Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Natsu

What is your biggest fear?

Rate this topic

Going to a public bathroom in countries like Iraq. There's basically a hole in the ground, no toilet paper, no soap. Absolutely horrendous. 

When going on a whole day's trip to Samarra in may, i did not go to the bathroom even once. I went in, saw, or rather smelled, the conditions, almost threw up and left. God forbid the day that I have to use a public bathroom there. :cry:

Edited by Carlzone

Assalamualaikum, right now for me, it's the MRI machine! I need to have an MRI done, and I tried to do it yesterday morning and I just couldn't.. I got in half way and then panicked BIG TIME and they pulled me back out... After calming down and breathing for a few mins, I thought I might be okay and give it one more shot , but when  they put that box thing on my head and put earplugs in my ears and shoved me in there,  OMG IT WAS SO SMALL, TIGHT AND SCARY:( !!!! I COULDNT MOVE!!!

I was reciting all the surahs i know  and salawat, but  I hyperventilated when it began to heat up in there and I just freaked out and they pulled me out and I was in tears and I was crying for the next 30 to 45 minutes:(  It was a very horrible horrible experience and all I could think of was if I cant handle THIS, how am I supposed to handle the squeezing of the grave where there WONT be a nice doctor ready to pull me out at a moment's notice when I panic?! It was like being shoved in a culvert pipe, if you know what those are like, the small ones that run under peoples driveways...

Anyway, later tonight, they are going to give me some anti-anxiety meds, but nowhere NEAR as much as I need. 1Mg of xanax barely puts me to sleep when im not stressed, i dont know what they expect that to do for me...it's so terrifying &the loud noises and not being able to move!!!! I have to be in there for AN HOUR...And i could barely handle less than 5 mins:( i feel like a big baby:( Rationally, i know theres nothing to be worried about, but this...this...i dont know what it is, just wells up inside me and i freak:(

Anyone have any advice?

Maybe   @notme, since you went through trainings of differet types?

Maybe @hasanhh

Anyone???

W/s

Edited by shia farm girl
Forgot something

10 minutes ago, shia farm girl said:

Claustrophobia is pretty common. I'm sorry, I don't have any suggestions, but the anxiety meds should help, along with just knowing that you have to do it so you may as well get it over with. Try reciting tasbih of Fatima Zahra. I'll remember you in my duas. 

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:33 AM, Carlzone said:

Going to a public bathroom in countries like Iraq. There's basically a hole in the ground, no toilet paper, no soap. Absolutely horrendous. 

When going on a whole day's trip to Samarra in may, i did not go to the bathroom even once. I went in, saw, or rather smelled, the conditions, almost threw up and left. God forbid the day that I have to use a public bathroom there. :cry:

Asia is not much better in a lot of places.

ln the 90s, the Afrikan country ______, decided it rally needed to build public bathrooms you didn't "need to slosh through". l asked someone who went there and they said yes it was like that.

Maybe the UN should create some kind of Public Sanitation award to promote public health.

18 minutes ago, shia farm girl said:

Anyone have any advice?

Maybe @hasanhh

l use to have no problems with an MRI. Yet l read that with the new masks to "enhance readings" people were getting upset. So even though l knew this when l next had one the radiologist came over with the mask and placed it -everything OK- then clack and l immediately sat up taking the fixture with me. Poor radiologist, it scared her. She said of all the negative reactions she had been having with these masks mine was unique.

Because of this, l read over a decade ago that an MRI where you sit up and the machine rotates around you like the old Panerex's did. People didn't react to these.  lt is not a closed but an open experience like a phone booth. Try to find one of these. Pictures l am sure will be on the lnternet.

Also, digital radiology is well developed and is comparable to MRIs and are a whole lot cheaper. MRls are a 1970s technology. An option?

When l told my physician the above story he also told me about anti-anxiety doses.

Salaam @hasanhh,thanks for your reply:)

Im hospitalized at the moment and the hospital im at doesnt have the one you mentioned, unfortunately. They have me on a few different meds right now, one of them being prednisone.

I checked WebMD for interactions between the prednisone and the xanax  and it says the prednisone decreases the level or effect of the xanax by altering drug metabolism, so now im thinking the anti anxiety med may not do much at all, evn less than what i would expect:/

I think i will draw this to their attention and ask for 2 miligrams.

Man, i wish they had the other MRI machine you suggested...Oh well, in sha Allah kheyr.

W/s

Salam aleykom sis, @shia farm girl

There is treatment for claustrophobia. Some of my friends have given their patients this treatment. 

The thing is you need to make a hierarchy of different claustrophobic situations. Let's say riding the subway gives you 50/100 level of anxiety while the MRI gives you 95/100 level of anxiety and that riding the buss gives you 20/100 in anxiety. These numbers are called SUDS (subjective units of distress) and will InshaAllah change for the better with treatment. 

Then you need to start at a simple level, like riding the bus, many many times till you feel more ok with it. You need to make sure you are present physically and mentally in the situation (no use of mental distraction or safety behaviours). Then move on to the next level of difficulty (ride the subway) and work yourself up in the hierarchy until you can be in the MRI.

This is difficult in your current situation. But when you get out of the hospital seek professional help. The treatment is very simple. 

To get through your current situation, ask someone to hold your hand while you're in the MRI if that is possible. It might help. Physical touch decreases the stress response. 

May Allah SWT heal you and give you back your health InshaAllah! Take good care of yourself, sis! You're in my prayers! ♡♡♡

Edited by Carlzone

On 9/26/2018 at 5:45 AM, hasanhh said:

Was it "my electric company" ?

Bang, bang, bang, . . . ding . . . dong . . . ding . dong . . .  bang, bang, bang, bang

ls my door going to split ?

l get to the door. Opening it to the dead block . . . "Yes ?"

"Electric Company . . . we are changing meters and your power will go out for about 30 seconds."

"O.K. Thanks."

Close the door and re-set the brace.

Peering out the door window all l can see are two SUV's on my street.

l can't read the sides.

"Those look like police cars" l think to myself.

"Wait a minute" , l say to myself, "weren't the meters 'changed' a couple of years ago?" (Yes, they were l remembered later.)

Go to a window and peer out. "Yes...those are police cars!" And l see two people walking towards the one in front.

One in uniform and one in brown overalls.

QUICK . . .:scarerun:  Check the closet . . . 458 Elephant Gun and additional material.

To my fall-back position  :scarerun:  Batteries charged, wiring connectable, . . .

Back to the window. :scarerun:  The cars are moving. Any sign of bulldozers or armored vehicles?

l hear a truck and a car alarm.  Are the neighbors being warned?

Power goes out.  Look at the phone . . . ready light is out. No calling for fire-support now.  :helpsos:

:keeporder:"Wait . . . Look . . . Listen "

After 45 minutes . . . nothing.

Re-set clocks and all.

l'm getting too old for these intimidation tactics.

I was never entertained by Bourne Legacy more than your story.

As salaamun aleikum sister @Carlzone 

Thank you for your suggestion:) Its definetly something i should do because i have no idea what other situations life will throw at me. Better to set myself up for success in the future than to forego working on this phobia and find myself in a similar situation down the road:/

My MRI was put off til after midnight some time tonight, so i have at least an hour more to go. Ive been blessed with a nurse who spent many years working in a hospital in a muslim country before comimg to U.S., but i also have a Ethiopian sister who is my  nurses assistant:) Couldnt have asked to be taken care of by better,alhamdulilah:)

It is all rizq from Allahسُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى

Thank you for remembering me in your duas:)

W/s