2Timeless

Why should we suffer the consequences of insolent people?

Rate this topic

Salam, 

I have seen this throughout the forum, people start very interesting and thought provoking threads. They get some good replies. Then certain individuals spam the thread with rude and disgustingly disrespectful posts that are not related to the original topic in any way shape or form. The thread then becomes a war zone where personal insults start to be thrown around, and what was once an important and interesting discussion is killed.  My question is, when we have threads like that discussing important topics that clearly not many people have an understanding of, why does everyone need to suffer the consequences of one or two silly individuals? It's not constructive to delete a whole thread because of a few posts. 

Edited by Khadim uz Zahra

Walaikum Salam. Actually, I totally agree with your point 2Timeless. This actually happened to me a long while ago and I felt really upset about it. Some petty minded people had completely distorted what my thread was about and then flagged up to the mods that my thread should be discontinued. Surely, rather than closing my thread, the off topic comments should have been deleted.

I then started a completely new thread altogether and the moderator who had closed my previous thread began discussing his reasons for closing my previous thread in my new thread. Needless to say, this lead the way to my new thread now becoming all about my previous thread and why it had been closed. The mod himself had gone off topic:furious: and was also belittling my current post and mocking it. This left a really bitter taste in my mouth and shortly after I became more of a lurker on SC rather than actively participating on it.

I came here to increase my knowledge and not to bounce off irrelevant off topic statements by someone/ some individuals who appear to be using SC in an antagonistic manner as a means of relieving their stress. 

There are some really good mods here whom I really admire such as: @notme @Hameedeh. They take their responsibility seriously and are always fair and consistent so I am not saying that this is relevant across the board.

5 hours ago, 2Timeless said:

Then certain individuals spam the thread with rude and disgustingly disrespectful posts that are not related to the original topic in any way shape or form. The thread then becomes a war zone where personal insults start to be thrown around, and what was once an important and interesting discussion is killed.

You have to watch out for the undercover Wahabbi/Salafi who purposely come on here to derail and distract a perfectly valid thread. Sometimes they are easy to pick out but sometimes they are not. Their entire purpose is veer the thread off on a tangent in order to ruin it.

My question is, when we have threads like that discussing important topics that clearly not many people have an understanding of, why does everyone need to suffer the consequences of one or two silly individuals?

That's the nature of a public forum. You'll come across people of all sensibilities, maturity, temperament, etc...You just have to master the art of sorting through the posts and reading the ones that matter vs. the ones that don't matter to the topic of the thread.

It's not constructive to delete a whole thread because of a few posts.

A Mod would best be able to answer that.

4 hours ago, Aflower said:

This left a really bitter taste in my mouth and shortly after I became more of a lurker on SC rather than actively participating on it.

Welcome to the Club. I went to Lurker status years ago. There are many people on here that post valid and thoughtful posts but have become repeatedly frustrated by the fire and brimstone they get hit with because they choose to have a Liberal/Moderate point of view on things. By nature, since this is a religion based forum it attracts Conservative minded people that are only capable of thinking in absolutes. God help you if you are a Liberal on here.

4 hours ago, Aflower said:

I came here to increase my knowledge and not to bounce off irrelevant off topic statements by someone/ some individuals who appear to be using SC in an antagonistic manner as a means of relieving their stress.

Those are the worst. I won't name names here but there are some here that are totally pugilistic when you dare to disagree with them. I once had the misfortune of publically disagreeing with a reg. poster on here and they responded with an entire essay on how they are right and how I am wrong while seething with fury. That person is one of the people that I actively ignore regardless of how valid their thread or post may be. 

Edited by Akbar673

Salam, 

I have seen this throughout the forum, people start very interesting and thought provoking threads. They get some good replies. Then certain individuals spam the thread with rude and disgustingly disrespectful posts that are not related to the original topic in any way shape or form. The thread then becomes a war zone where personal insults start to be thrown around, and what was once an important and interesting discussion is killed.  My question is, when we have threads like that discussing important topics that clearly not many people have an understanding of, why does everyone need to suffer the consequences of one or two silly individuals? It's not constructive to delete a whole thread because of a few posts. 

I think I know the topic you are referring to. It was a very important topic and needed to be discussed. Not sure why it was closed.

On 9/11/2018 at 11:18 AM, Akbar673 said:

By nature, since this is a religion based forum it attracts Conservative minded people that are only capable of thinking in absolutes. God help you if you are a Liberal on here.

I agree with you, "liberals" get called all sorts of names for simply disagreeing with people I would label as extremists. Is it really liberal to accept other people's beliefs and not impose your own ideology on them? I think not. That's just being a respectful human being. I've also considered going into 'lurker mode' but why would I give such people the satisfaction? Lol I'm sticking here to show them how rude and silly they are. @Aflower @Akbar673 you guys should do that too :). 

59 minutes ago, ShiaMan14 said:

I think I know the topic you are referring to. It was a very important topic and needed to be discussed. Not sure why it was closed.

Probably. I wasn't only referencing that one topic but it is one of the factors that lead me to making this thread, which will also probably be closed when some self righteous preacher will come and call us out for our treachery. Lol. It was closed because it turned into a personal attack game. Its such a shame because I still haven't got a reasonable answer. Neither has anyone else. 

Edited by 2Timeless

I hate when that happens too. 

Sometimes it's much easier for the moderation team to just close the topic rather than to try to pick out the moment it began to diverge and hide all posts after that one. I, personally, don't mind if you wait a few days for everyone to calm down, then try to discuss again in a fresh new thread. I do not necessarily speak for the entire moderation team when I say this, just for myself. 

Try to not respond to known trolls. It's difficult when not everyone recognizes that they are trolling and it seems someone will always respond. If a topic goes off course, try to bring it back with a reminder of the original question. Unfortunately, it's difficult. 

Trolls who are careful to not specifically violate site rules are difficult. 

On 9/11/2018 at 12:04 PM, notme said:

I hate when that happens too. 

Sometimes it's much easier for the moderation team to just close the topic rather than to try to pick out the moment it began to diverge and hide all posts after that one. I, personally, don't mind if you wait a few days for everyone to calm down, then try to discuss again in a fresh new thread. I do not necessarily speak for the entire moderation team when I say this, just for myself. 

Try to not respond to known trolls. It's difficult when not everyone recognizes that they are trolling and it seems someone will always respond. If a topic goes off course, try to bring it back with a reminder of the original question. Unfortunately, it's difficult. 

Trolls who are careful to not specifically violate site rules are difficult. 

I think this is a very good point.

I agree that ideally these threads could be handled in a better way by the moderators (remove inappropriate or off topic posts rather than to lock the entire topic) but we can also help out by ignoring anyone who is being obnoxious or derailing the thread. If anything, it is best to reply to them with a simple 'salaam alaikum'

25:63 And the servants of the Beneficent Allah are they who walk on the earth in humbleness, and when the ignorant address them, they say: Peace.