Rate this topic

39 minutes ago, Sumerian said:

Music that is suitable for entertainment gatherings is haram. That's what Sistani says. 

But if you don't attend such gatherings how do you know? 

Obviously pop music, hard rock etc is haram, but there are other types of music that are not easy to classify. I have a hard time of knowing if it is haram or halal to listen to. I have avoided all of it, but now I feel like I want to understand which ones are halal and which ones are haram.

43 minutes ago, Carlzone said:

Doesn't anyone know how one can differentiate between halal and haram music in an easier way?

No, not even our highest scholars. Probably it's safest to just err on the side of caution. 

Just now, notme said:

No, not even our highest scholars. Probably it's safest to just err on the side of caution. 

But thats like basically not listening to anything (like me right now) because you can never be sure if that music is played in haram gatherings as you don't attend such gatherings yourself? That seems so harsh. 

Let's say I believe a piece of music probably isn't played in such garherings. Is it haram for me to listen to it? 

If it on judgement day turns out it was played in such gatherings without my knowledge - will God punish me for it then? Even though I didnt know and didnt believe that was the case?

As far as I know, according to Sayyid Sistani, classical music without lyrics is halal, and also folk music that does not have bad meaning and military marches without bad meaning. You just have to study your marja's rulings on music, then do what you feel safe doing. 

11 minutes ago, notme said:

As far as I know, according to Sayyid Sistani, classical music without lyrics is halal, and also folk music that does not have bad meaning and military marches without bad meaning. You just have to study your marja's rulings on music, then do what you feel safe doing. 

What is folk Music? Do you have any examples of it? 

I have already and still find this issue difficult to interpret in reality.

15 hours ago, Carlzone said:

What is folk Music? Do you have any examples of it? 

I have already and still find this issue difficult to interpret in reality.

Turkey in the Straw would be an example of American folk music. Children's songs like Twinkle Twinkle Little Star are also usually considered folk music. Each culture has their own. 

Note: links contain music. Only open if this music is halal for you. 

15 hours ago, notme said:

Turkey in the Straw would be an example of American folk music. Children's songs like Twinkle Twinkle Little Star are also usually considered folk music. Each culture has their own. 

Note: links contain music. Only open if this music is halal for you. 

Ok, folk music doesn't seem to be my cup of tea :hahaha:

19 minutes ago, Carlzone said:

Ok, folk music doesn't seem to be my cup of tea :hahaha:

Or at least not this particular American folk music. Like I said, each culture has their own. Being from Appalachia in the United States, this was the first that came to my mind. This is the stuff they play at street fairs and community festivals in my culture. 

It's a lovely video. The nature videos are a good choice by the video maker. The music is sort of classical sounding, but modern. It certainly wouldn't be played in places of lewd entertainment. It seems ok to me, but if others are feeling that it leads them astray they can watch with sound off. 

19 minutes ago, notme said:

It's a lovely video. The nature videos are a good choice by the video maker. The music is sort of classical sounding, but modern. It certainly wouldn't be played in places of lewd entertainment. It seems ok to me, but if others are feeling that it leads them astray they can watch with sound off. 

Yes, it is indeed. I love everything about it. 

I recommend reading the chapter on music from the work Greater Sins (which I highly recommend as a whole for getting closer to Allah swt):

https://www.al-islam.org/greater-sins-volume-1-ayatullah-sayyid-abdul-husayn-dastghaib-shirazi/fifteenth-greater-sin-music

I would suggest that when in doubt, take precautions. We do this with our health and wealth. Surely we should be doing it with our religion as well? Why risk it for trivial worldy pleasures?

Wallahu a'lam

8 hours ago, Mahdavist said:

I recommend reading the chapter on music from the work Greater Sins (which I highly recommend as a whole for getting closer to Allah swt):

https://www.al-islam.org/greater-sins-volume-1-ayatullah-sayyid-abdul-husayn-dastghaib-shirazi/fifteenth-greater-sin-music

I would suggest that when in doubt, take precautions. We do this with our health and wealth. Surely we should be doing it with our religion as well? Why risk it for trivial worldy pleasures?

Wallahu a'lam

Thank you for your help!

But this is Sayyid Shirazi, right? I follow Sayyid Sistani. 

2 hours ago, Carlzone said:

Thank you for your help!

But this is Sayyid Shirazi, right? I follow Sayyid Sistani. 

It isnt a risalah al amaliyyah, and it isnt Sayyed al shirazi. Its a book that discusses the greater sins with references to the Quran and the narrations of the Ahlulbayt (as) 

1 minute ago, Mahdavist said:

It isnt a risalah al amaliyyah, and it isnt Sayyed al shirazi. Its a book that discusses the greater sins with references to the Quran and the narrations of the Ahlulbayt (as) 

But is the content in it right when it comes to the issue of music according to Sayyid Sistani?

Just now, Carlzone said:

But is the content in it right when it comes to the issue of music according to Sayyid Sistani?

The content is the quran and the hadith. I expect that sayed sistanis position is consistent with this.

Wallahu a'lam

2 minutes ago, Mahdavist said:

The content is the quran and the hadith. I expect that sayed sistanis position is consistent with this.

Wallahu a'lam

Well we don't know how reliable those particular hadiths are and if Sayyid Sistani has taken other aspects into consideration. 

1 minute ago, Carlzone said:

Well we don't know how reliable those particular hadiths are and if Sayyid Sistani has taken other aspects into consideration. 

When you have several narrations giving the same message and cited by a reliable scholar, you can expect that the message at least is quite reliable.

Wallahu a'lam 

1 minute ago, Mahdavist said:

When you have several narrations giving the same message and cited by a reliable scholar, you can expect that the message at least is quite reliable.

Wallahu a'lam 

Well that sounds reasonable but as Sayyid Sistani is the man, he calls the shots.