Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

AoA. I’m a Shia living in USA. I’ve a friend who is Christian and she wants to know more about Islam (Shia’ism). One thing that doesn’t make her satisfy is questioning Muhammad (saww) wives, as why did he had multiple wives and she compares him to Jesus saying that Jesus had a simple life with pure soul because he never married any woman. And why are Muslims allowed to merry 4 wives? I will really appreciate if you could answer these questions so that she can understand better about them. 
Thanks 

1 hour ago, Nokar e Ali said:

AoA. I’m a Shia living in USA. I’ve a friend who is Christian and she wants to know more about Islam (Shia’ism). One thing that doesn’t make her satisfy is questioning Muhammad (saww) wives, as why did he had multiple wives and she compares him to Jesus saying that Jesus had a simple life with pure soul because he never married any woman. And why are Muslims allowed to merry 4 wives? I will really appreciate if you could answer these questions so that she can understand better about them. 
Thanks 

You can tell her the Prophet (saw) mostly married widows and divorced women. In that culture, it was perfectly acceptable.

We are allowed 4 wives because there are more women than men and Allah wants all women to have a guardian.

2 hours ago, Nokar e Ali said:

Thanks 

ln the Bible, Moses-a.s. had two wives. Solomon-a.s. had way, too many. Jacob-a.s. had 4 wives.

1 hour ago, hasanhh said:

ln the Bible, Moses-a.s. had two wives. Solomon-a.s. had way, too many. Jacob-a.s. had 4 wives.

She is not comparing Muhammad with Moses, Solomon or Jacob but with Jesus.

Christians don't attach much importance to people in the Old Testament.  

Edited by baqar

2 hours ago, ShiaMan14 said:

In that culture, it was perfectly acceptable.

It was also acceptable in Jesus' time but he did not marry at all

Christians interpret the fact that Jesus did  not marry at all as a mark of dissociation from the world and therefore as a notch above those who marry and have wives.

So we need to explain without reference to the culture of the day or with reference to other biblical figures such as Moses, Jacob or Solomon.  

58 minutes ago, baqar said:

She is not comparing Muhammad with Moses, Solomon or Jacob but with Jesus.

Christians don't attach much importance to people in the Old Testament.  

Those evilgelicals ignore the 0ld Testament at their own loss and peril. There are also no Words of the Devil in the 0.T. after the Garden story in Genesis.

44 minutes ago, baqar said:

You cannot say that.  Isa-a.s. is a rasulallah and we have what is revealed in Ayat 13:38.

57 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

You cannot say that.  Isa-a.s. is a rasulallah and we have what is revealed in Ayat 13:38.

The OP needs to convince a Christian.

And Christians believe that Jesus did not marry. 

A Christian will not be convinced by quoting the Quran.

Edited by baqar

Hazrat Isa peace upon him and may his return be speedy left the earth in his 30s, Rasulullah peace upon him only started receiving revelations in his 40s. It's just a very different situation.

This won't persuade your friend though. Only The Almighty swt can do that. insha'Allah.

Edited by abdulhamid

9 hours ago, baqar said:

Christians interpret the fact that Jesus did  not marry at all as a mark of dissociation from the world and therefore as a notch above those who marry and have wives.

So we need to explain without reference to the culture of the day or with reference to other biblical figures such as Moses, Jacob or Solomon.  

How is not getting married a sign of dissociation from the world?

Couldn't I say not getting married is a sign of dissociation from women???

Also, If Jesus not getting married is a criteria and Christians follow Jesus, no christian should ever get married, correct?

This should be the last issue in a Jesus vs. Muhammad (saw) discussion...in my opinion of course.

Edited by ShiaMan14

13 hours ago, Nokar e Ali said:

Thanks 

Our Prophet was to set best examples to humanity.  He got married because he wanted his followers to treat marriage as a part of following God messages.  The Prophet also showed examples how treat a wife correctly.  Without these good examples, how would his followers are guided?

Salam

3 hours ago, layman said:

Our Prophet was to set best examples to humanity.  He got married because he wanted his followers to treat marriage as a part of following God messages.  The Prophet also showed examples how treat a wife correctly.  Without these good examples, how would his followers are guided?

I agree with this. Also the marriages had reasoning and wisdom behind them as well.

4 hours ago, layman said:

And why are Muslims allowed to merry 4 wives?

Muslims are allowed to marry 4 wives, they are not commanded to marry 4 wives so I don't think that should be a part of the definition of Islam. The law of the land determines this like in the US you can only marry one person at a time even if you are muslim. I am not aware if Christianity commands you to only marry one woman. If a Christian goes to a country where polygamy is allowed, he may be able to marry more than one woman. 

Also, you can explain the actual rules and conditions of having more than one wife in Islam. It is not that easy to maintain from what I understand.

4 hours ago, ShiaMan14 said:

Also, If Jesus not getting married is a criteria and Christians follow Jesus, no christian should ever get married, correct?

Some chris!ian groups, like Shakers, did not marry.