Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

Scientism

1Thought or expression regarded as characteristic of scientists.

1.1 Excessive belief in the power of scientific knowledge and techniques.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/scientism

1: methods and attitudes typical of or attributed to the natural scientist

2: an exaggerated trust in the efficacy of the methods of natural science applied to all areas of investigation (as in philosophy, the social sciences, and the humanities)

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/scientism

Scientism is the belief System  that propagates that the  Scientific method(s) has No limits/Constraints  and Scientific methods can be  be applied to almost All aspects of life.

Something that governs all aspects of human life. Is called a Religion (A way of Life).

Science provides an Explanation for Everything.

Is it  essentially a man made  religion- where Science is the deity(0nly Source of everything), its followers ( the Scientists and the followers(ummah) of these Scientists/prophets) worship Science its rituals(methods), and its results.?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2017/12/14/theres-no-such-thing-as-proof-in-the-scientific-world-theres-only-evidence/#7967b4185392

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2017/11/22/scientific-proof-is-a-myth/#538ec1922fb1

All science is merely the current best model. 

Science is impermanent.

It is, by definition, in constant flux.

You can never have 100% proof of anything.

There will always be doubt.

It's not based on 100% Proof.

So, Why, is this Faith based Religion so popular with the Believers? is it the awareness of the reality of Science hidden from us? or what exactly is going on here?

Edited by S.M.H.A.

Scientology

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search
This article is about the belief system and practices. For the organization, see Church of Scientology. For other uses, see Scientology (disambiguation).
Not to be confused with Religious ScienceChristian Science, or Scientism.
Scientology
Scientology Symbol Logo.png
The Scientology symbol is composed of the letter S, which stands for Scientology, and the ARC and KRC triangles, two important concepts in Scientology.[1]
Formation May 1952[2]
Headquarters Gold Base
Riverside County, California[3]
David Miscavige
Website www.scientology.org
Remarks Flagship facility: Church of Scientology International, Los Angeles, California, U.S.

Scientology is a body of religious beliefs and practices launched in May 1952 by American author L. Ron Hubbard (1911–86). Hubbard initially developed a program of ideas called Dianetics, which was distributed through the Dianetics Foundation. The foundation soon entered bankruptcy, and Hubbard lost the rights to his seminal publication Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health in 1952. He then recharacterized the subject as a religion and renamed it Scientology,[4] retaining the terminology, doctrines, the E-meter, and the practice of auditing.[5][6] Within a year, he regained the rights to Dianetics and retained both subjects under the umbrella of the Church of Scientology.[7][8][9][10][11][12]

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

I am not referring to the Religion of Scientology. However, the concept of Church is applicable here.

As every school, college and university could be considered the Church of Scientism.

Two clearly distinguish what I mean. Here are the important points I posted in another thread, from the two links I posted above. Link-Important points

All science is merely the current best model. Science is impermanent. It is, by definition, in constant flux.

You can never have 100% proof of anything. There will always be doubt.

This comes as a bit of a shock to many people.

At school we’re taught science in terms of absolute facts— and this attitude persists rather a long time, into university education as well.

It takes a surprisingly long time for the new information you are being taught to finally be bookended with the phrase “of course, this is all based on the validity of model XYZ, which may turn out to be false.”

I am not a scientist, nor do I have a handle on everything. But one thing is clear that we have a epidemic on our hands and we need to point this out to the general public, as you see it is been done by the two articles above.

People are feeling that there is a need to point out the facts. As there is a psychological war going on and misrepresentation of the True/ Real abilities and scope of Science is deliberately been hidden from the general public. Any So Called Scientist can make a statement on any subject, even he/she is not qualified in that domain and it will be taken as Gospel Truth. With out realizing the fact that the subject matter under discussion is out of his/her domain of Expertise, and he/she is as dumb as the common individual out there. One could have triple Phds' in Physics, but he/she is equal in knowledge to a common person regarding a social issue or agriculture. 

For example this outrageous statement 

Because there is a law like gravity, the universe can and will create itself out of nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing. It is not necessary to invoke God.[54]

Link

If you read comments from other people in the field, they do not doubt his contribution to Science, but the above statement is out f this persons domain of knowledge as his is talked about having read very little theology. But people will formulate their world view based on his statement, because he is a scientist. This will be a car mechanic giving a statement on your need for brain surgery, an you go get it done. No on in his/her right mind will ever follow through on a his/her car mechanic's advice for brain surgery. Yet some are ready to have their souls removed and ready to become material robots. Why? because of false marketing, and false marketing and indoctrination since primary school which lasts till university and in work place and beyond (social talk and gathering) ...That Science is the Truth and Scientists are the Truth givers in All aspects of life. 

There are many branches of Science, Social Science, Political Science, Natural Sciences . In general the word “Science” (study /knowledge of us and what is around us)  has its value and limits and we need to learn and master it for the benefit of our social, political, physical and material needs.

What is at stake here is the soul of the humanity, as it is driven toward the notion of “Science(physics, chemistry, biology)” has got the- answers to All questions encompassing Human life.

Which is a complete fallacy and I would term it as a great Oppression on Humanity.  

Needs to have warning posted with any article or Theory in the classroom textbooks, like 

bookended with the phrase “of course, this is all based on the validity of model XYZ, which may turn out to be false.”

Science and religion cover entirely different areas of life and if they contradict, one must be wrong, however, since their domains seldom overlap, it's rarely an issue. 

God gave us minds to use them. Being anti-science is the same as being opposed to The Creation. 

I have no issue with pure/regular Science(Study/seeking Knowledge of us and things around us), and using our brain/mind/intellect to  discovering mechanisms and methods to enhance our social, political, economic and physical lives.  There is a distinction between Mechanism and Agency. 

Scientism is overreaching, judgmental, controlling and dictatorial ideology/Religion(A way of life) which disregards all, except its self as the Truth. Which is a fallacy. And is taught from primary schools till university, workplace and beyond - we are not Souls but Cells. These institutions were called Institutions of Learning( All Knowledge), but they are becoming Trade schools which may offer other subservient subjects with emphasis and concentration on subjects where we are groomed for the labor force. the result is I am merely a cell mentality as we see out there, a cell by nature of mechanical bias- can't comprehend conceptual and bigger realities. 

30 minutes ago, S.M.H.A. said:

And is taught from primary schools till university, workplace and beyond - we are not Souls but Cells. 

Ah, thanks for the clarification. I really haven't seen this in the United States, and I've got children in high school and elementary school. Human arrogance is becoming a problem, but more slowly in the religious US than in near-militantly secular Europe. 

Schools are used to indoctrinate children, but not to atheism yet here. 

Science and religion cover entirely different areas of life and if they contradict, one must be wrong, however, since their domains seldom overlap, it's rarely an issue.

It all depends on one's understanding of Religion. 

1)Religion as a personal relationship with a deity.

2)Religion as a way of life ( personal, social, economic, political - All aspects of one's life ).

Science as seeking knowledge about us and our surrounding for better understanding of the Signs(book of creation- us and what's around us), mining the benefits stored in earth for our live(medicine, material etc..), technological developments of all kinds for better living standards. Social sciences, Economic Sciences, political Sciences etc...

A human with a soul and body or an  upright monkey/bipedal animal / cell /I and others are just number's -  outlook formulate different world views. 

My issue is these so called militant scientists who have a faith called Scientism. Jockeying for power. Having a dismissive attitude towards other disciplines i.e Religions. where they lack understanding and most part ignorant of the religion they are commenting i.e usually they grew up on judeo-christian back grounds and their view of  a deity as a personal deity or deity with family or someone who is invoked for help(with out efforts, or action in that direction). They are clueless, about Islam. (As a Way of life). 

Schools are used to indoctrinate children, but not to atheism yet here. 

Atheism, is everywhere. Not because it has the truth, its the outcome of the purely materialist mentality.. Its not a particular country issue. Most countries focus on material success, and showcase Scientism as the only way to get to the Truth. Just look at the academic curriculum and job market and When every thing around you is geared towards material success- and most go in to scientific programs as the labor force is needed in these field(s), they utilize the same  mechanics/ and look thru the same  prism to formulate their views- as they have been taught that its the objective reality and only method to get to the Truth. Because they do not know any better- it was not the focus in their Trade schools. 

Atheism and "science as religion" are both a result of arrogance. 

I was reading a book by Neil Degrasse Tyson, an atheist, and he remarked offhand that as more became known, there was less need for a god to explain mysteries. Clearly, he, with his "god of the gaps" theory, has no clue about God. Dr. Tyson believes that the only "purpose" of a god is to explain the unknown. This seems a pretty common atheistic misconception: no need for morality or guidance, just explanations. 

3 hours ago, notme said:

God gave us minds to use them. Being anti-science is the same as being opposed to The Creation. 

I found that Science itself is blindness to understand the reality. Religion make humans to understand and go beyond of physical realm, to the realm of Malakut. 

"And thus did we show Abraham the dominions of the heavens and the earth and that he might be of those who are sure."

Being anti-science is the same as being opposed to The Creation. 

Not necessary. Science tend to change by time because of our limited knowledge, so it is not that important to us. For Muslims the knowledge of religion is exactly the knowledge where the Prophet encourage us to seek, others are secondary. 

Edited by Abu Nur

I was reading a book by Neil Degrasse Tyson, an atheist, and he remarked offhand that as more became known, there was less need for a god to explain mysteries. Clearly, he, with his "god of the gaps" theory, has no clue about God. Dr. Tyson believes that the only "purpose" of a god is to explain the unknown. This seems a pretty common atheistic misconception: no need for morality or guidance, just explanations. 

I may be a layman, with average or below average intellect. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out. That these so called Phd's in some field of science. 

Can't explain their own origin.

Can't explain their world/Universe origin or even the extent of it. 

But somehow they are experts in "gods". Why in the world I would I pay any attention to a chemical accident that popped  up by chance, yet everything inside him/her and  around him/her is so precisely calibrated that you have to be blind to dismiss fine turning, plus, product of their mind is just out of some chemical reaction, and their theory states that their purpose is to survive not seek truth. These people are full of contradiction, and can't offer a reasonable explanation for basic concepts or realities about them. 

They will always engage us about god, they will not talk about themselves and their surroundings ( their expertise ) or their world view based on their promoted theories. So, I see diabolical intentions.  

Maybe the god they are familiar with or were informed of was its purpose.  

1 hour ago, notme said:

Why do you bring arrogance into it? Could it not just be that people are wrong or misguided?

5 minutes ago, Klanky said:

Why do you bring arrogance into it? Could it not just be that people are wrong or misguided?

It's possible, but when I read what they've written, it seems like arrogance and willful ignorance. I read a lot of books by physicists, and each time I read broad generalizations about "god" in their writings, I think "but that's not the God of Islam, they haven't fully studied if they can make these statements." They should refrain from making partially informed comments.

I guess you're right that I shouldn't make such judgements though. A person can't study all knowledge that humanity has gained over the centuries. 

:bismillah:

Surah As-Saaffat, Verse 35:
إِنَّهُمْ كَانُوا إِذَا قِيلَ لَهُمْ لَا إِلَٰهَ إِلَّا اللَّهُ يَسْتَكْبِرُونَ

Surely they used to behave proudly when it was said to them: There is no god but Allah;
(English - Shakir)

I am therefore glad that Alex Rosenberg has written an entire book to make the case for scientism – the idea, he says, that “the methods of science are the only reliable ways to secure knowledge of anything” – as the only rational ideology one could possibly hold in the face of what science tells us about the way the world is.Thanks to him, I can no longer be accused of ! ghting a straw man. Rosenberg’s attempt is valiant and will give people much to think about.

Except, of course, that according to Rosenberg we cannot really think such things because scientism “says” that chunks of matter cannot possibly produce thoughts about anything at all, on penalty of violating physicalism.

For Rosenberg there are simple, science driven answers to all of life’s persistent questions, and he gives the short version right at the beginning of his book:

Is there a God? No.

What is the nature of reality? Whatever physics says it is.

What is the meaning of life? Nope.

Why am I here? Dumb luck.

Is there free will? Not a chance.

What is love? The solution to a strategic interaction problem.

Does morality exist? No. And so on

https://philarchive.org/archive/PIGISA

Ma'ani al-Akhbar: His father - Sa'd - Ibn Abi al-Khattab - Ibn Mahbub - Hammad b. Uthman - Abi Ja'far (as) in regards the words of Allah (SWT): "And the poets - only the astray follow them" He said: "Have You seen anyone following the poet? rather it ['poets' in the verse] refers to a group who sought knowledge for other than the religion so they became misguided and also misguided others" Ma'ani al-Akhbar: 385

Scientism isn't an actual religion, it's a term that people like me make use of to get under the skin of fedora-clad YouTube atheist types who believe that everything in the universe can be reduced to an an atheistic explanation and use "science" the way that fundamentalist religious people use religious terms to try and explain away things that the scientific Method already has an answer for.

Basically, we do it to troll them and they absolutely hate it because it's true.

Most of the "scientific experts" you find bashing religion and reducing it to "talking snakes and Jewish zombies" online are engaging in scientism.