Jump to content
alidu78

What was it like for a woman to wear hijab under Pahlavi?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

I know that during Reza pahlavi the hijab was simply forbidden but what about his son? I know that during his reign hijab was "permitted" but did women wearing hijab were easily permitted to work or go to school with hijab? Did the government discourage hijab? I am iranian myself but I was not here during pahlavi Era this is why I ask. My father was here but he was young and left Iran many years before Islamic revolution so he doesn't know very well himself. 

Edited by Haji 2003
Original title was, "How did that was for women wearing hijab under pahlavi?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't there but found this online:

Under next ruler Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, official measures relaxed slightly and wearing of the headscarf or chador was no longer an offence, but under his regime, chador became a significant hindrance to climbing the social ladder as it was considered a badge of backwardness and an indicator of being a member of the lower class.  Discrimination against the women wearing the headscarf or chador was still widespread with public institutions actively discouraging their use, with even some restaurants refusing to admit women who wore them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kashf-e_hijab

Edited by Maryaam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, shadow_of_light said:

My parents also said that buying and selling certain religious books such as those written by Dr. Shariati were forbidden and if you were found reading these books, you would be arrested.

Which Shariati?

Shukran.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to the Shah's wife, their servant was a typical example of the type of people that were at the forefront of the revolution, she talked about how she would walk around in a swimsuit and give orders to him and how he was muslim and how offensive that may have been to him. She said she never gave thought to this and this was one of the key drivers behind the revolution. So I think even if it was allowed, it was probably overshadowed by the promotion of western culture. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, shadow_of_light said:

They were not allowed to have hijab in the schools.

My grandma wore one anyways :keeporder:

I was told girls who wore them were beaten though and it was very much discouraged though not banned completely like under Reza Shah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mohamed1993 said:

She said she never gave thought to this and this was one of the key drivers behind the revolution. So I think even if it was allowed, it was probably overshadowed by the promotion of western culture. 

She was a communist sympathizer & didn't care about Islam & inserted many communist & Atheist among governments & shah advisors , in media of that time Hijab was just for humilation , Hijab was shown as costume of Uneducated & superstitious people & a tool for imprisoning & locking women at house at last movies of that era before revolution every type of Hijab was shown as dress of [Edited Out] women that they were wear it inappropriately to distract men in public. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mansur Bakhtiari said:

My grandma wore one anyways :keeporder:

I was told girls who wore them were beaten though and it was very much discouraged though not banned completely like under Reza Shah.

My father said to me that my great grand mother refused to leave hijab during Reza shah and was beaten in the street because of that so I think that was really forbidden. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

She was a communist sympathizer & didn't care about Islam & inserted many communist & Atheist among governments & shah advisors , in media of that time Hijab was just for humilation , Hijab was shown as costume of Uneducated & superstitious people & a tool for imprisoning & locking women at house at last movies of that era before revolution every type of Hijab was shown as dress of [Edited Out] women that they were wear it inappropriately to distract men in public. 

That would be interresting to find some anti hijab propaganda make during Mohammad Reza pahlavi reign. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, alidu78 said:

That would be interresting to find some anti hijab propaganda make during Mohammad Reza pahlavi reign. 

they didn't call it anti hijab ,what was they doing misrepresenting of Hijab.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mansur Bakhtiari said:

My grandma wore one anyways :keeporder:

I was told girls who wore them were beaten though and it was very much discouraged though not banned completely like under Reza Shah.

They had to wear uniforms. They were not allowed to go to schools if they had hijab.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alidu78 said:

My father said to me that my great grand mother refused to leave hijab during Reza shah and was beaten in the street because of that so I think that was really forbidden. 

It was forbidden during the time of Reza Shah but to my knowledge, when his son was the king, hijab was not forbidden in the streets or at universities (for students).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, shadow_of_light said:

hijab was not forbidden in the streets or at universities (for students).

it was not forbidden but it was a sign of stupidity in University .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, alidu78 said:

Sign of stupidity according to people or according to some propaganda? 

both of them in universities at that people was behaving with Hijabis as stupids &  people in public were under influence of propaganda even between revolutionary people were being non hijabis after Revolution untill hijab became mandatory by attachment to law of appearance  after revolution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

both of them in universities at that people was behaving with Hijabis as stupids &  people in public were under influence of propaganda even between revolutionary people were being non hijabis after Revolution untill hijab became mandatory by attachment to law of appearance  after revolution.

If the revolution didn't happen in Iran I am not sure hijab and chador would survive nowadays in Iran.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

:angry:

At this point l am guessing: Ali Shariati the sociologist?

lf so, we didn't have him in the class for the lead-up to the Ten-Day (circa 1981)

Yes.

Ten-day? Do you mean the revolution? It happened in 1978. Yes, he was an influential figure who introduced new aspects of Islam in his books and encoraged people to rise against Shah. But he was not alive at the time of revolution.

Edited by shadow_of_light

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shadow_of_light said:

Ten-day?

Ten Day Dawn

Even though there were years of lead-up to the Revolution inside both lran and US (Muslim Students Association), we were told the Revolution got into full swing in 1979.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2018 at 1:14 AM, alidu78 said:

My father said to me that my great grand mother refused to leave hijab during Reza shah and was beaten in the street because of that so I think that was really forbidden. 

This is a quote of Imam Khomeini

image.png.66c0e52c9d967403601ae932eb144eda.png

It was very very bad but I think my grandmother didn't suffer as much since it was under the second shah not reza shah

On 9/8/2018 at 2:18 AM, shadow_of_light said:

They had to wear uniforms. They were not allowed to go to schools if they had hijab.

Hmm she told me she wore it during that time and the teachers would punish her, maybe she meant outside of school? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2018 at 6:37 PM, hasanhh said:

Ten Day Dawn

Even though there were years of lead-up to the Revolution inside both lran and US (Muslim Students Association), we were told the Revolution got into full swing in 1979.

Salam ,Ten day Dawn was named by Imam Khomeini ,revolution started from many years ago before but it was like being in darkness until the final Ten days arrived.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×