Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Born in a Shia family, Want to learn more

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Asalamu Alaikum, 

I was born into a Shia household and for all my life—like anyone else—I learned about the Ahlul Bayt (as) and ashura, and many other things. 

Not that long ago, I realized that I didn’t want to be Shia because my parents are Shia. I wanted to learn more about Shia, and Sunni, and understand. In other words, I want to increase my knowledge on Islamic events and read any literature. 

Where can I start? I’m not sure if I can purchase any books at the moment and I really only understand English. Does the Al-Islam website have anything I can read? Does anyone have any lectures I can watch? Also, what about Sunni sources? I want to be able to have a well-rounded knowledge. 

Thank you all.

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)

Salam it’s a good site for search also following threats are available 

Edited by Ashvazdanghe
  • Advanced Member
34 minutes ago, Laayla said:

@حسين

ِAssalam Alikum Brother,

Please if you can talk to this brother and tell him about your life experience.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

Asalamu Alaikum, 

Are you asking me to reach out to him, or him to me? Also, I am a sister. 

Thank you for reaching out. 

• Advanced Member

OP, I'd just like to wish you luck! I was in a similar position to you years ago, born in a 'shia' household except my family was formerly 'sunni' so I had some sunni tendencies growing up here and there. I got to the same point you got eventually, and was curious. Personally I didn't use any single source, I searched google and read and listened to lectures at random over years in regards to various subjects, I made sure to get the perspective of both sides of the coin (i.e. don't go to a shia website/book/lecture to learn about sunni beliefs and vice versa). What i did is I started with the main differential between sunni and shia - search about Ali ibn Abi Talib (a.s), learn about his story, then branch out from there to whatever you are interested in learning. It'll take time so be patient!

• Advanced Member

Wa alaykum as-salaam wa rahmatAllahi wa barakattahu

Yes, al-islam.org is a shi'a site and will have many resources for you to use.

Have a sincere niyyah (intention) first, then Allah Himself will guide you to the ultimate truth; resulting in the non-existence of doubt in your heart.

Then you should start with this short book which covers the basics of shi'i Islam, the difference with Sunni Islam, etc.  - https://islamistruth.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/shia.pdf

Here is a book that has the sunnah (traditions, how he lived his life) of rasul Allah Muhammad (s) from the shi'a sources https://www.al-islam.org/sunan-an-nabi-sayyid-muhammad-husayn-tabatabai

We are in the month of Muharram, which you might already know, so here are two threads with many resources and majales from this holy month of grief and sorrow:

Will remember you in my prayers insha'Allah.

Edited by Husayni
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Google is good however you have to ensure it’s from a credible source. If you can’t afford to buy books look in library’s. Also generally talking to other Shias and Muslims or people from other religions is really good. That way you get the first hand experience and knowledge. 

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

Asalamu Alaikum all, 

It has been a while since I have been on shiachat, but I want to thank you all for your kindness and replies. 

@aleena1 @Husayni @dragonxx @Laayla @Ashvazdanghe @abuhaydar 

I want to look into your replies more closely. 

• Advanced Member

@Lebanese36 Wa `alaykum al salaam sister, it is my pleasure to help you.

I have recently read a very short book which is by Shaheed (Martyr) Sayyid Mohammad Baqir Al Sadr (ra), the famous Iraqi martyr and scholar, named "Ghadir" which explains why the shi'a believe in succession to Muhammad. I very highly recommend you read it, it's truly a wonderful and easy to understand book. it is available in English online Here is the link to it.

https://www.al-islam.org/printpdf/book/export/html/30065

You are welcome to ask any questions here sister, we will answer to the best of our abilities insha'Allah. Please remember me in your prayers!

• Advanced Member

@Husayni 

Thank you, brother. I appreciate your efforts in wanting to share this book with me, as well as knowledge that would be beneficial to me. Alhamdulillah, I hope to read it InshaAllah. 

Thank you again, and should I have any questions I will ask them, InshaAllah.

I will remember you in my prayers, InshaAllah.