Jump to content
SoRoUsH

A Shelter and a Servent

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Salam, 

What is the proper translation of the following hadith: 

 عَلِيُّ بْنُ إِبْرَاهِيمَ عَنْ أَبِيهِ عَنِ النَّضْرِ بْنِ سُوَيْدٍ عَنِ الْحَلَبِيِّ عَنْ أَبِي عَبْدِ اللَّهِ ع قَالَ لَا تُبَاعُ الدَّارُ وَ لَا الْجَارِيَةُ فِي الدَّيْنِ وَ ذَلِكَ لِأَنَّهُ لَا بُدَّ لِلرَّجُلِ مِنْ ظِلٍّ يَسْكُنُهُ وَ خَادِمٍ يَخْدُمُهُ 

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



"Abu 'Abd Allah, 'Alayhi al-Salam, has said that a servant and a house must not be sold; it is 
necessary for a man to have a shelter and a servant." 
 

Share...Chapter: 20, Hadith: 8426, Number: 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2018 at 7:33 AM, SoRoUsH said:

Salam, 

What is the proper translation of the following hadith: 

 عَلِيُّ بْنُ إِبْرَاهِيمَ عَنْ أَبِيهِ عَنِ النَّضْرِ بْنِ سُوَيْدٍ عَنِ الْحَلَبِيِّ عَنْ أَبِي عَبْدِ اللَّهِ ع قَالَ لَا تُبَاعُ الدَّارُ وَ لَا الْجَارِيَةُ فِي الدَّيْنِ وَ ذَلِكَ لِأَنَّهُ لَا بُدَّ لِلرَّجُلِ مِنْ ظِلٍّ يَسْكُنُهُ وَ خَادِمٍ يَخْدُمُهُ 

 Thank you!

al-Sadiq (as): A house and a female slave are not sold in recouping a debt, and that is because a man must have a shelter in which to live in and a servant to serve him. 

--> A creditor should not force a man who has defaulted in repaying his debt to sell off his house or servant to pay back the loan because both are considered necessities of life and not extras. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Islamic Salvation said:

al-Sadiq (as): A house and a female slave are not sold in recouping a debt, and that is because a man must have a shelter in which to live in and a servant to serve him. 

--> A creditor should not force a man who has defaulted in repaying his debt to sell off his house or servant to pay back the loan because both are considered necessities of life and not extras. 

سلام brother, 

Why is a (female) servant considered a necessity of life? And since it's a necessity, does it imply that people who don't have a servant ought to look for one? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, SoRoUsH said:

سلام brother, 

Why is a (female) servant considered a necessity of life? And since it's a necessity, does it imply that people who don't have a servant ought to look for one? 

 

It was a necessity because she provided sexual services which can keep someone from sin. 

However, the Imam is trying to set the basic limit of a decent life which should not be sacrificed in repayment of debt. Unless otherwise someone can even sell off the house and put up elsewhere or on the street. But that does not need happen.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Islamic Salvation said:

It was a necessity because she provided sexual services which can keep someone from sin. 

However, the Imam is trying to set the basic limit of a decent life which should not be sacrificed in repayment of debt. Unless otherwise someone can even sell off the house and put up elsewhere or on the street. But that does not need happen.  

So, having a female servant isn't a necessity of life anymore? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If female servants were/are considered necessities of life, especially for their sexual services, then the importance of sexual activities in Islam becomes very vivid. 

Having (legal) sexual activities is necessary, and it's on the same level as having a shelter over your head. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SoRoUsH said:

So, having a female servant isn't a necessity of life anymore? 

It depends on how one reads لا بد (trans: 'has no option but' ...)

This makes house and servant as necessities, but in what sense, since we know that life can go on without them, probably means - this is the basic standard of comfortable life.

You are right in that this would be placing service of a servant (primarily of a sexual nature) and a house on the same level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Islamic Salvation said:

You are right in that this would be placing service of a servant (primarily of a sexual nature) and a house on the same level.

As I know خادم  can be used for male servant too the term of خادمه is only uses for female servant but خادم can be refers to servant for easing life .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

As I know خادم  can be used for male servant too the term of خادمه is only uses for female servant but خادم can be refers to servant for easing life .

You are right, but جارية in the Hadith can only refer to female

Edited by Islamic Salvation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Islamic Salvation said:

You are right, but جارية in the Hadith can only refer to female

There is many difference about جاریه in shia Islam view than Sunni view in Sunni view they were just se*** slaves (odalisque) but in shia view they could participate in society & be effective as free women because of it selling them not recommended but at second part of Hadith خادم is any person that can be male too. 

In conclusion it says in first part it says that we don’t sell our house & female servant & in second part says a man must has a shelter & someone male or female that serves him .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

In conclusion it says in first part it says that we don’t sell our house & female servant & in second part says a man must has a shelter & someone male or female that serves him .

As you said, in second part it covers both male and female, but in order to reconcile with first part it most likely refers back to female.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×