Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
S.M.H.A.

The Martyrdom Of Al-Imam Al-Husayn (as)

Rate this topic

The Martyrdom Of Al-Imam Al-Husayn (as)

The Martyrdom Of Al-Husayn (as)

Al-Husayn (as) Advances Towards the Battlefield

When [only] three or four people had remained with al-Husayn (as), he called for a pair of dazzling Yemeni trousers (sarawil). He tore them [and put them on], so that he should not have them plundered [after his martyrdom].1,2

He waited for a good part of the day. Whenever someone from the people came to him, he would go away, disliking to take up the responsibilty of killing him and [to shoulder] the great sin.

Malik bin al-Nusair [al-Baddi al-Kindi]3 came to him and struck his head with [his] sword. It cut through the hood he was wearing and reached his head. He started bleeding and the hood was filled with blood. Al-Husayn (as) said to Malik: “May you not eat or drink with [your hand]. May Allah resurrect you with the oppressors!”

[Al-Husayn (as)] then threw away the hood and called for a cap. He wore it and surrounded it with a turban.4,5

So he had the cloth tied [over the hood which was made of black silk]. He put on a shirt6 [or] a cloak of made of silken material, while his hair was dyed. [Al-Husayn (as)] fought like a brave knight, guarding against the [arrows], availing the weak points [of the enemy] and attacking the cavalry fiercely.7

[Meanwhile,] Shamir bin Dhi al-Jaushan advanced with around ten foot soldiers from among the Kufan army towards the tent of al-Husayn (as), inside which there was his load and family. [Seeing this, al-Husayn (as) began] walking towards [the tent], but [the people] came between him and the tents. So al-Husayn (as) said: “Woe upon you! If you have no religion and do not fear the Day of Resurrection, then be free men of noble descent in this world! Protect my tent and family from your rabble and ignorant men!”

Ibn Dhi al-Jaushan said: “You are granted that O son of Fatimah!” and proceeded towards him with the foot soldiers. [At this] al-Husayn (as) began attacking them and they would disperse from him.8

‘Abdullah bin ‘Ammar al-Bariqi9 says: “The foot soldiers that were on his right and left side launched an assault on him. He thus attacked those who were on his right such that they were frightened [and retreated]. [He then attacked] those on the left and they [also] were terrified. By Allah, I have never seen a broken [and a wounded] person, whose children, kinsmen and companions had been slain, so tranquil, more resolute and more courageous than him. By Allah, I have not seen his like, neither before him, nor after him. Indeed, the foot soldiers were fleeing from his right and left as goats would flee [and scatter] from a wolf.

As ‘Umar bin Sa‘d drew closer to al-Husayn (as), his sister Zainab, daughter of Fatimah, came out and said: “O ‘Umar bin Sa‘d! Is Abu ‘Abdillah being killed while you [stand by and] watch?! So he turned away his face from her10. It is just as if I am seeing the tears of ‘Umar running down his cheeks and beard!”11

[Meanwhile,] al-Husayn (as) was attacking the cavalry and saying: “Are you inciting one another to kill me! By Allah, you are not going to kill any servant of Allah after me whose killing will incur more wrath upon you than [killing] me. By Allah, I anticipate that Allah shall honour me by disgracing you, and shall take vengeance on you from where you do not perceive12. By Allah, if you kill me, Allah will cause you to fight one another and to shed your blood. Then he will not leave you until he doubles for you the severe punishment.”13

Thereafter, Shamir bin Dhi al-Jaushan advanced towards al-Husayn (as) with the foot soldiers. Among them were Sinan bin Anas al-Nakha’i, Khauliyy bin Yazid al-Asbahi14, Salih bin Wahab al-Yazani, Qash’am bin Amr al- Ju’fi and ‘Abd al-Rahman al-Ju’fi.15 Shamir bin Dhi al-Jaushan began inciting them [against Husein (as)], so they completely encircled [al-Husayn (as)].

A boy16 from among his household came out towards al-Husayn (as). Al-Husayn (as) said to his sister, Zainab bint ‘Ali: “Stop him.” So she held him in order to stop him, but he refused [to take notice of her] and determinedly advanced towards al-Husayn (as).

Bahr bin Ka’b rushed towards al-Husayn (as) with [his] sword. The young lad said [to him]: “O son of an impure woman! Are you [trying to] kill my uncle?!” [Bahr] struck at him with [his] sword. The boy tried to fend off [the blow] with his arm, but the sword cut through [his arm] to the skin [on the other side]. The boy cried out: “O my mother!”

Al-Husayn (as) took hold of him and embraced him. He said: “My nephew, be patient on what has come to you, and anticipate in this the best [from Allah], for Allah will unite you with your righteous ancestors, the Messenger of Allah, ‘Ali bin Abi Talib, Hamzah and Hasan bin ‘Ali.17 May Allah bless them all. O Allah, withhold rain from them and deprive them of the blessings of the earth. O Allah, if you are going to give them comfort till a time, then divide them into factions and make them sects following different ways. Let their rulers never be pleased with them. They summoned us so that they might support us, [but] they became hostile to us and killed us.”18

He waited for a large part of the day. Had the people wished to kill him, they could have done so. But [they were hesitant in killing him such that] each of them would take refuge in the other and a group among them would wish that the other group may spare it [the great sin]. Then Shamir shouted at the people: “Woe onto you! Why are you waiting for the man?! Kill him! May your mothers be deprived of you!” So he was attacked from every side.

The Martyrdom of al-Husayn (as)

Zur’ah bin Sharik al-Tamimi struck him on his palm19 and struck [another blow] on his shoulder. Thus, he would [try to] stand, but would fall prostrate on his noble face. In such a condition, Sinan bin Anas al-Nakha’i stabbed him with a spear such that he (as) fell [to the ground]. No one would get closer to al-Husayn (as) except that Sinan bin Anas would charge on him, fearing that the head of [al-Husayn (as)] may fall in the hands of someone else. He then bent down, slaughtered him and separated his head.20 Thereafter, he handed [the head] to Khauliyy bin Yazid [al-Asbahi].

Al-Husayn (as) was plundered of all that was on him. Qais bin al-Ash’ath21 took his plush, while Ishaq bin Haiwah al-Hadhrami his shirt22. A man from the Banu Nahshal took his sword. His slippers were taken by Aswad [al-Audi] and Bahr bin Ka’b took his trousers23, leaving him uncovered.24

https://www.al-islam.org/event-taff-earliest-historical-account-tragedy-karbala-abu-mikhnaf/martyrdom-al-husayn

The Event of Taff, The Earliest Historical Account of the Tragedy of Karbala’

Abu Mikhnaf

Peace be upon the bloodstained chests.

assalāmu alal juyūbil muđharrajāt,

اَلسَّلامُ عَلَى الْجُيُوبِ الْمُضَرَّجاتِ،

Peace be upon the parched lips.

assalāmu alash-shifāhidh-dhābilāt,

اَلسَّلامُ عَلَى الشِّفاهِ الذّابِلاتِ،

Peace be upon the plucked souls.

assalāmu alan-nufūsil mušţalamāt,

اَلسَّلامُ عَلَى النُّفُوسِ الْمُصْطَلَماتِ،

Peace be upon the snatched spirits.

assalāmu alal 'arwāħil mukhtalasāt,

اَلسَّلامُ عَلَى الأرْواحِ الْمُخْتَلَساتِ،

Peace be upon the stripped corpses.

assalāmu alal 'ajsādil ariyāt,

اَلسَّلامُ عَلَى الأجْسادِ الْعارِياتِ،

Peace be upon the pallid bodies.

assalāmu alal jusūmish-shāħibāt,

اَلسَّلامُ عَلَى الْجُسُومِ الشّاحِباتِ،

Peace be upon the gushing bloods.

asslāmu alad-dimā'is-sā'ilāt,

اَلسَّلامُ عَلَى الدِّماءِ السّائِلاتِ،

Peace be upon the dismembered limbs.

assalāmu alal ađhā'il muqqaţţaāt,

اَلسَّلامُ عَلَى الأعْضاءِ الْمُقَطَّعاتِ،

Peace be upon the heads raised upon lances.

assalāmu alar-ru'ūsil mushālāt,

اَلسَّلامُ عَلَى الرُّؤُوسِ الْمُشالاتِ،

Peace be upon the women (forcibly) exposed.

assalāmu alan-niswatil bārizāt,

اَلسَّلامُ عَلَى النِّسْوَةِ الْبارِزاتِ،

Peace be upon the Proof of the Lord of the worlds.

assalāmu alā ħujjati rabbil ālamīn,

اَلسَّلامُ عَلى حُجَّةِ رَبِّ الْعالَمينَ،

Peace be upon you and upon your pure ancestors.

assalāmu alayka wa alā ābā'ikaţ-ţāhirīn,

اَلسَّلامُ عَلَيْكَ وَ عَلى آبائِكَ الطّاهِرينَ،

Peace be upon you and upon your martyred sons.

assalāmu alayka wa alā 'abnā'ikal mustash-hadīn,

اَلسَّلامُ عَلَيْكَ وَ عَلى أبْنائِكَ الْمُسْتَشْهَدينَ،

Peace be upon you and upon your children who aided (you).

assalāmu alayka wa alā dhurriyyatikan-nāširīn,

اَلسَّلامُ عَلَيْكَ وَ عَلى ذُرِّيَّتِكَ النّاصِرينَ،

Peace be upon you and upon the accompanying Angels.

assalāmu alayka wa alal malā'ikatil muđhājiīn,

اَلسَّلامُ عَلَيْكَ وَ عَلَى الْمَلائِكَةِ الْمُضاجِعينَ،

Peace be upon the slain and the oppressed one.

assalāmu alal qatīlil mađlūm,

اَلسَّلامُ عَلَى الْقَتيلِ الْمَظْلُومِ،

Peace be upon his poisoned brother (Imam al-Hasan).

assalāmu alā 'akhīhil masmūm,

اَلسَّلامُ عَلى أخيهِ الْمَسْمُومِ،

Peace be upon Ali, the elder (Ali al-Akbar).

assalāmu alā aliyyinil kabīr,

اَلسَّلامُ عَلى عَلِيٍّ الْكَبيرِ،

Peace be upon the suckling infant (Ali al-Asghar).

assalāmu alar-rađhīiš-šaghīr,

اَلسَّلامُ عَلَى الرَّضيعِ الصَّغيرِ،

Peace be upon the plundered bodies.

assalāmu alal abdānis-salība,

اَلسَّلامُ عَلَى الأبْدانِ السَّليبَةِ،

Peace be upon the family and children who were nearby (the place of martyrdom) [who where without support among strangers].

assalāmu alal itratil qarība [gharība],

اَلسَّلامُ عَلَى الْعِتْرَةِ الْقَريبَةِ [الْغََريبَةِ]،

Peace be upon the mangled corpses (left) in the desert.

assalāmu alal mujaddalīna fil falawāt,

اَلسَّلامُ عَلَى الْمُجَدَّلينَ فِي الْفَلَواتِ،

Peace be upon those who were left far from their homeland.

assalāmu alan-nāziħīna anil 'awţān,

اَلسَّلامُ عَلَى النّازِحينَ عَنِ الأوْطانِ،

Peace be upon those who were buried without shrouds.

assalāmu alal madfūnīna bilā 'akfān,

اَلسَّلامُ عَلَى الْمَدْفُونينَ بِلا أكْفان،

Peace be upon the heads severed from the bodies.

assalāmu alar-ru'ūsil muffarraqati anil 'abdān,

اَلسَّلامُ عَلَى الرُّؤُوسِ الْمُفَرَّقَةِ عَنِ الأبْدانِ،

Part of Ziyarat Al- Nahiya

full Ziyarat here

http://www.duas.org/ziaratnahiya.htm