Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Follower of Ahlulbayt

A crucial overlooked Hadith

Rate this topic

There is a Hadith which we don't mention enough, although it is a very nice historical proof.

حَدَّثَنَا عَمْرُو بْنُ زُرَارَةَ، أَخْبَرَنَا إِسْمَاعِيلُ، عَنِ ابْنِ عَوْنٍ، عَنْ إِبْرَاهِيمَ، عَنِ الأَسْوَدِ، قَالَ ذَكَرُوا عِنْدَ عَائِشَةَ أَنَّ عَلِيًّا ـ رضى الله عنهما ـ كَانَ وَصِيًّا‏.‏ فَقَالَتْ مَتَى أَوْصَى إِلَيْهِ وَقَدْ كُنْتُ مُسْنِدَتَهُ إِلَى صَدْرِي ـ أَوْ قَالَتْ حَجْرِي ـ فَدَعَا بِالطَّسْتِ، فَلَقَدِ انْخَنَثَ فِي حَجْرِي، فَمَا شَعَرْتُ أَنَّهُ قَدْ مَاتَ، فَمَتَى أَوْصَى إِلَيْهِ

Narrated Al-Aswad:

In the presence of `Aisha some people mentioned that the Prophet (ﷺ) had appointed `Ali by will as his successor. `Aisha said, "When did he appoint him by will? Verily when he died he was resting against my chest (or said: in my lap) and he asked for a wash-basin and then collapsed while in that state, and I could not even perceive that he had died, so when did he appoint him by will?" (https://sunnah.com/bukhari/55/4)

It was well-known in the early years of Islam that Imam Ali (as) was the successor of the Prophet (saw). Some object and argue that this was Abdullah b. Saba' or his followers that said this to 'Aisha. However the reality is that there is actually not one single authentic Hadith in Sunni or Shia books that asserts that Abdullah b. Saba' believed that Imam Ali (as) was the successor.