SoRoUsH

Do Not Bailout Anyone!

Rate this topic

Salam, 

عَلِيُّ بْنُ إِبْرَاهِيمَ عَنْ أَبِيهِ وَ مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ إِسْمَاعِيلَ عَنِ الْفَضْلِ بْنِ شَاذَانَ جَمِيعاً عَنِ ابْنِ أَبِي عُمَيْرٍ عَنْ حَفْصِ بْنِ الْبَخْتَرِيِّ قَالَ أَبْطَأْتُ عَنِ الْحَجِّ فَقَالَ لِي أَبُو عَبْدِ اللَّهِ ع مَا أَبْطَأَ بِكَ عَنِ الْحَجِّ فَقُلْتُ جُعِلْتُ فِدَاكَ تَكَفَّلْتُ بِرَجُلٍ فَخَفَرَ بِي فَقَالَ مَا لَكَ وَ الْكَفَالاتِ أَ مَا عَلِمْتَ أَنَّهَا أَهْلَكَتِ الْقُرُونَ الْأُولَى ثُمَّ قَالَ إِنَّ قَوْماً أَذْنَبُوا ذُنُوباً كَثِيرَةً فَأَشْفَقُوا مِنْهَا وَ خَافُوا خَوْفاً شَدِيداً وَ جَاءَ آخَرُونَ فَقَالُوا ذُنُوبُكُمْ عَلَيْنَا فَأَنْزَلَ اللَّهُ عَزَّ وَ جَلَّ عَلَيْهِمُ الْعَذَابَ ثُمَّ قَالَ تَبَارَكَ وَ تَعَالَى خَافُونِي وَ اجْتَرَأْتُمْ عَلَيَّ 

"I once remained behind from performing al-Hajj and abu ' Abd Allah, 'Alayhi al-Salam, asked, 'What  caused you to remain behind from performing al-Hajj ?  I replied, 'I pray to Allah to keep my soul in  service for your cause, I bailed out a person but he violated his responsibility . He (the Imam) said,  'What do you have to do with bailsman-ship? Did you not know that people of the centuries before were destroyed ?  He (the Imam) then said, 'A people committed a great many sins. They then became  severely afraid. Another people came to them and said, 'Your sins are upon us . Allah, most Majestic, most Glorious, sent upon them suffering and He most Blessed, most High, said, 'You were afraid of Me, then you defied Me .

Moral of the story:

Do not bailout anyone! 

If someone's failed, it's likely due to their own miscalculations, and they must face their own consequences. 

Edited by SoRoUsH

12 hours ago, SoRoUsH said:

"I once remained behind from performing al-Hajj and abu ' Abd Allah, 'Alayhi al-Salam, asked, 'What  caused you to remain behind from performing al-Hajj ?  I replied, 'I pray to Allah to keep my soul in  service for your cause, I bailed out a person but he violated his responsibility . He (the Imam) said,  'What do you have to do with bailsman-ship? Did you not know that people of the centuries before were destroyed ?  He (the Imam) then said, 'A people committed a great many sins. They then became  severely afraid. Another people came to them and said, 'Your sins are upon us . Allah, most Majestic, most Glorious, sent upon them suffering and He most Blessed, most High, said, 'You were afraid of Me, then you defied Me .

The translation of Sarwar (which fourshiabooks.com makes use of) suffers from many mistakes sometimes distorting the meaning completely. I would discourage using it wholesale.

عَنْ حَفْصِ بْنِ الْبَخْتَرِيِّ قَالَ أَبْطَأْتُ عَنِ الْحَجِّ فَقَالَ لِي أَبُو عَبْدِ اللَّهِ ع مَا أَبْطَأَ بِكَ عَنِ الْحَجِّ فَقُلْتُ جُعِلْتُ فِدَاكَ تَكَفَّلْتُ بِرَجُلٍ فَخَفَرَ بِي فَقَالَ مَا لَكَ وَ الْكَفَالاتِ أَمَا عَلِمْتَ أَنَّهَا أَهْلَكَتِ الْقُرُونَ الْأُولَى ثُمَّ قَالَ إِنَّ قَوْماً أَذْنَبُوا ذُنُوباً كَثِيرَةً فَأَشْفَقُوا مِنْهَا وَ خَافُوا خَوْفاً شَدِيداً وَ جَاءَ آخَرُونَ فَقَالُوا ذُنُوبُكُمْ عَلَيْنَا فَأَنْزَلَ اللَّهُ عَزَّ وَ جَلَّ عَلَيْهِمُ الْعَذَابَ ثُمَّ قَالَ تَبَارَكَ وَ تَعَالَى خَافُونِي وَ اجْتَرَأْتُمْ عَلَيَّ 

Hafs b. al-Bakhtari said: I was delayed from making the Hajj so Abu Abdillah عليه السلام said to me: What delayed you from the Hajj? I said: May I be made your ransom, I served as guarantor for a man (who was owed money) but he betrayed me. He said: What do you have to do with Kafala ('guarantor-ship')?! Don't you know that it is what destroyed the earlier generations. Then he said: A people sinned a lot of sins then they were terrified because of them and became very fearful (due to them), then another people came and said: Your sins are on us, so Allah Mighty and Majestic brought down upon them (the second people) the punishment. Then He Blessed and Elevated said: They (the first people) were afraid of me while you (the second people) were daring with me!

The Kafala system described here is one wherein the guarantor would pledge himself as security for the debtor. If it happens that the debtor disappears then he comes under the custody of the one who lent the money (to whom the money belongs) and is arrested until the money is repayed or the guarantor pays it himself. 

There is some evidence of the Karahiyya (dislike) of this because it puts the life and freedom of someone under peril. Better systems of debt recovery have been encouraged in the Sharia

Otherwise, the general rule of helping out the believer in trouble is highly emphasized, such that there are few actions with more reward.     

Edited by Islamic Salvation

Thanks brother @Islamic Salvation

I'm quite aware that Sarwar's translation is quite poor in quality. It's quite obvious when one reads his translation of the Qur'an. However, I don't have access to any other English translation of Al-Kafi. So, I'd have to work with Sarwar's translation until another option becomes available. 

Thank you for making the corrections.