One thing that doesn’t make her satisfy is questioning Muhammad (saww) wives, as why did he had multiple wives and she compares him to Jesus saying that Jesus had a simple life with pure soul because he never married any woman. And why are Muslims allowed to merry 4 wives? I will really appreciate if you could answer these questions so that she can understand better about them. 
Thanks 

1 hour ago, Nokar e Ali said:

AoA. I’m a Shia living in USA. I’ve a friend who is Christian and she wants to know more about Islam (Shia’ism). One thing that doesn’t make her satisfy is questioning Muhammad (saww) wives, as why did he had multiple wives and she compares him to Jesus saying that Jesus had a simple life with pure soul because he never married any woman. And why are Muslims allowed to merry 4 wives? I will really appreciate if you could answer these questions so that she can understand better about them. 
Thanks 

You can tell her the Prophet (saw) mostly married widows and divorced women. In that culture, it was perfectly acceptable.

We are allowed 4 wives because there are more women than men and Allah wants all women to have a guardian.

2 hours ago, Nokar e Ali said:

Thanks 

ln the Bible, Moses-a.s. had two wives. Solomon-a.s. had way, too many. Jacob-a.s. had 4 wives.

1 hour ago, hasanhh said:

ln the Bible, Moses-a.s. had two wives. Solomon-a.s. had way, too many. Jacob-a.s. had 4 wives.

She is not comparing Muhammad with Moses, Solomon or Jacob but with Jesus.

Christians don't attach much importance to people in the Old Testament.  

Edited by baqar

2 hours ago, ShiaMan14 said:

In that culture, it was perfectly acceptable.

It was also acceptable in Jesus' time but he did not marry at all

Christians interpret the fact that Jesus did  not marry at all as a mark of dissociation from the world and therefore as a notch above those who marry and have wives.

So we need to explain without reference to the culture of the day or with reference to other biblical figures such as Moses, Jacob or Solomon.  

58 minutes ago, baqar said:

She is not comparing Muhammad with Moses, Solomon or Jacob but with Jesus.

Christians don't attach much importance to people in the Old Testament.  

Those evilgelicals ignore the 0ld Testament at their own loss and peril. There are also no Words of the Devil in the 0.T. after the Garden story in Genesis.

44 minutes ago, baqar said:

You cannot say that.  Isa-a.s. is a rasulallah and we have what is revealed in Ayat 13:38.

57 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

You cannot say that.  Isa-a.s. is a rasulallah and we have what is revealed in Ayat 13:38.

The OP needs to convince a Christian.

And Christians believe that Jesus did not marry. 

A Christian will not be convinced by quoting the Quran.

Edited by baqar

Hazrat Isa peace upon him and may his return be speedy left the earth in his 30s, Rasulullah peace upon him only started receiving revelations in his 40s. It's just a very different situation.

This won't persuade your friend though. Only The Almighty swt can do that. insha'Allah.

Edited by abdulhamid

9 hours ago, baqar said:

Christians interpret the fact that Jesus did  not marry at all as a mark of dissociation from the world and therefore as a notch above those who marry and have wives.

So we need to explain without reference to the culture of the day or with reference to other biblical figures such as Moses, Jacob or Solomon.  

How is not getting married a sign of dissociation from the world?

Couldn't I say not getting married is a sign of dissociation from women???

Also, If Jesus not getting married is a criteria and Christians follow Jesus, no christian should ever get married, correct?

This should be the last issue in a Jesus vs. Muhammad (saw) discussion...in my opinion of course.

Edited by ShiaMan14

13 hours ago, Nokar e Ali said:

Thanks 

Our Prophet was to set best examples to humanity.  He got married because he wanted his followers to treat marriage as a part of following God messages.  The Prophet also showed examples how treat a wife correctly.  Without these good examples, how would his followers are guided?

Salam

3 hours ago, layman said:

Our Prophet was to set best examples to humanity.  He got married because he wanted his followers to treat marriage as a part of following God messages.  The Prophet also showed examples how treat a wife correctly.  Without these good examples, how would his followers are guided?

I agree with this. Also the marriages had reasoning and wisdom behind them as well.

4 hours ago, layman said:

And why are Muslims allowed to merry 4 wives?

Muslims are allowed to marry 4 wives, they are not commanded to marry 4 wives so I don't think that should be a part of the definition of Islam. The law of the land determines this like in the US you can only marry one person at a time even if you are muslim. I am not aware if Christianity commands you to only marry one woman. If a Christian goes to a country where polygamy is allowed, he may be able to marry more than one woman. 

Also, you can explain the actual rules and conditions of having more than one wife in Islam. It is not that easy to maintain from what I understand.

4 hours ago, ShiaMan14 said:

Also, If Jesus not getting married is a criteria and Christians follow Jesus, no christian should ever get married, correct?

Some chris!ian groups, like Shakers, did not marry.

21 hours ago, Nokar e Ali said:

.One thing that doesn’t make her satisfy is questioning Muhammad (saww) wives, as why did he had multiple wives and she compares him to Jesus saying that Jesus had a simple life with pure soul because he never married any woman. And why are Muslims allowed to merry 4 wives? I will really appreciate if you could answer these questions so that she can understand better about them. 
Thanks 

Is not married to any women make a Prophet superior to other Prophets? How about his messages, mission,  coverage and actions?  

Just now, ShiaMan14 said:

Therein lies the problem.

The Shakers we not of the "bad" sort as cults go. lf you were one of the orphans they raised you were not arm-twisted into staying and you'd be welcome to visit. Shakers were also innovators, but l forget the specifics but perusing a decent paper or book on them will give you an appreciation.

22 hours ago, Nokar e Ali said:

Thanks 

Salam, 

The root of her issue is seeing sexual activity as something negative or irreligious or mundane. This is a very Christian perspective. All of Christian saints and spiritual figures are virgins or celibate; for example, Jesus, Mary, popes, priests, nuns, and .... 

Celibacy or shunning sexual activities is considered more spiritual and more pious than non-celibacy. In Christianity, there's this underlying conflict or battle between the spirit and the flesh/body. Whatever or most things, including sex, that are pleasurable by the body, according to them, strengthens the body and weakens the spirit. 

This notion has no place in Islam. Physical pleasure, including halal sex, is not just permissible but recommended; even if sex is just for pleasure and not for reproductive purposes. Catholicism, for example, sees the pleasure aspect of sex as a divine "side effect" of its procreative purpose, which is the main purpose to have sex. Sex, just for pleasure, isn't permissible, which is why they hold such a strong position against contraceptives or even coitus interruptus, which is completely permissible in Islam. 

When a Christian views the prophet from the above-mentoned perspective, she would consider him less holy and more body-oriented than spirit-oriented; because she's comparing him to her spiritual figures, who all shunned sex.Therefore, she'd have problems with polygamy, and a huge problem with temporary marriages. 

Unfortunately, this Christian perspective, which can be linked back to Manicheanism, has had a strong influence on Islam and muslims, too. Nowadays, there are plenty of Muslims, who consider sex to be just a physical act only for physical pleasure and separate it from spirituality and religion. This is a mistake!

This mistaken view is deeply rooted within Christianity. 

This mistaken position has no place in Islam!

Once your friend understands this, once she views halal sex as a spiritual deed, just like eating halal food, always having God in mind, her view on the prophet's marriages and sex life will, most likely, change. 

Edited by SoRoUsH

16 minutes ago, SoRoUsH said:

Salam, 

The root of her issue is seeing sexual activity as something negative or irreligious or mundane. This is a very Christian perspective. All of Christian saints and spiritual figures are virgins or celibate; for example, Jesus, Mary, popes, priests, nuns, and .... 

Celibacy or shunning sexual activities is considered more spiritual and more pious than non-celibacy. In Christianity, there's this underlying conflict or battle between the spirit and the flesh/body. Whatever or most things, including sex, that are pleasurable by the body, according to them, strengthens the body and weakens the spirit. 

This notion has no place in Islam. Physical pleasure, including halal sex, is not just permissible but recommended; even if sex is just for pleasure and not for reproductive purposes. Catholicism, for example, sees the pleasure aspect of sex as a divine "side effect" of its procreative purpose, which is the main purpose to have sex. Sex, just for pleasure, isn't permissible, which is why they hold such a strong position against contraceptives or even coitus interruptus, which is completely permissible in Islam. 

When a Christian views the prophet from the above-mentoned perspective, she would consider him less holy and more body-oriented than spirit-oriented; because she's comparing him to her spiritual figures, who all shunned sex.Therefore, she'd have problems with polygamy, and a huge problem with temporary marriages. 

Unfortunately, this Christian perspective, which can be linked back to Manicheanism, has had a strong influence on Islam and muslims, too. Nowadays, there are plenty of Muslims, who consider sex to be just a physical act only for physical pleasure and separate it from spirituality and religion. This is a mistake!

Once your friend understands this, once she views halal sex as a spiritual deed, just like eating halal food, always having God in mind, her view on the prophet's marriages and sex life will, most likely, change. 

Great answer

The Christian position on sex doesn't really have congruence with the old testament, the bible has erotic love poetry after all. 
Proverbs 5 18-19

Let your fountain be blessed,
And rejoice with the wife of your youth.
19 As a loving deer and a graceful doe,
Let her breasts satisfy you at all times;
And always be enraptured with her love.

Tell her read her own book.

2 Samuel 12:8
8. I gave your master's house to you, and your master's wives into your arms.  I gave you the house of Israel and Judah.  And if all this had been too little, I would have given you even more.

GOD Almighty here supposedly says that He gave to David Saul's wives, and GOD would have even given him more wives if he (David) wanted.

Source:

http://www.answering-christianity.com/ntpoly.htm

The question of polygamy is an interesting one in that most people today view polygamy as immoral while the Bible nowhere explicitly condemns it. The first instance of polygamy/bigamy in the Bible was that of Lamech in Genesis 4:19: “Lamech married two women.”

source:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gotquestions.org/amp/polygamy.html

1 hour ago, AmirAlmuminin Lover said:

Tell her read her own book.

2 Samuel 12:8
8. I gave your master's house to you, and your master's wives into your arms.  I gave you the house of Israel and Judah.  And if all this had been too little, I would have given you even more.

GOD Almighty here supposedly says that He gave to David Saul's wives, and GOD would have even given him more wives if he (David) wanted.

Source:

http://www.answering-christianity.com/ntpoly.htm

The question of polygamy is an interesting one in that most people today view polygamy as immoral while the Bible nowhere explicitly condemns it. The first instance of polygamy/bigamy in the Bible was that of Lamech in Genesis 4:19: “Lamech married two women.”

source:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gotquestions.org/amp/polygamy.html

They say the New Testament abrogated the Old Testaments or at least the laws of the OT.

On 10/2/2018 at 5:30 AM, Nokar e Ali said:

Thanks 

Salam , Jesus call was mainly for jews that they had multiple wives issue so he shows them that people can live with lesser wives ,there is still a theory that he had a wife but it droped from history but call of prophet Muhammad (pbu) was for whole world through non violent acts opposite as Sunni & christian sources claim it ,the best non violent act for calling Arabs to Islam was through tribal weddings that still is a powerful tool till now ,that after marrying prophet (pbu) with a wife from that tribe they would accept Islam because of wedding connection to that tribe through prophet (pbu) without war but after prophet (pbu) Islam was spread enough that no more wedding was required & it limited to 4 wives because of 4:1 ratio of women to men also most of women were losting their former husbands in wars so they need a new supporter.

12 hours ago, SoRoUsH said:

Salam, 

The bible completely contradicts what they are saying though. You can prove them wrong by using the bible and show proof the sex is not just for procreatung but also for pleasure,  there is a whole song called the Song of Solomon i think on sexual pleasure. The prohibition was invented by Trinitarians to get there fabricated beliefs spreaded everywhere by making their followers having kids obligatory if they get married and no sexual pleasure at all (which btw completely contradicts the bible). 

6 hours ago, Anonymous2144 said:

The bible completely contradicts what they are saying though. You can prove them wrong by using the bible and show proof the sex is not just for procreatung but also for pleasure,  there is a whole song called the Song of Solomon i think on sexual pleasure. The prohibition was invented by Trinitarians to get there fabricated beliefs spreaded everywhere by making their followers having kids obligatory if they get married and no sexual pleasure at all (which btw completely contradicts the bible). 

Two points: 

1) Almost all Christians are Trinitarians. 

2) Christians either cherry-pick when it comes to the Old Testament or mostly dismiss it. They only use the parts that is in line with Christian theology. Everything else is considered to be part of the Old Covenant. 

On 10/2/2018 at 2:57 AM, hasanhh said:

Those evilgelicals ignore the 0ld Testament at their own loss and peril. There are also no Words of the Devil in the 0.T. after the Garden story in Genesis.

Wait Isa a.s did marry? 

Edited by eloquence
Forgot I can say Isa here

On 10/1/2018 at 9:00 PM, Nokar e Ali said:

Thanks 

There is a short version and a long version to this answer. If she wants to know more, I would be happy to go into more detail. 

The short version is that, in Islam, each Prophet was sent for a general purpose (the conveyance of the Message of God(s.w.a) to the People) as well as a specific purpose that would be relevant to the people of that time and place. Also each Prophet had different life circumstances as well as a specific lifespan. Each of these points requires many pages to fully explain, but I will try to do it briefly here

Jesus(peace be upon him) was sent to a specific group of people, the Jews of 1st Century Palestine, specifically the area around Jerusalem. If you look at how the society was structured at that time, it was a highly stratified society, with a small group at the top(Rabbis of the Temple and Roman Governors) who controlled the wealth of the society, and then you had the vast masses of people who aspired to be like that small group at the top. This aspiration to be like this small group, as well as the corruption caused by the small group appropriating the wealth for themselves had turned the society into an extremely materialistic and cold hearted society where religion was a mere show and something on people's lips which didn't penetrate into the heart. 

Jesus came to this society in order to turn the people toward God and to show them that there is another way besides materialism and emulation of those at the top. Since those at the top not only appropriated most of the wealth, but most of the women for themselves, Jesus practically demonstrated that you could be close to God and live a Holy Life without material things and without many women around you. This demonstration was to counteract the Rabbinical power structure of the time that was based around the Temple and taught the people that you couldn't be close to God unless you were a temple Rabbi and controlled wealth and other parts of society. Jesus(p.b.u.h) was a revolutionary, and his goal was to overturn the power structure of the time which was corrupting society in the guise of religion. This is why the Rabbis and the Roman Government conspired to kill him, because he was a direct threat to their power and spoke out against them regularly and was not afraid of them, but Allah(s.w.a) had other plans and saved him from that. Also, Jesus was taken from this world while he as still a young man (most believe in his early 30s).

Prophet Muhammad came to a different group of people with a different social structure, without going to deep into this. In the early years of Islam, the muslims were being attacked from all sides by different tribes. The only way for Prophet Muhammad to secure an alliance with a tribe was, most of the time, to marry a women from that tribe. This was a custom of the Arabs of Hijaz which was not a custom of the Jews of Palestine. If he did not do this, and did not secure these alliances, who knows what would have became of the early community of muslims, who were small in number compared to the pagan Arabs of the surrounding communities. Also, most of the women that Prophet Muhammad(p.b.u.h) married, were not young women, but were, most of the time, older women who needed someone to help and support them. At that time, if a women didn't have a 'waqil' , male protector, she would have had an extremely difficult life. So because the Prophet was compassionate, he was trying to save them from that. Also, Prophet Muhammad(p.b.u.h) lived till he was 63 years old. When he was in his late 20s and early 30s, the same age Prophet Jesus(p.b.u.h) was when he left the Earth, he was still also single and most of his life from his early 30s to his late 50s, was married to only one women, Khadija(a.s). 

2 hours ago, eloquence said:

Wait Isa a.s did marry? 

From what Quran reveals he did.

The Catholics have always persecuted anyone who said Isa-a.s. was married and had children.

Since there is no record of it and we don't want crazy stuff like the Tai Ping Rebellion getting started anywhere.

27 minutes ago, eloquence said:

Where is it?

The cited Ayat, 13:38.

Personally, l do not attach any significance to a family lsa-a.s. had.  We know Noah-a.s.' son didn't believe and the same with Lut's-a.s. wife. Plus, as said in mosque, the Prophet's-s.a.w.s. son died in infancy so there would be no claims to any kind of succession.

Edited by hasanhh

14 hours ago, SoRoUsH said:

Two points: 

1) Almost all Christians are Trinitarians. 

2) Christians either cherry-pick when it comes to the Old Testament or mostly dismiss it. They only use the parts that is in line with Christian theology. Everything else is considered to be part of the Old Covenant. 

If he can prove to her that bible does not have any evidence or support for the  trinity then he can move on to the Old Testament show her proofs also in the New Testament which proves that sexual intercourse is not just for procreation. Yes most Christians are trinitarians but I remember reading here on shiachat that most Christians in Europe are unitarians. Also most trinitarians do cherry pick verses and leave others out that suit what the “priest” or “monk” says.  Somethings  have been abrogated in Old Testament by the New Testament but certainly not all of it which most trinitarians do. 

On 10/3/2018 at 8:52 PM, hasanhh said:

The Catholics have always persecuted anyone who said Isa-a.s. was married and had children.

Since there is no record of it and we don't want crazy stuff like the Tai Ping Rebellion getting started anywhere.

According to hadith from our Imams(a.s.), he never married. Some hadith say that in the time of Zuhoor, after he returns to earth, he will marry and have children.

Peace and blessings!

Many good points in the thread above. But, as a Christian who believes in the diety as well as the manhood of Jesus, I believe He is unique and cannot fairly be compared to any other Prophet. He explained His perspective about marriage from a heavenly view in Luke 20:27-36...

There came to him some Sadducees, those who deny that there is a resurrection, and they asked him a question, saying, "Teacher, Moses wrote for us that if a man's brother dies, having a wife but no children, the man must take the widow and raise up offspring for his brother. Now there were seven brothers. The first took a wife, and died without children. And the second and the third took her, and likewise all seven left no children and died. Afterward the woman also died. In the resurrection, therefore, whose wife will the woman be? For the seven had her as wife." And Jesus said to them, "The sons of this age marry and are given in marriage, but those who are considered worthy to attain to that age and to the resurrection from the dead neither marry nor are given in marriage, for they cannot die anymore, because they are equal to angels and are sons of God, being sons of the resurrection."

However, Jesus used the traditional OT marriage supper to describe His future relationship with believers in Revelation... "Let us rejoice and exult and give him the glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and his Bride has made herself ready; it was granted her to clothe herself with fine linen, bright and pure for the fine linen is the righteous deeds of the saints. And the angel said to me, "Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb." And he said to me, "These are the true words of God." Then I fell down at his feet to worship him, but he said to me, "You must not do that! I am a fellow servant with you and your brothers who hold to the testimony of Jesus. Worship God." For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy. - Revelation 19:7-10

1. Moving away from attachment to the world of this world that reigns in society

Regarding the fact that the venerated Jesus (blessed be it), did not get married, some reasons are evoked, in the sources of hadith, of which:

1. The revered Imam Sadiq (blessed be He) said, "The revered Jesus was questioned, may the peace and blessings of God be upon him, why he did not marry, and he answered What is the marriage for me? "You'll have children," they answer him. "Whoever uses me to have the child, if he remains alive, will cause difficulties and if he dies, will cause boredom and affliction". 4[4]
  2. Messiah (blessed be He) said to his companions, "My food is the plants on the earth, my drink is the water of rivers and fountains, I drink water with my own hands, my light is the light of the moon, my carpet is the earth and my cushion is the stones. My clothes are made of animal hair. I do not have the child to die, and plunge me into affliction, I do not have a house to be demolished, I do not have a good so that it is wasted. So, I am the most freed (feeling no need) of Adam's children. 5[5]
    On 10/4/2018 at 4:22 AM, hasanhh said:

These hadiths do not bear witness to the principle of marriage, for in verse 34 of the holy Surah "Thunder," God specifies that marriage was the tradition of the prophets. It is necessary to describe these words of the venerated Jesus, according to his interlocutors and the conditions in which they were. By such words, the venerated Jesus addressed those who had immersed themselves in the pleasures of the world below. By such words, revered Jesus means that the human being has the capacity not to make the marriage and he absolutely does not mean to question the principle of marriage and the fact of having children. The interesting point also is that the Qur'an, while emphasizing marriage, regards the woman, the child, and property as the source of sedition in some respects. In this regard, the noble Koran says: "O you who have believed, you have an enemy [temptation] of your wives and children.

[4] Majlissi, Moammad Baqer, Bihar al-Anwar, t.14, p.238, hadith 15, Instiut Al-Wafa, Beirut, 1404 of the Lunar AH.

[5] Idem, t.67, p.314, the continuation of the hadith 19.

Life of a short duration, marked, in constant, by missionary journeys

The venerated Jesus was baptized Messiah, because he was the Traveler (Sayyah). Sayyah (the Traveler) means, here, the one who moves, consistently and regularly on the earth to proceed with the acts of devotion and worship of God. [7] For this reason it is said that the venerated Jesus was walking on the earth, and at nightfall he was praying until dawn. [8] According to a hadith narrated by Tabarssi, the venerated Imam Ali (blessed be it), the idea that the venerated Jesus was Sayyah (the traveler), was corroborated. 9 Another reason which may explain the celibacy of the venerated Jesus is that he could not afford to marry because of his short life and his missionary travels, which were constantly in various places of the world.

The opinion of Christians on this subject

10 hours ago, MartyS said:

However, Jesus used the traditional OT marriage supper to describe His future relationship with believers in Revelation...

In this regard, the master Mottahari (may God welcome him to his paradise) says: "Christians have introduced into religion the false idea that the celibacy of the venerated Jesus (blessed be it) was due to the fact that the woman was the element of sin and represented the little devil, that marriage and sexual questions are an obstacle to human advancement and elevation. They believed that man does not commit sin alone, and that it is the woman, the little devil, who pushes him there by his temptations. Christians have this belief that the story of Adam, Eve, and Satan was started in this way that Satan, unable to influence Adam, deceived Eve, and thereby succeeded in deceiving Adam, too.So, throughout history, there has been this conviction that Satan deceives the woman and the woman deceives the man. But, the noble Koran says, quite the opposite. Satan speaks to both Adam and Eve and swears to deceive them. So, the mistake made by Adam and Eve was of the same level. There is no need to mention the preeminence of one over the other. It is for this reason that the Quran speaks both pure men and women, and in some cases, it accords a higher status to the woman. 10 [10] There are those among Christians who advance other causes and reasons for the celibacy of the venerated Jesus (blessed be He).

10] RF: Motahhari, Moteza, Majmou'eye Asar (The set of works), t.17, p.402, Edition Sadra, Qom, 2004.

http://www.islamquest.net/fa/archive/question/fa13716

translated from french text link

http://www.islamquest.net/fr/archive/question/fa13716

As far back as Genesis 2:24   OT

Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

Repeated in a letter to the Ephesians 5: 31  NT

For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.

Wife is singular in both texts. Not sure how a man and four wives could be one flesh. 

13:38 is problematic if applied to all messengers.