Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
ShiaMan14

No amount of Alcohol is good for you, says major study

The overall conclusion of the study. Most important in bold:

Alcohol use is a leading risk factor for disease burden worldwide, accounting for nearly 10% of global deaths among populations aged 15–49 years, and poses dire ramifications for future population health in the absence of policy action today. The widely held view of the health benefits of alcohol needs revising, particularly as improved methods and analyses continue to show how much alcohol use contributes to global death and disability. Our results show that the safest level of drinking is none. This level is in conflict with most health guidelines, which espouse health benefits associated with consuming up to two drinks per day. Alcohol use contributes to health loss from many causes and exacts its toll across the lifespan, particularly among men. Policies that focus on reducing population-level consumption will be most effective in reducing the health loss from alcohol use.

Other studies show small amounts of red-wine is good for the stomach. Maybe, as saying this only confirms 1 Timothy 5:23 for the chris!ians.

Beer has different enzymes one of which was used to treat heart condition --before post-1950s medicine.

But we do not need the wines and strong stuff.

ADDED: l saw part of this report on TV which talked mostly about "weight gain" and only passingly mentioned 'loss of inhibitions'.

Edited by hasanhh

32 minutes ago, ShiaMan14 said:

Those that try to create competition between Islam and science - there is no competition. Science is 1,400 years behind Islam....as this study shows.

l disagree because you are pronouncing an ordinance-by-revelation as preceding an advancement in science. Ayats 5:90-91 refer to incitement while Ayat 2:219 reveals both "sin" and "benefit" with the sin larger than any benefit. So by contextual inference, you contradicted Quran.

13 hours ago, ShiaMan14 said:

No amount of alcohol is good for your overall health, global study says

If you're one of the third of all humankind who drinks alcohol, take note: There's no amount of liquor, wine or beer that is safe for your overall health, according to a new analysis of 2016 global alcohol consumption and disease risk.  

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/23/health/global-alcohol-study/index.html

Researchers have found the safest level of alcohol is NONE. A quote from theguardian.com article:

Even the occasional drink is harmful to health, according to the largest and most detailed research carried out on the effects of alcohol, which suggests governments should think of advising people to abstain completely.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/aug/23/no-healthy-level-of-alcohol-consumption-says-major-study

5 hours ago, hasanhh said:

l disagree because you are pronouncing an ordinance-by-revelation as preceding an advancement in science. Ayats 5:90-91 refer to incitement while Ayat 2:219 reveals both "sin" and "benefit" with the sin larger than any benefit. So by contextual inference, you contradicted Quran.

The data says alcohol is bad for you. Quran said 1,400 years ago that all intoxicant are bad for you.

Neither the article nor the Quran say to avoid it even for medicinal purposes...hence the sin outweighs the benefit. 

Read the article first brother.

2 hours ago, Zulfiqar1472 said:

My only worry is that if tomorrow another counter research is made public which shows benefits of alcohol. 

That won't happen, esp. considering this study apparently underestimates significantly the harmful effects of alcohol (as stated in the study).

People have been consuming alcohol as long as they've been farming and the species lives on. Sure, it has negative effects, but people survive, reproduce, and have normal lifespans.

Probably it has some beneficial medicinal uses, (the Quran mentions alcohol having some benefit) but like all drugs is harmful when misused. 

6 hours ago, ShiaMan14 said:

Read the article first brother

l did. My comment criticized your post.

To Explain:

Ayat 2:219  The trilateral root of the nouns wamanafiu and nafihima is nun fa ayn. Which translates as "benefit". To wit:  "...and (some) benefit" followed by "benefit of (the) two".  This ayat reveals that the sin is greater than any benefit. You wrote: Quran says all intoxicants are bad --which is not correct, or why will Allah-s.w.t. reveal in the words of "nun fa ayn" ?

Edited by hasanhh
To Explain:

42 minutes ago, notme said:

People have been consuming alcohol as long as they've been farming and the species lives on. Sure, it has negative effects, but people survive, reproduce, and have normal lifespans.

Probably it has some beneficial medicinal uses, (the Quran mentions alcohol having some benefit) but like all drugs is harmful when misused. 

Plus, before public water purification, water was deadly.

44 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

l did. My comment criticized your post.

To Explain:

Ayat 2:219  The trilateral root of the nouns wamanafiu and nafihima is nun fa ayn. Which translates as "benefit". To wit:  "...and (some) benefit" followed by "benefit of (the) two".  This ayat reveals that the sin is greater than any benefit. You wrote: Quran says all intoxicants are bad --which is not correct, or why will Allah-s.w.t. reveal in the words of "nun fa ayn" ?

You are not criticizing me but the Quran:

[Shakir 5:90] O you who believe! intoxicants and games of chance and (sacrificing to) stones set up and (dividing by) arrows are only an uncleanness, the Shaitan's work; shun it therefore that you may be successful

3 hours ago, notme said:

Gotta point this minor detail out, when it comes to alcohol, it's harmful when used, i.e. any alcohol use is misuse as far as this study and the quran are concerned because, as we all know, the harm outweighs the benefit, thus there is a net harm in the end regardless. Saying "when misused" implies there are no significant harmful effects with moderate consumption of alcohol =P

Researchers from the Institute of Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington drew on more than 1,300 studies to accurately assess rate of alcohol consumption and accompanying disease burden in 195 countries between 1990 and 2016.

Their research, described by one peer as “state-of-the-art”, found that drinking was responsible for around 2.8 million deaths in 2016.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/96054/healthy-drinking-in-moderation-is-a-myth-says-new-study

2 hours ago, ShiaMan14 said:

You are not criticizing me but the Quran:

[Shakir 5:90] O you who believe! intoxicants and games of chance and (sacrificing to) stones set up and (dividing by) arrows are only an uncleanness, the Shaitan's work; shun it therefore that you may be successful

l cited 5:90-91 above.  Your use of it now has "uncleanness" which is off-topic here and does not counter my lexicographic post.

You erred, so admit it.

Added: see next post

Edited by hasanhh

1 hour ago, dragonxx said:

the harm outweighs the benefit, thus there is a net harm in the end regardless

Correct. "net harm".  What l am arguing with someone else is: Quran reveals there is an nun fa ayn (some benefit), while others are trying to extrapolate the lsIamic prohibition against alcohol consumption as "all alcohol is bad" revelation and there by adding to the Words of Allah-s.w.t.

Ayats 3:94, 4:50, 6:21, . . .

1 hour ago, hasanhh said:

Correct. "net harm".  What l am arguing with someone else is: Quran reveals there is an nun fa ayn (some benefit), while others are trying to extrapolate the lsIamic prohibition against alcohol consumption as "all alcohol is bad" revelation and there by adding to the Words of Allah-s.w.t.

Ayats 3:94, 4:50, 6:21, . . .

There is a difference between "all bad" and "overall bad" . 

The article and my post are about "overall bad" . 

Use alcohol daily to clean wounds - good. 

Drink nyquil daily - bad.

Secondly and more importantly, the article and I are referring to drinking alcoholic beverages.

It doesn't say ethanol is bad in cars, etc and neither do I.

Too much free time?

Edited by ShiaMan14

10 hours ago, dragonxx said:

Gotta point this minor detail out, when it comes to alcohol, it's harmful when used

As with any drug, there are always side effects, and just like most drugs, sometimes the health benefit to be gained makes the side effects worthwhile. 

The Quran forbids all use of alcoholic beverages for Muslims. That is clear. 

But let's not rule out the possibility that it exists for a reason. There may be medicinal uses. Maybe alcohol consumption wasn't prohibited until the revelation of the Quran because the world needed it until then. (For example as @hasanhh mentioned above, water was unsanitary to drink and killing germs by boiling and filtration of contaminants was unknown until much later.)

5 hours ago, notme said:

But let's not rule out the possibility that it exists for a reason. There may be medicinal uses.

Ohh now I understand your point, thought you were talking in a diff context.

And yup, for example, there are conditions in which a patient must be infused with alcohol in order they don't die.

:salam:

Remember that study claiming no amount of alcohol is safe? Here’s why you shouldn’t worry

In what quickly became the world’s most widely circulated science story, a report last week in the Lancet claimed that “the safest level of drinking is none.” Funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the wide-ranging study criticized government health boards who merely advocate moderate drinking, writing that they should “consider recommendations for abstention.”

It’s sobering stuff, but before you start pursuing Prohibition II, here are some reasons why that Lancet story may not be the final word on happy hour.

The risks of moderate alcohol consumption cited in the Lancet study are incredibly low.

Continue Reading: https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/remember-that-study-claiming-no-amount-of-alcohol-is-safe-heres-why-you-shouldnt-worry

I think this is the most salient part of the article:

After years of steadily climbing upwards, life expectancy in the United States has been dropping in recent years, prompting health researchers to blame the trio of alcohol, suicide and drugs. In 2012 alone, 3.3 million people around the world died due to “harmful” consumption of alcohol, according to the World Health Organization. In Russia, so many men died of alcohol-related causes starting in the 1980s that the country has a recognized demographic of women unable to find husbands. Alcohol abusers get cancer more often, they destroy their organs and they injure themselves more often. In Canada, impaired driving remains the leading cause of criminal death. Roll all of this together and it is an extremely mainstream medical opinion that heavy drinking is always bad.

It is not just the impact on personal health which is a huge topic. Alcohol use leads to impulsive, extremely poor decision making.  It ruins the lives of not just the drinker, but their families and anyone they come across when under the influence.  It only takes one drink to impair judgement. I don't know how you can quantify the impact but I don't think there is any situation where alcohol causes the outcome to be better.

17 minutes ago, forte said:

I don't know how you can quantify the impact but I don't think there is any situation where alcohol causes the outcome to be better.

You know how Alpine rescue dogs carry that little cask of brandy, or at least they used to. More than one life was saved by the temporary warming effect of the strong alcohol buying enough time to bring them into shelter. (Of course, without immediate rescue, it would simply dull their pain while they freeze to death.)

Alcohol is always a neurotoxin. In rare cases the benefit may outweigh the harm. 

3 minutes ago, notme said:

You know how Alpine rescue dogs carry that little cask of brandy, or at least they used to. More than one life was saved by the temporary warming effect of the strong alcohol buying enough time to bring them into shelter. (Of course, without immediate rescue, it would simply dull their pain while they freeze to death.)

Alcohol is always a neurotoxin. In rare cases the benefit may outweigh the harm. 

Good brainstorming! :)

I wonder if it was helpful as alcohol may make you feel warmer,  but alcohol actually lowers the core temperature of your body. 

It also used to be thought to be healthy to serve pregnant women stout (kind of drink) in the UK to "boost their blood" (iron?).

2 hours ago, Ibn al-Hussain said:

:salam:

Remember that study claiming no amount of alcohol is safe? Here’s why you shouldn’t worry

In what quickly became the world’s most widely circulated science story, a report last week in the Lancet claimed that “the safest level of drinking is none.” Funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the wide-ranging study criticized government health boards who merely advocate moderate drinking, writing that they should “consider recommendations for abstention.”

It’s sobering stuff, but before you start pursuing Prohibition II, here are some reasons why that Lancet story may not be the final word on happy hour.

The risks of moderate alcohol consumption cited in the Lancet study are incredibly low.

Continue Reading: https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/remember-that-study-claiming-no-amount-of-alcohol-is-safe-heres-why-you-shouldnt-worry

We knew that there would be a rebuttal to the researchers' recommendation for abstinence from alcohol. Surprised that article came 5 days later, instead of 1 or 2. Maybe the author had a few happy hours before completing it. LOL 

Interesting point:

The richer a society is the more people drink, the greater the quantity consumed and the smaller the “number of abstainers.” And whilst, as the UK shows, there are exceptions, the worldwide tendency is towards increased levels of consumption, with China and India, where the economy has been growing in recent years, energetically joining the party. A trend that WHO believes to be “linked to active marketing by the alcohol industry and increased income in these countries.”

Full article:

https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/09/07/alcohol-why-do-we-drink/

The above article makes sense in terms of social drinking being interpreted a sign of a successful life.  

Sometimes we have to remove the fluff to see what is really going on:

A few years ago, I went to a conference on Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FASD) and learned many things over the course of 3 days.  One of thing (of many) that surprised me was that the highest risk factors for a mother giving birth to a child with FASD were that the mother:  was White, was age 30 or more, was married and living with their spouse, successfully employed and earned in excess of $55,000 a year.

At first, I found this totally confusing as most of the kids I came across in my work who were diagnosed with FASD definitely did not fit in that category - the majority were usually in a low socio-economic group, the younger or youngest of their siblings and whose mother was single, unemployed, and known to have a long history of substance abuse .  

The keynote speakers at this conference were two professional women (a medical doctor and a sociology prof) who had bravely come forward to acknowledge that they had each given birth to two children with FASD - they stated that they at first could not acknowledge that their first born had issues connected to their drinking (as they only drank after work and only bought the best brands).   This was nonsensical even to them but they ignored it as they felt their social status made them impervious, and so had to have yet another child to "knock it home" - pretty much what they said.  

However, their children were not originally diagnosed with FASD by the medical system.  Instead, they each had about 8 - 10 other (more socially acceptable) diagnoses.  But, the symptoms of this cluster of diagnoses were clearly descriptive of the syndrome attributes of FASD .  When the keynote speakers listed these diagnoses, I immediately connected that some of the patients that I was working with (I was working in adolescent psychiatry at the time) had a very similar list of diagnoses.  These patients also had parents who were considered highly successful and professional and who you would not even consider FASD as a working diagnosis as it did not seem possible.

The actual FASD diagnosis of these select patients was effectively hidden (due solely to socio-economic status) and therefore not included in any study of FASD.

The keynote speakers were trying to change that with their own stories of their children, but I still haven't seen any successful movement forward in this area. 

Edited by Maryaam

On 8/23/2018 at 11:24 PM, hasanhh said:

Other studies show small amounts of red-wine is good for the stomach. Maybe, as saying this only confirms 1 Timothy 5:23 for the chris!ians.

Beer has different enzymes one of which was used to treat heart condition --before post-1950s medicine.

But we do not need the wines and strong stuff.

ADDED: l saw part of this report on TV which talked mostly about "weight gain" and only passingly mentioned 'loss of inhibitions'.

Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging. Anyone deceived thereby is not wise. I believe this to be the equivalent of "The sin outweighs the benefits".
The same guy said "Take a little wine for thy stomach's sake"

The problem with the study is that it's based on 2016.

It was probably 15 years ago we cleared out my mother in laws house. In the medicine cabinet was a 4 oz bottle of Jagermeister probably another 20 or more years old already and half gone. 1 tsp for cough or cold.
Fast forward to 2016 Jagermeister sells in 40 oz. bottles, add red bull and it makes jagger bombs.  Wide awake drunks, looking for a seizure. Very popular for the last half dozen years, ignore the warnings.

Many "intoxicants" have beneficial ingredients, but if the plan is to get intoxicated, then any benefits are lost for health to addiction. It's the devil's job to turn cure to cause and it's worked amazingly well in NA. Alcohol is the biggest problem going. Prohibition was the bridge between medical and recreational. Once it was lifted, booze was consumed like water.

Canada has about 3 weeks before cannabis becomes legal for recreational. Here again...Many studies promoting the health benefits, (all the way to curing cancer), will be put aside for recreational use. We are so screwed.