Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Reza

The Nature of Atheistic Doubt

Rate this topic

Why did Allah create humans in such a way as to be liable to doubt? This is something that atheists ask in an aggressive way: If God is real, why did He make Himself hidden? If there is a God, why doesn’t He reveal Himself and remove all doubt?

And Allah addresses this charge directly in the Quran in multiple places. He says, If we sent down angels, if the dead spoke to them, if all kinds of miracles were shown to them, if literally every single sign was shown to them, they would still disbelieve.

Full article:

https://muslimskeptic.com/2016/07/24/the-nature-of-atheistic-doubt/

I'm not a fully committed atheist, I'm open to the idea that there is a God, I just don't believe it at present. At least, I don't believe there is a God anything like those proposed by earth-based religions. I don't have the logical chops to argue against the logical necessity of a creator but as far as I understand it this creator is just the convenient answer that we seem to need to the question "Why?", as in "Why everything?". It is not possible that something came from nothing so therefore there must be some un-created, ever-existing creator who made the universe and put us in it. I don't see why this physical universe (or whatever contains it) can't be a thing that always was, a thing of which we are properties. 

Anyway... I take issue with the articles claim (or God's claim, as he puts it there) that we wouldn't believe him even if he provided a few demonstrations of his godliness. I could easily be convinced by a few miracles, particularly miracles that everyone could see - that way there'd be no reason to doubt anyone's sanity. I don't see what is aggressive about asking why he made himself so doubtable, particularly in a world where apostasy can carry a death sentence. I find his attitude in this matter is somewhat childish. 

It seems to be in our nature of humans to seek to understand the world around us and make sense of it in our own way - hence science, physics and astronomy and all that stuff. It seems to me that what atheists take out of all these galaxies and quasars and black holes etc, and what the scientists do not dispute for the most part, is that none of it implies or says anything about god. We spice up our own views with what science gives us. My father is mad into star-gazing and see's the stars as God, basically written out in the sky, as the writer of that article seems to do too. I also find it a stunning sight but to me it's a mind-boggling load of gas, rock, molten metal, empty space, radio waves and so on. The tone of the article suggests that the writer takes this alternative view personally and belittles it. 

25 minutes ago, Quisant said:

Nice post.  :)

It is also not true; that is not the nature of 'atheistic doubt', at least not mine nor anyone I know...

But zealots are clever at pointing out 'convenient' untruths.

Best wishes.

all atheists just refute religious beliefs but  , i never see what they really believe to it to wise creator or random creation they can't explain these beliefs with valid points ,all of their claims have no strong start point either no strong end  , they just satisfy themselves with temporary wins in non ending debates .

now you explain your ideas!?

1 hour ago, Klanky said:

I could easily be convinced by a few miracles, particularly miracles that everyone could see - that way there'd be no reason to doubt anyone's sanity

And you are sure you have not seen any miracles yet?

I would call you once being a fluid and now a fully grown, talking, thinking and disputing human a miracle.

15538201_1272131459496779_61438479684253

1 minute ago, IbnSina said:

And you are sure you have not seen any miracles yet?

I would call you once being a fluid and now a fully grown, talking, thinking and disputing human a miracle.

15538201_1272131459496779_61438479684253

I don't doubt this sperm-to-human chain of events happened and  the word "miraculous" is not completely inappropriate, even if it is not strictly proper. But where does Good come into it?

1 minute ago, Klanky said:

I don't doubt this sperm-to-human chain of events happened and  the word "miraculous" is not completely inappropriate, even if it is not strictly proper. But where does Good come into it?

So even if it is a miracle you will ask where does God come into it?

And yet you said that you would easily be convinced by a few miracles?

3 minutes ago, IbnSina said:

So even if it is a miracle you will ask where does God come into it?

And yet you said that you would easily be convinced by a few miracles?

I said I would be convinced by a few fully convincing fully attributed miracles, beyond doubt miracles, not the kinds of miracles that are easily doubted by doubting human nature that he supposedly created. 

Edited by Klanky

1 minute ago, Klanky said:

I said I would be convinced by a few fully convincing fully attributed miracles, beyond doubt miracles, not the kinds of miracles that are easily doubted by doubting human nature that he supposedly created. 

How do you even define a miracle to begin with? What kind of a miracle would it take exactly?

I think the beating of your heart that has been beating non stop without the need for any maintenance stops since you were inside your mother all those years ago until the second you read this text is a miracle. You might not think about it because its taken for granted as part of your nature but that does not make it any less of a miracle in my opinion.

1 minute ago, IbnSina said:

How do you even define a miracle to begin with? What kind of a miracle would it take exactly?

I think the beating of your heart that has been beating non stop without the need for any maintenance stops since you were inside your mother all those years ago until the second you read this text is a miracle. You might not think about it because its taken for granted as part of your nature but that does not make it any less of a miracle in my opinion.

You're basically saying that it seems to you that this can only be God's doing, and I'm saying it doesn't seem that way to me.