Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
S.M.H.A.

The Martyrdom of ‘Ali bin al-Husayn al-Akbar (as)

Rate this topic

‘Ali al-Akbar bin al-Husayn bin ‘Ali (as)1 was the first to be killed on that day from the Banu Abi Talib. His mother was Laila, daughter of Abu Murrah bin Mas’ud al-Thaqafi.2 He began attacking the people while he recited the following:

I am ‘Ali, son of Husayn bin ‘Ali; by the Lord of the House, we are closest to the Prophet.

By Allah! A man born of fornication [i.e. Ibn Ziyad] shall not judge us.3

He did that several times. Then Murrah bin Munqidh bin al-Nu’man al-‘Abdi4saw him. He said: “May the felonies of the Arabs come on me, if he gets past me doing the same as he has been doing [and] I do not deprive his mother of him.”

[‘Ali bin al-Husayn (as)] continued to attack the people with his sword. Murrah bin Munqidh came against him and stabbed him. He was struck down and the people fell upon him, cutting him with their swords. 5,6

Al-Husayn (as) came to [his body] saying: “May Allah kill [the] people who killed you, my son! How foolhardy they are against the Merciful and in violating the sacredness of the family of the Prophet! There will [only] be dust on the world after you.”

A woman came hurrying out, crying: “O my brother! O my nephew! She came up and threw herself on [his body]. Al-Husayn (as) came near to her, held her by her hand and led her back to the tent. He the turned towards his young men and said: “Carry your brother [back].” They carried him from the place he was killed and put him before the tent which they had been fighting in front of.7

https://www.al-islam.org/event-taff-earliest-historical-account-tragedy-karbala-abu-mikhnaf/martyrdom-family-members-al#martyrdom-ali-bin-al-husayn-al-akbar

When all his companions were martyred and none except his household remained,

Ali Ibn Husayn (a.s.) who was more handsome than all the companions, and most pious from the viewpoint of morals, sought permission from his father. Imam permitted him. Imam hopelessly had a glance at his son and wept with lowered eyes and then said: "O Allah! Be witness. Surely a youth has rushed to battlefield who is the most similar person to your messenger in appearance, nature, and manners. Whenever I longed to look at Your Messenger, I would to look at him."

Then he yelled and said: "O Ibn Sa'ad, may Allah cut off your generation just as you cut off my kinsfolk."

Then Ali rushed to the battlefield and waged a furious war and sent a number of unbelievers to the hell. Then he returned to his father and said: "O dear father! Thirst has almost killed me, and the weight of the armor has sapped my strength. Is any water available?"

Husayn (a.s.) wept and replied: "O my dear son! Wherefrom can I bring water? Put up some more resistance. Very soon you will meet your grandfather Muhammad (S) who will give you a drink, after which you will never feel thirsty."

Ali went back to battlefield and gave the greatest fight. Manqaz Ibn Marrah Abdi threw an arrow, which made Ali fall down. He cried: "O father! Accept my Salam (farewell). May Allah protect you. Here is my grand- father who sends greetings to you, and says: Hurry up to us." Then a jerk ended his worldly life.

Husayn (a.s.) came and stood by the body of his son, placed his cheek on his face and said: "May Allah kill those people who killed you. What made them bold enough to go against Allah and violate the honor of His Prophet? Life after you is but a spit."

The narrator said: Zainab, daughter of Ali (a.s.), came out of the tent and threw herself on his body. Husayn (a.s.) came and asked her to return to the womenfolk.

https://www.al-islam.org/lohoof-sighs-sorrow-sayyid-ibn-tawus/battle-and-its-related-events#event-4

Similarities: A dream : - Al-Imam Al- Husayn(as) Sacrifice. Willing acceptance of Ali bin Al- Husayn(as). 

An hour after we left Qasr Bani Muqatil al-Husayn (as) dropped his head drowsily and then woke up saying: “Verily, we belong to Allah and to Him do we indeed return. All praise is due to Allah, Lord of the worlds.” He repeated this twice or three times.

His son, ‘Ali bin al-Husayn (as) approached him [while he was] on his horse and said: “Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him shall we return, and all praise is due to Allah, the Lord of the worlds. O my father! May I be sacrificed for you. Why have you praised Allah and [pronounced] the verse of returning (istirja’)?”

He replied: “O my son! I nodded off and a horseman appeared to me, riding a horse, and he said: “The people are advancing and death is advancing towards them!” So I understood that it is our own souls announcing our deaths to us.”

He said to him: “O father! May Allah never let you see evil! Are not we on the right?”

He replied: “Indeed [we are], by Him to Whom all his servants will return.”

He then said: “O father! Then we need have no concern. We will die righteously.”

He said to him: “May Allah reward you with the best of what he has rewarded a son on account of his father.”

https://www.al-islam.org/event-taff-earliest-historical-account-tragedy-karbala-abu-mikhnaf/stations-way-kufah#qasr-bani-muqatil

فَلَمَّا بَلَغَ مَعَهُ السَّعْيَ قَالَ يَا بُنَيَّ إِنِّي أَرَىٰ فِي الْمَنَامِ أَنِّي أَذْبَحُكَ فَانْظُرْ مَاذَا تَرَىٰ ۚ قَالَ يَا أَبَتِ افْعَلْ مَا تُؤْمَرُ ۖ سَتَجِدُنِي إِنْ شَاءَ اللَّهُ مِنَ الصَّابِرِينَ {102}

[Pickthal 37:102] And when (his son) was old enough to walk with him, (Abraham) said: O my dear son, I have seen in a dream that I must sacrifice thee. So look, what thinkest thou? He said: O my father! Do that which thou art commanded. Allah willing, thou shalt find me of the steadfast.