Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Futuremedstudent

What do you study or have a degree in and what is your work?

On 9/11/2018 at 8:03 AM, Mzwakhe said:

:book:

CPP

:hahaha:

On 9/4/2018 at 11:35 PM, Futuremedstudent said:

Interested to know what your interests are in academia/ line of work!

Personally I study science as a Futuremedstudent :verryhappy:

I studied Political Science as an undergrad and then went to Law School.

On 9/6/2018 at 7:51 PM, notme said:

I studied civil engineering

My son wants to study Engineering.

"Scientists study the world as it is; Engineers create the world that has never been."

BA in Humanities. Mickey Mouse degree really, but it educates you on people, cultures, history etc. I worked as a medical secretary in psychiatry, as a health care support worker on a psychiatric ward and as an auxiliary nurse on a respiratory and complex care dementia ward before ending work due to poor mental health and to help with my children at home. 

Edited by aaaz1618
Add

I’m an English Major with plans on becoming an Elementary School teacher. I might go into a Psych program to become a therapist in the future. 

But for right now, I can’t wait to become a teacher! 

I have a bachelor degree in Biochemistry and I have mostly worked as Lab technician/ Scientist. The working environment is great in most companies. There was also job security until few years ago, because lab technician positions required  degree, but now companies are hiring people with high school degrees. I am seriously thinking about changing my career after working for 12 years. I guess I should have been promoted and become a manager by now, but I don't have leadership skills and not great communication skills. I would recommend getting medical lab technician certification or some health related field, because for those positions, companies cannot hire people who don't have degrees. 

I don't know what is my "passion". I loved doing math when I was studying, so I guess I should have gone in some math related field, but at that time I wanted to become a doctor, so I chose Biochemistry. Standards have gone up in recent years. If you are in Science, you have to show that you are passionate about Science and talk Science like the people in that show Big Bang Theory. If you cannot do that, people assume you are not interested in Science. 

Edited by rkazmi33

Guest theObserver

double degree in Software engineering and Physics, was interested in Game Engine design which am not interested in anymore

currently not working in either industry have other goals in life

22 hours ago, aaaz1618 said:

BA in Humanities. Mickey Mouse degree really

No such thing as a Mickey Mouse degree. Any process which involves the enlightment of a person in any discipline is a blessing.

22 hours ago, aaaz1618 said:

it educates you on people, cultures, history etc.

That's something that I personally feel more of the world should take and learn about. To learn and understand about other cultures, religions, races, etc...would go miles in preventing bigotry and prejudice in the world. Eliminates Tribalism as well. 

I was a History minor in College and can wax poetic about the importance of learning History of any kind. If you don't learn about the past, then you are doomed to repeat it.

22 hours ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

I’m an English Major with plans on becoming an Elementary School teacher.

My daughter wants to be teacher too. She loves kids and would rather hang around with them than hang around with adults (can't say I disagree with her...lol)

On 5/2/2019 at 11:10 AM, Panzerwaffe said:

I want my son to be a politician or a lawyer or both

See my thread about running for office. Shoot me a PM whenever you get a chance. How old is your son?

Salams,

I study life sciences at university but I don't really have an interest in it at all. It was more because my family wanted me to do medicine but I've decided against it myself. My own interests are in history, religious studies, codicology, philosophy, and philology. I especially enjoy Near Eastern studies which include, among other things Islamic studies. I've been trying to take courses as electives more in line with my own interests, history and religious studies ones of course but took Biblical Hebrew and Latin in this school year that just ended as well as a few other things on my own, planning on taking Ancient Greek in the fall when I'll have my final year. In the future I'd like to do graduate studies in one of the above subjects, I've been speaking to a professor about how it would be to apply to do a masters in Semitic philology in the future, I've been attracted to epigraphy for the past few years. I really do wish that when I was in high school I could have known about these things which now interest me, but often you're just presented with one of the STEM fields or business. A pity, but I'm glad I got to discover these things. Not sure how life will turn out or if I'll be able to get to do graduate studies but I'd like to be a teacher.

My advise to people is not to look at your profession as your Passion , profession is a way to make money if you are reasonably interested that you can earn a good honest living and have plenty of spare time to pursue other academic spiritual or miscellaneous interests then that is life well spent 

Very few can make their passion a profession and be successful in it 

Unless accounting is your passion or stockmarket 

Guest Enquiring
2 hours ago, Ibn Al-Ja'abi said:

Salams,

I study life sciences at university but I don't really have an interest in it at all. It was more because my family wanted me to do medicine but I've decided against it myself. My own interests are in history, religious studies, codicology, philosophy, and philology. I especially enjoy Near Eastern studies which include, among other things Islamic studies. I've been trying to take courses as electives more in line with my own interests, history and religious studies ones of course but took Biblical Hebrew and Latin in this school year that just ended as well as a few other things on my own, planning on taking Ancient Greek in the fall when I'll have my final year. In the future I'd like to do graduate studies in one of the above subjects, I've been speaking to a professor about how it would be to apply to do a masters in Semitic philology in the future, I've been attracted to epigraphy for the past few years. I really do wish that when I was in high school I could have known about these things which now interest me, but often you're just presented with one of the STEM fields or business. A pity, but I'm glad I got to discover these things. Not sure how life will turn out or if I'll be able to get to do graduate studies but I'd like to be a teacher.

You would make an excellent one. Your writing and comprehension on subjects that aren't even your core degree is on a level , depth and interest greater than what most people are doing. As for Medicine, that is the last career someone would want to be pressured into doing, it would have been a totally miserable life. It might be a longer route, a few more years, but you would make a great teacher. 

Guest theObserver

before university I was so passionate about computer science and working in that field, University completely destroyed that passion and the industry made me hate it, nothing is as you think it will be, especially in game design and developement, it is the worst industry to be in for computer science and the people who work in it, its a surprise they even know what fun is anymore let alone be able to simulate it in a game, these people have their souls grinded to the bone and on top of it all they are so underpaid compared to other computer science fields, and more overworked than any other computer science field, its a miracle anyone stays in it and actual games get completed

On 5/2/2019 at 4:18 PM, Mzwakhe said:

CPP

:hahaha:

Conscious & Practical Philosophy

taken from a treatise of a brother who breaks it down beautifully. alhamdulillah.

example, in Alpha-Beta of Consciousness he talks like this:

''If in intelligence creative abideth,

perception of the world accentuateth,

Self realisation acchieveth, Essence of Creative acknowledgeth

Experience through life acquired;

If through endeavor, correctly, in all things, acteth

Then to positivity adhered,

Intelligence creative admitteth;

Then Immortality affirmeth...

then he talks about practical equations of existence;

Equation one:

by recognising & doing the will of the Creator a cosmic entity concludes a most inviolable covenant of peace with the Creator, & consequently with him/herself & with the entire cosmic universe. vibrant mind & unlimited vision are acquired as well as the attainment of real depth of faith, Hence:

Purity of Enlightened Intention = Soundness of Spirit + Growth of intellect.

GIFT FROM THE CREATOR

in an atmosphere of cosmic peace, the cosmic entity acquires a decent body which provides a healthy temple for his/her spirit in which to develop & maintain immense strength of charecter through the parts of the body in obedience to the Creator...

Equation two:

THE NEGATION OF PARADISE has seven gates. to each is allocated a portioon of the people who have sinned against the Creator with the following parts of the body: eye, ear, tongue, hands, feet, the stomach & the genitals, these should be guarded,

1. using the eye to behold the wonders of the realm of the Earth & the heavens, learning signs therein

2. using the ear to listen to the word of God...

3. using the tongue to engage frequently in the mention of his name...

4. guarding the stomach from containing what is haram

5. guarding the genitals from haram interactions ( don't sleep with your mother/sister/daughter/brother's daughter/brother's wife/another man's wife/animals & etc)

6. guarding the hand from haram actions... *NB; in CPP, it is the action/deed, the doer & the Creator as the witness

7. guarding the feet from going to forbidden places...

the acts of these external members of the body develop through the attributes of the heart, therefore

Nobility of Blessed Action = Cleanliness of the Body + Strength of Charecter

Equation Three:

purity of the enlightened intention & nobility of blessed action are intricately intertwined such that each is a factor of the Worthiness of the human life.

Worthiness of Human Life = Purity of Enlightened IntentionNobility of Blessed Action

The Essence

... the Will of the Creator is a certain & infallible guide to the straight path of peace & prosperity, providing a model behaviour & a criterion for distinguishing good & evil.

Humanity Exists as Life Continues

then he goes deep in the;

Quantification of Quality( The Mathematical Metaphor of Creation)

the Fibonacci, golden ratio, Space, Time, & Space-Time are cited & etc

the emphasis is on practicality, just like this du'a, ' I seek refuge with Allah(سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) from the knowledge I cannot act upon'

this field is hard due to the fact that satan(la) an avowed enemy is lurking unseen using those closer to you to disturb, but what is good about it is the AB(as)'s teachings

do you have a soccer ball, I'll show you a couple of sciences

ws

On 5/2/2019 at 10:20 AM, Akbar673 said:

Well, that's very interesting. How does it work exactly?

It uses several 'wedges' which shifts the location of images -like from x ->x' (see optometry)

Then overlaid one on top of another. Which then gives a kind of fuzzy/slightly double picture.

Finally, this is rectified.

After I worked this all out, I studied it to see why it was not done before. The problem was, as I read after the year 2000, was the same as 50 and more years ago. The expectation was "to be able to look down the side of an object". This is not it. The whole problem was not properly defined. It took nineteen years --to the week, start to operating model.

Unfortunately, I cannot get past the laughter. 

On 5/3/2019 at 10:39 PM, Ruqaya101 said:

Bachelor of Medical Sciences!

Good luck on your studies

I have a degree in Network System Administration. But, I am in IT Security and am currently a physical and cyber security Auditor and advisor. I also try to do pro bono work (IT) for Islamic nonprofit's, Arab/Persian cultural nonprofits and of course nonprofits that focus on my beloved Palestinian people.  However, the last two nonprofits I tried to help with were way way sketchy so I haven't been able to be of service to anyone lately.