monwan

Authenticity of the Chain of Narrators

Rate this topic

Salam, brothers and sisters!

I had this question in my mind for a while and it would not let me sleep, so i decided to share it with you. Hopefully, someone can either answer it perfectly or at least point me in the right direction. :D

I am aware of the methodology used to authenticate the hadeeths, i.e. through Ilm e rijal. My question is: What if the chain of narrators itself is forged? Meaning that is it possible that the chain of narrators are wrongfully put into a hadeeths isnad to make it seem valid for the people who will then study the chain and realize that the narrators are fine and the hadeeth is sahi, but they wont knoe that the chain itself is not right.

Cannot seem to wrap my mind around it.

Any Thoughts/Opinions/Facts Based Reasoning? 

Wassalam!

May Allah bless you and the blessings of the Ahlulbayt(a.s) follow with it!

Jazak Allah, khair! :)

Wa alaykum assalam,

1. If a narrator is trustworthy, the chain that he reports would probably be trustworthy as well. If he is a liar, then it is possible that the chain is fabricated.

2. Many hadiths have multiple chains, some end up in Qum and others in Baghdad, etc. so if two divergent chains go back to the same narrator, then it is likely that the hadith can be correctly attributed to the narrator.

3. Certain narrators were known for reciting certain genres of hadith. So an expert in hadith can generally recognize differences in content based on who is narrating. Zurara's hadiths are not the same as Abu Baseer's, whose hadiths are not the same as Hisham b. al-Hakam's, etc.

4. The writing of the 300 usul means that there was relatively little time between the oral transmission of a hadith and its writing. Much of the hadiths of as-Sadiq were already written by the time of al-Hadi. Some of these books were approved directly by the later Imams.

5. There can still always be discrepancies, so it's important to compare the content of hadith with the Quran and other strong hadiths.

2 hours ago, monwan said:

What if the chain of narrators itself is forged? Meaning that is it possible that the chain of narrators are wrongfully put into a hadeeths isnad to make it seem valid for the people who will then study the chain and realize that the narrators are fine and the hadeeth is sahi, but they wont knoe that the chain itself is not right.

It happens. If it happens and you figure it out, then obviously you discard the tradition. However, if you can't figure it out, then you have binding force (hujjah) on the day of judgement if you act upon it.

Wasalam

1 hour ago, Ibn al-Hussain said:

It happens. If it happens and you figure it out, then obviously you discard the tradition. However, if you can't figure it out, then you have binding force (hujjah) on the day of judgement if you act upon it.

Wasalam

Yeah, Indeed! :)