Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

What are your hobbies and interests?

Rate this topic

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am very interested about history and geographics. I could litteraly read during hours without interruption about history of practically every people and civilization. Also I am a student of geopolit

after you write a good chunk of the story, start thinking of the title. it'll have deeper meaning and more spark.

Story of my life. Lol   OP: My interests include writing, reading, photography, psychology, painting, poetry, body image in people with EDs and in teens, alternate orthodontics, yoga, weight

• Advanced Member
2 minutes ago, DarConall said:

Reading (both fiction and non-fiction), drawing (photo realistic portraiture), coding (JAVA), gaming (not so much), walking, writing. 

I'm one of those tech savy dudes, you can could argue that to be a hobby too. Religion is also a thing I spend a lot of time on, obviously. 

That's good stuff, MashaAllah! Personally I suffer from technical dyslexia. And I can't draw! I believe I was born this way :cry:

• Advanced Member
5 minutes ago, Carlzone said:

That's good stuff, MashaAllah! Personally I suffer from technical dyslexia. And I can't draw! I believe I was born this way :cry:

There's no need to change, you probably have a friend around like me; ready to answer all your technical questions! 

There's a LOT to say about drawing, I don't know whether you asked for this explanation or not, but here goes: drawing is not a talent, it's either a set of skills that combine into ability to draw well, or a lot of concious practise. Or a combination of both. Drawing was never difficult for me, I did well from the get go, and I'd say that's totally my mindset and the way I look at things... but others have convinced me it really is skill. Maybe best way to explain it is as something you've to realize, something that suddenly clicks. That's how it is for me, but after that there's a very steep learning curve, although for most people you'll be a good drawer already.

Edited by DarConall
  • Advanced Member
3 minutes ago, DarConall said:

There's no need to change, you probably have a friend around like me; ready to answer all your technical questions! 

There's a LOT to say about drawing, I don't know whether you asked for this explanation or not, but here goes: drawing is not a talent, it's either a set of skills that combine into ability to draw well, or a lot of concious practise. Or a combination of both. Drawing was never difficult for me, I did well from the get go, and I'd say that's totally my mindset and the way I look at things... but others have convinced me it really is skill. 

We are all blessed with different talents and that's perfectly normal.

I might not be good at drawing, but I use my creativeness and sense of art in interior design - and I'm known for my sense of beauty and ability to match things :)

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
5 minutes ago, DarConall said:

There's a LOT to say about drawing, I don't know whether you asked for this explanation or not, but here goes: drawing is not a talent, it's either a set of skills that combine into ability to draw well, or a lot of concious practise. Or a combination of both. Drawing was never difficult for me, I did well from the get go, and I'd say that's totally my mindset and the way I look at things... but others have convinced me it really is skill. Maybe best way to explain it is as something you've to realize, something that suddenly clicks. That's how it is for me, but after that there's a very steep learning curve, although for most people you'll be a good drawer already.

BROO,i cannot even draw a circle 

does that mean that I’ve no skill?

I always sucked at drawing

• Advanced Member
11 minutes ago, Carlzone said:

We are all blessed with different talents and that's perfectly normal.

I might not be good at drawing, but I use my creativeness and sense of art in interior design - and I'm known for my sense of beauty and ability to match things :)

My ability to match things is non-existent... I've been 'mocked' often enough by my sisters for my clothing choices upon leaving the house. As you said, we all have different talents (although I'd call them interests which can eventually change into skills) which is perfect as we can help each other that way. 

Would you mind sharing what country you're from? I suspect somewhere in Europe. Just curious!

11 minutes ago, Natsu said:

BROO,i cannot even draw a circle 

does that mean that I’ve no skill?

I always sucked at drawing

I feel uncomfortable speaking about something I know I'm good at, as though I've no right to because I can still get better. But here goes anyway: let's divide drawing into 10 levels, 1 is absolutely disastrous, and 10 is the greatest skill. For me personally from one until around 8 is just a switch that needs turning, something that clicks, a mindset that can change by an hours lesson. From 8 until 10 then becomes improvement through practise. I hope I'm making myself clear enough. Friends of mine 'suck' at drawing, until they sit next to me for 10 minutes and see how I do it and find some guidance from a source they trust. Really just as simple as knowing how to do it. Drawing well is having objective eyes, or something making you aware of your own bias in drawing. Does that explain well enough? 1-8 is mindset and not skill, but will be perceived as a stair of gradually increasing skill by outsiders, even though that's not really the case.

Edited by DarConall
  • Advanced Member
2 minutes ago, DarConall said:

My ability to match things is non-existent... I've been 'mocked' often enough by my sisters for my clothing choices upon leaving the house. As you said, we all have different talents (although I'd call them interests which can eventually change into skills) which is perfect as we can help each other that way. 

Would you mind sharing what country you're from? I suspect somewhere in Europe. Just curious!

Exactly! I believe God created us that way so that we all can help each other in different ways! :)

Well, I'm originally Iraqi, I was born in Syria and as a toddler we fled to northern Europe where I grew up :)

What about you?

• Veteran Member
5 hours ago, hasanhh said:

The language of Qur'an.

Thanx to Notme, with click her like l now have nickles, four straight fives in "Iikes". 5,555

1555hrs on 02 Sept18

Which is another 'hobby' of mine: looking for oddities.

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
2 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

Thanx to Notme, with click her like l now have nickles, four straight fives in "Iikes". 5,555

1555hrs on 02 Sept18

Which is another 'hobby' of mine: looking for oddities.

Excuse my language 

DAMNNNNNN!!!!

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Natsu said:

Are you good at basketball?

cuz if you are,I’d like to go up against you one day

I'm a bit washed up now but used to play college ball as a starter. I also threw it down pretty easily with 1 + 2 hands. But now I can only hang on rim ='(

Come to ottawa if you wanna get schooled though =D

Edited by dragonxx
  • Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Carlzone said:

InshaAllah you will get the opportunity to visit Ahlul bayt a.s. Have you ever visited any of them? 

I used to love video games too. Mostly Super Mario and Sonic which I recently learnt are satanistic - they want to teach children that collecting money is the most important thing in life... Also they are named partially after the Masons: Mario & Sonic. 

I used to like baking too :)

Noooooooo mario on nintendo and SNES was amazing, so was sonic on sega =(

Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to go and doesn't look like I will any time in the next several years, but Allahu a3lam.

You shud continue baking, it's exciting trying new recipes =P

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, DarConall said:

I dunno I used to enjoy drawing but am only good when I am replicating something (which anyone can do). Otherwise I'm God awful no matter how much I try, and I feel like some people are just naturally far more dextrous and creative than others which is where I feel "skill" comes into play.

• Advanced Member
41 minutes ago, dragonxx said:

Noooooooo mario on nintendo and SNES was amazing, so was sonic on sega =(

Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to go and doesn't look like I will any time in the next several years, but Allahu a3lam.

You shud continue baking, it's exciting trying new recipes =P

InshaAllah you will go soon! :)

I never planned my hajj, two ziyarat to imam ridha a.s. Iraq I did try for many years but it didn't work out. When I read about imam Hussain a.s. and what happened in Karbala I suddenly got the chance to go. And the second time I went to Iraq I said the night before I found out I was going to go "I wish to go to Iraq and do ziyaras again". The day after my mom told me we were going! What a quick duaa response SubhanAllah! :)

The ziyaras in Iraq are absolutely amazing! If you are like me you will develop an addiction to them! :hahaha: Seriously, I have live channels from Karbala, Najaf etc and I can sit for hours and just look at the shrines and the activities there and remember the peace I felt there. I just didn't want to leave. I could just sit and stare at the hazra all day - I wouldn't mind. I'd be sooo happy! I wish they were here in the country I live in so that I could go visit them continuously. 

InshaAllah you and everyone who wants to will get the opportunity to go soon! :)

Edited by Carlzone
  • Advanced Member

@dragonxx

Oh and yeah, I'm thinking about throwing a party because I just have something to really celebrate - maybe I should bake a cake then amongst other things. 

The thing is one of my friends has a superspecial diet - while I have no restrictions except for halal. I must check if she can eat this supertasty cake and everything else. It is a bit frustrating I must say.

• Advanced Member
41 minutes ago, dragonxx said:

I dunno I used to enjoy drawing but am only good when I am replicating something (which anyone can do).

Don't be so sure about that! I have evidence to the contrary! :hahaha:

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Anonymous2144 said:

Cars....very expensive...

Ouch. Yes, that is expensive. 

I have always thanked God that I'm not obsessed with gold and jewellery like many other women as that is an expensive interest.

But on the other hand I'm obsessed with travelling which can be expensive too. 

• Advanced Member
15 hours ago, Carlzone said:

The thing is one of my friends has a superspecial diet - while I have no restrictions except for halal. I must check if she can eat this supertasty cake and everything else. It is a bit frustrating I must say.

make a cake for everyone then make a special cupcake for her =P

• Advanced Member
6 minutes ago, dragonxx said:

make a cake for everyone then make a special cupcake for her =P

Good idea, but I must still check if she can eat a cupcake. She really has a very special diet: no meat, no dairy, and I believe it must be raw food, and not food that is heated above a certain degree...

I now know what we all will be eating: air! :hahaha:

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, Carlzone said:

Good idea, but I must still check if she can eat a cupcake. She really has a very special diet: no meat, no dairy, and I believe it must be raw food, and not food that is heated above a certain degree...

I now know what we all will be eating: air! :hahaha:

I was going to suggest one of these photos, but there were too many to choose so I'm offering the whole list.

https://www.google.com/search?q=raw+food+cupcake&safe=active&client=ms-android-verizon&prmd=ivsn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwitzd-fiZ_dAhVxS98KHcKdA2MQ_AUIESgB&biw=360&bih=560

• Advanced Member
31 minutes ago, notme said:

Oh wow thank you! :)That's very helpful! I'm sure I can do something from those suggestions InshaAllah:) 

• Advanced Member
12 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

Story of my life. Lol :) 

OP:

My interests include writing, reading, photography, psychology, painting, poetry, body image in people with EDs and in teens, alternate orthodontics, yoga, weight-lifting. 

Eds? Do you mean Ehler Danlos syndrome? 

• Advanced Member

Do you guys have any unexpected facts to share about yourselves? 

I can start:

When I was 17 years old I studied five languages at the same time and got A's in all of them. 

According to the Islamic calendar I'm born on first of Shawwal (Eid Al Fitr). 

According to the Christian calender I'm born on one of my favourite countries national day. 

Every year I'm the same age as two of my siblings of the same parents, but I'm not twins with any of them :)

Edited by Carlzone
  • Veteran Member
On 9/1/2018 at 1:06 PM, Carlzone said:

Salam aleykom, 

I'm curious as to what you guys like doing on your spare time? Do you have any hobbies or interests? Please share! 

Personally my biggest interest is travelling. I'm the adventure seeking type. I like cool experiences. For instance, next time I go to Iceland I will take an excursion where I will be taken down inside an inactive volcano to walk around and behold it from the inside. I would also take an excursion to watch the aurora there. I love watching and being in beautiful nature. There's such peace and beauty in that. I'd like to bungy jump and jump out of an air plane and ride a balloonflight. I'd like to ride an elephant (have only read camels and horses) and experience the Amazon forest. A big interest is visiting holy places, both Islamic and those of other faiths like Christianity and Judaism. I'd like to see Masjid Al Aqsa. But unfortunately I found out that I might not be able to enter Iraq if go to Israel and they see that in my passport. 

Interior design is another big interest - I love making my home beautiful, harmonious and cosy. 

I like hanging out with family and friends and also watching comedies in the movies or comedy clubs. 

I like reading, swimming, Feldenkrais, and yoga. 

So what do you guys like? One gets a more accurate view of others when one knows their interests. So please share! :)

military history geek

esp cold war , WW1 and 19th century wars

model aircraft and ship building 

tree hugger , biking hiking and tubing in the forest in summer months 

• Veteran Member
47 minutes ago, alidu78 said:

I am very interested about history and geographics. I could litteraly read during hours without interruption about history of practically every people and civilization. Also I am a student of geopolitics so I like a lot to study such topics. I like also read about religions and ethnology.i like also watching movies and in a less extent TV series. 

very cool !

we are all prisoners of geography

do you like the old tv series from 80s / esp british ones ? sci fi one ?

do you like "caspian report" youtue channel ? they are pretty good in geopolicitics 

Edited by Panzerwaffe
  • Advanced Member
1 minute ago, Panzerwaffe said:

military history geek

esp cold war , WW1 and 19th century wars

model aircraft and ship building 

tree hugger , biking hiking and tubing in the forest in summer months 

Interesting, SubhanAllah we are all so different! :)