Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

On 10/13/2018 at 4:58 PM, hasanhh said:

1] "Not yet 50"  means he is close to 50. Cf  "barely 40" as a comparative.

1] "full strength", ashudd,  is understood as 18-30 years of age.

4] "carpenter's son" is not the same as being a carpenter. Same with "electrician's son". Besides, Gospel of Matthew has "Rabbi". As for Matt.13:55 is only one instance. When Rome in the 300s compiled this gospel they had ten versions of Matthew (Eusebius, History of the Church ).

Am I late? Did I miss anything? Haven't sat down much in the last while. Not hard to catch up on this thread.

Not yet...

50 is a random number. 100 would have worked, 1000 would have been just as random. Actually 2000 years is closer but still random....pick a number. They were questioning Jesus about seeing Abraham. This is just before the famous verse that had Christians arguing Jesus was God over 300 years later. There's a much deeper underlying meaning in these verses they missed. It kinda sucks to miss the message and the clues because of a random number.

So "full strength" describes Jesus about the age as calculated from the Bible?

In those days boys learned their father's trade. Names were derived from occupational lineage. Everybody was "son of", like "ibn" is used in Arabic. The Middle East culture continued this tradition longer than the Western culture. It was less common a son would turn from the trade of his father. It's still not an oddity to see a son carry on his father's business. Of course the last 100 years has changed everything.

Hop, skip, jump, Matthew calls Jesus Rabbi, also John the Baptist.    Rabbi =  teacher of Torah. The name is still used today. 10 versions of Matthew, do you have the sources? 14 versions of the Quran, want sources? I don't see how this matters.

1 hour ago, Son of Placid said:

In those days boys learned their father's trade

lf you take the "son of god" seriously, then his trade would be "god's trade".

Not a nail banger-carpenter as the mythology pretends. lt is inconsistent.

Edited by hasanhh

16 hours ago, Son of Placid said:

Am I late? Did I miss anything? Haven't sat down much in the last while. Not hard to catch up on this thread.

Not yet...

https://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235055614-a-creator-or-creators/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-3176400

19 hours ago, hasanhh said:

lf you take the "son of god" seriously, then his trade would be "god's trade".

Not a nail banger-carpenter as the mythology pretends. lt is inconsistent.

Basically, son of a carpenter is how Jesus was described once. I'm not hearing anybody say He had any other trade, nor that He didn't bang a few nails. 

If "God's trade" is becoming a Prophet, gathering followers and teaching men about God...Wait. stop making my points for me.

7 minutes ago, Son of Placid said:

You have trouble with Jesus being a rabbi?

No, of course not. As a secular observation, who better to criticize the rabbis than another rabbi?

lt is the carpenter myth, and the accusation his mother was shacking-around while still pregnant that l have a real problem with. That is blasphemous to me.

Edited by hasanhh
word changes

On 10/2/2018 at 7:00 AM, Nokar e Ali said:

AoA. I’m a Shia living in USA. I’ve a friend who is Christian and she wants to know more about Islam (Shia’ism). One thing that doesn’t make her satisfy is questioning Muhammad (saww) wives, as why did he had multiple wives and she compares him to Jesus saying that Jesus had a simple life with pure soul because he never married any woman. And why are Muslims allowed to merry 4 wives? I will really appreciate if you could answer these questions so that she can understand better about them. 
Thanks 

Prophet Solomon a.s had 300 wives and Prophet David a.s also had wives in numbers. Prophet (PBUHHP) had some exclusive rights and some exclusive obligations. Such as Prophets can marry more than four because they can be just to every wife caring them equally but an ordinary male may prefer one of his wife and do not have same respect or love for other wives that is why Allah (AWJ) says to Muslims: "Marry one it is better for you if you had known". Prophet (PBUHHP) was forbidden from taking Sadqa charity and it was obligatory upon him to pray Tahjud but its not obligatory prayer for other Muslims.

The reason for which four marriages is permitted to males is because of wars as men used to die in wars so there used to be less males as compared to females therefore they were allowed to have four wives.

On 10/25/2018 at 9:33 PM, hasanhh said:

No, of course not. As a secular observation, who better to criticize the rabbis than another rabbi?

lt is the carpenter myth, and the accusation his mother was shacking-around while still pregnant that l have a real problem with. That is blasphemous to me.

I thought I had responded to this but must have left it in limbo.

I haven't heard the accusation his mother was shacking-around while still pregnant.

17 hours ago, Son of Placid said:

I haven't heard the accusation his mother was

Even when l was in grade school, our church admitted that (according to this Bible story) they were not married because Mary-a.s. was pregnant. The use of the word "shacking" l heard in college.

As you know, as all the other rasulallahs and imams were, Mary and lsa were hated by a lot of people. And you know from Polycarp everything about that time was attacked, messed-with and persecuted. So pejorative stories were made up. This is one of them. Another example is Joseph's "dream" and from that we are to 'believe' that Mary and (a) Joseph (?) ran away in the night without warning the other mothers allowing the babes and toddlers to be killed. Herod's soldiers thereby preoccupied while they made their escape. 

9 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Even when l was in grade school, our church admitted that (according to this Bible story) they were not married because Mary-a.s. was pregnant. The use of the word "shacking" l heard in college.

As you know, as all the other rasulallahs and imams were, Mary and lsa were hated by a lot of people. And you know from Polycarp everything about that time was attacked, messed-with and persecuted. So pejorative stories were made up. This is one of them. Another example is Joseph's "dream" and from that we are to 'believe' that Mary and (a) Joseph (?) ran away in the night without warning the other mothers allowing the babes and toddlers to be killed. Herod's soldiers thereby preoccupied while they made their escape. 

You heard some ugly twisted stories. 

1 hour ago, Son of Placid said:

You heard some ugly twisted stories. 

l know why you react this way -not that l am criticizing.

lt is hard to fathom. Personally, this is why l do not believe it -that story.   Yet it is used as a literary device as a conduit to get to "call out of Egypt' place ---but then there is only a return and not a "call" as with Musa-a.s. or lbrahim-a.s.