Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Guest Guest

I just can't cry?!!! :(

Rate this topic

Guest Guest

Salam

I get emotional and sad when I watch a sad movie, and often begin to cry... but the time of Muharram comes, I am hearing majalis, listening to poetry, reading the events on the tragedies of karbala, etc., and am sad, BUT TEARS WON'T COME OUT :(

Any help??

Don't make that be your primary goal. Listen, read and learn as much as you can. The goal, as always, is to attain knowledge and nearness to Allah. These days are to learn, to show more commitment to our values (pray on time, avoid sins, focus on good acts) and to repent for our sins. The rest come as a consequence. Tears are not the goal what's their value without the rest?

Bismillah,

Salam,

There is a narration about the people of the last ages, saying they will be having hearts like stones. I don't know what exactly it means but it probably points towards our hearts which are iron like strong, we are less sensitive day by day. It is not the fault of you or any other individual, but yes we have some duties and sets of ethics. Like people often send disturbing videos, like beheadings, on WhatsApp and stuff, when our brain is used to such horrific stuff, our sensitivity is lost. We should not expose our attention to such abnormal and uncomfortable scenes. 
I can understand your condition. I have this perspective of a psychologist. One possible solution for your problem is that you should distance yourself from uncomfortable stuff, and soften your heart as much as possible. Don't spend to much time on the internet, don't watch movies or videos that can lessen your sensitivity, spend time with your family and recite poetry about Karbala when you are alone, and preferably after midnight.

Wassalam

Iltemas e dua

It's ok, I experience this as well. I feel like I'm being disrespectful when everyone else is crying but I am not. I realise that not everyone cries for everything and they just need more knowledge and to become more deeply embedded on the concept of imam hussain. For me at least, it requires more time to learn about who Imam hussain was, what was his goals were in life, how he lived his life, what were the events leading up to his martyrdom, and who and how they killed him. May Allah curse them

It's important to remember that Imam Hussain (grandson of the prophet) was the leader of the all the muslims on earth but he was alone when he was killed by yazids (Allah curse him) army of 1000's of 1000's. They then beheaded him and crucified his body (as) We are talking about the grandson of the prophet of Allah, Mohammed (pbuh)! who said that "Hussain is from me and I am from Hussain

I'm pleased that you are concerned about crying. It shows that you care. Which is a sign of respect.   

Edited by aaljibar

9 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Salam

I get emotional and sad when I watch a sad movie, and often begin to cry... but the time of Muharram comes, I am hearing majalis, listening to poetry, reading the events on the tragedies of karbala, etc., and am sad, BUT TEARS WON'T COME OUT :(

Any help??

Why does it matter? 

Edited by eThErEaL

53 minutes ago, eThErEaL said:

Why does it matter? 

He has probably heard that shedding tears for hussain comes with great rewards. I have heard it as well. I just can't remember who said it and what was exactly said.

Edited by aaljibar

On 9/16/2018 at 1:29 PM, Guest Guest said:

Any help??

Salam you must act like as sad movies ,that you don't restrict only to an specific time , we must remember him as much as we must remember Imam hussain (عليه السلام) & Karbala  for whole of year not just for a month that restricting it to one month makes it a forcible act ,it's not necessary to be sad whole time but we can imagine & make example if Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) & his family was in this situation what will happen to them for example when you see a child falls on Earth & cries everyone comes to helps him/her & clears his tears but you consider that nobody helped lady Ruqaya & didn't cleared her tear  when she lost her father & she captured by Yazid (la) Army as Imam Khomeini (رضي الله عنه) said "everyday is Ashura and every land is Karbala" he means that we must remember them in any part of our life not just for a month.

17 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Salam

Any help??

Let the life evolve and you will see tears in your eyes. Yesterday my little boy 7 months old was there with me in majalis and I wept the way I never wept in my life and i could feel the pain.

But Salam on imam A.S who faced this brutality in front of his eyes.

Hi 

Imam Sadiq narrated a narration from the time of Prophet Moses when his people had hearts of stone and couldn’t cry. Prophet Moses complained to God Almighty to reveal a food that would soften their hearts, God Almighty revealed that they should eat Lentil Soup for it softens the heart and bring about tears.

Probably the person who is reading Majalis takes things out of line maybe, and says a lot of illogical stories and fabricating things, which holds the tears inside your eyes so instead of having your full senses live the moment with Imam Hussein, you start questioning what hes saying.

Try listening to someone else.

On 9/16/2018 at 7:29 PM, Guest Guest said:

Salam

I get emotional and sad when I watch a sad movie, and often begin to cry... but the time of Muharram comes, I am hearing majalis, listening to poetry, reading the events on the tragedies of Karbala, etc., and am sad, BUT TEARS WON'T COME OUT :(

Any help??

Don't try to think too hard about it. Relax and let the tears come naturally. I remember over 25 years ago when I was a teenager I cried in the dark when hearing the story of Karbala in the mosque. It was a natural reaction because the story has similar elements of individual characters within the context of a family setting that I could relate at this family social event. 

Edited by Murtaza1

On 9/16/2018 at 11:39 PM, eThErEaL said:

Why does it matter? 

It matters more than the world brother. The tears that are shed for the master of martys Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) have more value than you and I can even imagine.

Bismehe Ta3ala 

Assalam Alikum 

We are all sinners.  Attending majlis is an opportunity to give condolences to the Imam of our Time and a time to reform and change for the better.  Imam Hussain as is the fastest way to Allah.

He is the ship of salvation and the light of guidance.

M3 Salamah, Fe Amin Allah 

On 9/16/2018 at 7:29 PM, Guest Guest said:

Salam

I get emotional and sad when I watch a sad movie, and often begin to cry... but the time of Muharram comes, I am hearing majalis, listening to poetry, reading the events on the tragedies of Karbala, etc., and am sad, BUT TEARS WON'T COME OUT :(

Any help??

Not being able to cry at majalis doesn't make you a sinner. Maybe it's just the setting of a majlis and how close you are next to everyone else that makes you uncomfortable with crying then. I kind of have that issue. If I'm really close to someone I'll try to suppress my cry, even if the tears are still flowing. It's just a matter of comfort and how you can connect with the story of ahl al bayt. If you feel absolutely no sympathy for Imam Hussein or his women and children, then yes, there'd be a huge issue. But I don't think that's the problem. What I've understood from you is that you just find it hard to actually physically cry. Imo that's insignificant. The value of a believer isn't measured by the amount of tears shed, but by their faith and ikhlas to Allah. I'm sure Allah and ahl al bayt won't punish you because you weren't able to cry, yet felt extremely saddened. I'd rather be like you than a person who wails the loudest for the sake of vain things like blending in or seeking attention. Just try to relax yourself when you're hearing/reading the tragedy of Karbala, and don't force the tears; they won't come that way. Learn from Imam Hussein and his family, and practice Islam to the best of your ability, and inshallah you'll be rewarded for it.

Also, you might find it easier to cry when watching  movies because they romanticize everything. They also overdramatise everything. The music, cameras, lighting, makeup, costumes etc all play a huuuuge role in making you cry. A drama movie was made to make its audience cry. Imam Hussein's tragedy wasn't made so people can cry for an hour or two and move on with their life. He went through all that hardship so we can understand true Islam and worship Allah in the best way possible. We'd be doing him a great dishonour if we reduced his tragedy to mere tears. 

Hope this helped :)

On 1/19/2019 at 9:47 PM, AStruggler said:

It matters more than the world brother. The tears that are shed for the master of martys Imam Hussain (عليه السلام) have more value than you and I can even imagine.

Thanks for answering my question.