Rate this topic

Al-Salamu Alaykum brothers and sisters

Recently I have been contemplating and insha Allah you all can help me answer my questions. So of course I believe in the flood of Prophet Nuh (as), as every Muslim should, because it is a clear story in the Holy Qur'an. But I have three questions about it;

1) was the flood regional or global? Every mufassir I have checked has said it was a global flood.

2) If it was global, or even regional, how can we explain this Verse;

At length, behold! there came Our command, and the fountains of the earth gushed forth! We said: "Embark therein, of each kind two, male and female, and your family - except those against whom the word has already gone forth,- and the Believers." but only a few believed with him. 11:40

Would this not be at least thousands if not millions of animals - which is way too much to fit in a single Ark? What about the animals from other parts of the Earth, like polar bears? And what is the meaning of "kind"? 

3) If it was global, were the humans in other parts of the world also affected? 

Thank you

Edited by Sumerian

Walaykum Salam 

Perhaps what is meant is every animal in his locality not every animal on earth. The Quran doesn't explicitly say whether the flood was global or local. I've thought about this and other stories in the Quran a lot and I'm not sure we should take the stories in the Quran as literal historical events. That's not really their purpose in the first place. They give us moral lessons, spiritual insights, and typologies of ahlul bayt (as). So for the story of Noah (as), he shows us to remain patient even if the people reject and ridicule you for preaching the truth. The ship also is an analogy for ahlul bayt (as), those who board it are the believers those who don't perish. 

وَتِلْكَ الْأَمْثَالُ نَضْرِبُهَا لِلنَّاسِ ۖ وَمَا يَعْقِلُهَا إِلَّا الْعَالِمُونَ - 29:43

And We draw these parables for mankind; but no one grasps them except those who have knowledge.

2 hours ago, Sumerian said:

Recently I have been contemplating and insha Allah you all can help me answer my questions. So of course I believe in the flood of Prophet Nuh (as), as every Muslim should, because it is a clear story in the Holy Qur'an. But I have three questions about it;

1) was the flood regional or global? Every mufassir I have checked has said it was a global flood.

At length, behold! there came Our command, and the fountains of the earth gushed forth! We said: "Embark therein, of each kind two, male and female, and your family - except those against whom the word has already gone forth,- and the Believers." but only a few believed with him. 11:40

Would this not be at least thousands if not millions of animals - which is way too much to fit in a single Ark? What about the animals from other parts of the Earth, like polar bears? And what is the meaning of "kind"? 

Thank you

Gilgamesh, king of the Sumerian city-state Uruk was the protagonist/hero  of the famous epic of 'Epic of Gilgamesh' written in 2100 BC ( long before the Bible) in which the first Great Flood story appears. Many scholars claim that the Genesis flood account is a copy of the Sumerian Epic. 

Problems with the Flood story have been pointed out and questioned before; see this link:
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-noahs-ark.html

There is also the hypothesis that global flood stories were inspired by ancient observations of seashells and fish fossils in inland and mountain areas. Greeks, Egyptians, and Romans all documented the discovery of such remains in these locations; hence the belief that the Earth had been covered by water, citing the seashells and fish fossils found on mountain tops as evidence of this history.

Hope it helps?

ws.

59 minutes ago, Shi3i_jadeed said:

Walaykum Salam 

Perhaps what is meant is every animal in his locality not every animal on earth. The Quran doesn't explicitly say whether the flood was global or local. I've thought about this and other stories in the Quran a lot and I'm not sure we should take the stories in the Quran as literal historical events. That's not really their purpose in the first place. They give us moral lessons, spiritual insights, and typologies of ahlul bayt (as). So for the story of Noah (as), he shows us to remain patient even if the people reject and ridicule you for preaching the truth. The ship also is an analogy for ahlul bayt (as), those who board it are the believers those who don't perish. 

وَتِلْكَ الْأَمْثَالُ نَضْرِبُهَا لِلنَّاسِ ۖ وَمَا يَعْقِلُهَا إِلَّا الْعَالِمُونَ - 29:43

And We draw these parables for mankind; but no one grasps them except those who have knowledge.

Is there any proof it only relates to his locality? 

Also, the stories are literal bro. They aren't symbolic stories. Everything in the Qur'an happened. These are the revelations that Jibra'il (as) told the Prophet (saww) about the stories of the past. Not one indication supports the symbolic thesis and I don't believe any traditionalist aalim has accepted them, in fact they might call someone a deviant if he believes otherwise.

13 minutes ago, Quisant said:

Gilgamesh, king of the Sumerian city-state Uruk was the protagonist/hero  of the famous epic of 'Epic of Gilgamesh' written in 2100 BC ( long before the Bible) in which the first Great Flood story appears. Many scholars claim that the Genesis flood account is a copy of the Sumerian Epic. 

Problems with the Flood story have been pointed out and questioned before; see this link:

There is also the hypothesis that global flood stories were inspired by ancient observations of seashells and fish fossils in inland and mountain areas. Greeks, Egyptians, and Romans all documented the discovery of such remains in these locations; hence the belief that the Earth had been covered by water, citing the seashells and fish fossils found on mountain tops as evidence of this history.

Hope it helps?

ws.

Thank you for your attempt but I'm really looking for Islamic answers to my questions above, not reasons to doubt or disbelieve in this event. Once again, thank you sir but that's not the purpose of my thread.

39 minutes ago, Quisant said:

Hope it helps?

ws.

What do you make of the Chinese Flood Myth?

One account of the Great Flood is said to have occurred during the reign of Emperor Yao . After the flooding began, he sought the advice of his advisors, the Four Mountains, who told him to appoint his distant cousin Gun to control the floods. Gun accepted the commission and chose to steal Xirang, a self-expanding soil, from the supreme deity. He continuously used this soil to build dams and embankments to battle the oncoming flood, but they would not hold and generally collapsed. Nine years later Emperor Yao resigned in shame and appointed another distant relative recommended by the Four Mountains, Shun. Shun became co-emperor and reorganized the kingdom the better deal with the flood. Despite these efforts, Gun was still unable to hold off the flood waters and four years later the waters were still said to be rising. Gun continued his efforts, claiming that the hard work of the people to build dams, dikes and embankments would eventually gain control of the flood waters. Continuous failing led Shun to banish Gun, his son Yu then taking over the efforts. Yu implemented drainage systems and was thus able to accomplish what his father never could.

3 hours ago, Sumerian said:

Thank you

Flood was happen everywhere in the world.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/flood-myths.html

You can check here.

1 hour ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:
1 hour ago, Quisant said:

What do you make of the Chinese Flood Myth?

I must admit I don't know much about it.  

It is reputed to have been a very large flood effecting no less than 9 provinces in China some 4000 years ago.
According to legend, an immense flood, a huge natural disaster left a portion of China on the brink of ruin, but the Hero Yu managed to divert much of the floodwater away from major settlements.

It was once believed a myth but now there is evidence that the flood was historical.

More recently, a powerful earthquake shook the region, and evidence shows that a huge landslide blocked the upper section of the Yellow River. This natural dam accumulated water over nine months, before catastrophically bursting.

This geological evidence matches up incredibly well with the story of the flood described in ancient Chinese texts, which strongly suggests that the myth was true all along.

Anyway, the poster Sumerian has asked me not to deviate from the purpose of his thread...so I will leave it at that.

ws.