Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
hasanhh

What is your Favorite Dinosaur ?

On 8/25/2018 at 8:46 PM, dragonxx said:

Pterodactyl

Pterodactyls are not dinosaurs. Sorry to burst that bubble.

Dinosaurs are by definition, terrestrial. Things like pterosaurs and pleisiosaurs are just flying and swimming reptiles that just happened to live in the mesozoic, but are more distantly related.

Edited by iCambrian

8 minutes ago, iCambrian said:

Pterodactyls are not dinosaurs. Sorry to burst that bubble.

Dinosaurs are by definition, terrestrial. Things like pterosaurs and pleisiosaurs are just flying and swimming reptiles that just happened to live in the mesozoic, but are more distantly related.

WHAT

way to ruin my childhood.

But wouldn't dinosaurs fall under the reptiles as well? Or is it because they're terrestrial that they are labelled dinosaurs?

58 minutes ago, dragonxx said:

WHAT

But wouldn't dinosaurs fall under the reptiles as well? Or is it because they're terrestrial that they are labelled dinosaurs?

Dinosaurs might have been warm-blooded. So not reptiles either. They're dinosaurs.

Edited by LeftCoastMom

1 hour ago, dragonxx said:

WHAT

Well dinosaurs are a sub group of reptiles. Kind of like a chicken is a sub group of birds.

But there are just other reptiles that are not dinosaurs, just as there are other birds that aren't chickens.

Dinosaurs are terrestrial. Their legs are below their body, as opposed to being off to the side like alligators and crocodiles. Dinosaurs also have specific features about their skulls and hips.

And for LCM, even if a dinosaur were warm blooded, it would still be a reptile. It would just be a derived reptile that has warm blood. 

Which, in a weird sense is kind of what mammals are. But a dinosaur wouldn't be a mammal just because it's of a reptile clade.

Edited by iCambrian

7 minutes ago, iCambrian said:

Well dinosaurs are a sub group of reptiles. Kind of like a chicken is a sub group of birds.

But there are just other reptiles that are not dinosaurs, just as there are other birds that aren't chickens.

Dinosaurs are terrestrial. Their legs are below their body, as opposed to being off to the side like alligators and crocodiles. Dinosaurs also have specific features about their skulls and hips.

And for LCM, even if a dinosaur were warm blooded, it would still be a reptile. It would just be a derived reptile that has warm blood. 

Which, in a weird sense is kind of what mammals are. But a dinosaur wouldn't be a mammal just because it's of a reptile clade.

Last debate between paleontologists I attended many years ago, they were arguing against classifying dinosaurs as reptiles and saying they were in a group by themselves. I admit I never  bothered to find out how that was settled,if it was. 

31 minutes ago, LeftCoastMom said:

Last debate between paleontologists I attended many years ago, they were arguing against classifying dinosaurs as reptiles and saying they were in a group by themselves. I admit I never  bothered to find out how that was settled,if it was. 

thats interesting

I still have questions about...the cladistical origins of theropods vs sauropods. because the early theropods kind of look like sauropods, but then the sauropods have bird hips, even though its the theropods that became birds. Its always kind of confused me.

^ lol. You would have to have that conversation with one of my sons who was a dinosaur nut. The reason I was at the debate was because of that kid. He was too young to drive or take the bus that far by himself.  I myself liked them normally as any child would when I was young, but he was a fanatic. By the time he was three he could name a lot of them. By the time he was eight he and a couple of other kids  had finagled a sort of audience with a couple of paleos and he has a signed drawing by one of them that I had framed. 

The great takeaway was that he realized his beloved dinosaurs still lived on in his pet chickens.

1 hour ago, hasanhh said:

Of course if they are not all reptiles, then by default they cannot be dinosaurs (terrible lizards).

Meerkats are not cats, and a mongoose is definitely not a goose. I think they can keep the name. 

3 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

^ lol. You would have to have that conversation with one of my sons who was a dinosaur nut. The reason I was at the debate was because of that kid. He was too young to drive or take the bus that far by himself.  I myself liked them normally as any child would when I was young, but he was a fanatic. By the time he was three he could name a lot of them. By the time he was eight he and a couple of other kids  had finagled a sort of audience with a couple of paleos and he has a signed drawing by one of them that I had framed. 

The great takeaway was that he realized his beloved dinosaurs still lived on in his pet chickens.

I worked at a natural history museum for awhile and there were days where if just get schooled by first graders, it was wild.  Never underestimate the little ones. 

11 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

Dinosaurs might have been warm-blooded. So not reptiles either. They're dinosaurs.

2nd quotation:

Then there are therapsids --something we didn't have in school..

10 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

But Homo Sapiens often aren't very wise, so......

...to complete your sentence, Man is an evolutionary dead-end.

11 hours ago, dragonxx said:

WHAT

As a trivia, even in 50s grade school, the kids would ask why archaeopteryx had feathers instead of lizard skin.

8 hours ago, hasanhh said:

...to complete your sentence, Man is an evolutionary dead-end.

Nah, man, maybe if you only consider biological evolution, but our descendant AI will live long after us. AI is much more suited for interstellar colonization, periods of lack of energy requiring extended hibernation, harsh conditions, adaptation. Maybe they'll even keep our biological descendants as pets. 

Dinosaurs most definitively existed. Not during Noah’s ark though. There’s fossils and modern day lizards and chickens are descendent. Plus the Quran mentions when the earth was mostly molten iron and hot it was molded... shaped. Guess whose job it was to do that? That’s right the giant, heavy dinosaurs and then they died lol they served their purpose 

20 hours ago, Ralvi said:

Dinosaurs most definitively existed. Not during Noah’s ark though. There’s fossils and modern day lizards and chickens are descendent. Plus the Quran mentions when the earth was mostly molten iron and hot it was molded... shaped. Guess whose job it was to do that? That’s right the giant, heavy dinosaurs and then they died lol they served their purpose 

Yet these so called "bones" were only "discovered" all of a sudden only around 150 years ago! Oh and these "bones" have lasted millions of years according to the "experts"!

16 minutes ago, Tany said:

Yet these so called "bones" were only "discovered" all of a sudden only around 150 years ago! Oh and these "bones" have lasted millions of years according to the "experts"!

Good Question.

1] lt was after the Enlightenment of the 18th Century that Science called 'Natural Philosophy' took off.

2] Before this, the Church destroyed anything they couldn't explain, plus superstitions about bones abounded everywhere.

3] Leonardo Da'Vinci when he heard someone explain sea shells on mountain tops as a result of Noah's Flood, Da'Vinci asked, "Then how were they embedded in rock."