Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
shadow_of_light

Do you lock the doors when you are at home?

Rate this topic

Do you lock the doors when you are at home?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you lock the doors when you are at home?

• Yes
    • No

My kids are all able to unlock the doors.

My oldest son used to wander and was brought home by police several times. We got an alarm system for our house, not to keep burglars out, but to notify us when he went out. 

My youngest son has never gone outside alone, but we have a chime on our doors for just in case. 

9 hours ago, Natsu said:

Dont worry

in a few years,all doors will have passwords 

Passwords are outdated. In a few years doors will open by facial recognition. 

21 minutes ago, notme said:

Hmm I don’t think that’s a good idea because someone can easily break in by showing the picture of the owner 

How about this “SPEEC RECOGNITION” that’ll be hard and more secure

9 minutes ago, eloquence said:

I wanna know about those who don't... where do you live that you don't have to lock your doors 

I'm in a pretty safe area, but probably not as safe as where I spent most of my adult life. I guess maybe it's bad that I never developed the habit. 

But my husband lived in urban areas most of his adult life, so he always goes around locking all the doors at night. None of us ever think of locking the doors while we are home in the daytime. 

^ Small town-ish ,rural left coast community. If you're at home in the summer, you even leave the doors and windows open .... basically leave the windows open all the time in the summer. .You want the ocean breeze to come through because almost no one has any air conditioning around here. So the houses are built to get a good cross-draft with the windows and doors open.

Edited by LeftCoastMom

15 hours ago, notme said:

So, my little nephew is supposed to find and then climb a chair out in the hallway.

Brilliant.

Blank Damned gov't. Non-immigrant crime rate has fallen since the early 90s and they demand more security features.

9 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

Blank Damned gov't

It's not the government. People will buy it for themselves.

I've lived in houses that locked with a skeleton key. Obviously you can just keep your old locks if you want.

Weirdly enough, I lock the door when I am home but when I run to the store, I leave the door unlocked. It's because when I'm inside, I can just turn the lock easily, but if I'm outside the house I have to lock with the key which annoys me. And we only use the side door to go in and out so I tell myself if someone wants to break in they will only try the front door (which is always locked) and be too dumb to try the side door (which is probably open). 

Once, some years ago, when we lived in another building, 2-3 men rang our bell and said that they want to install sensors for the door of the parking. My husband was not at home and I thought that they had already talked withmy husband about it but later I realized that they just randomly rang the bells and offered to install sensors.

I opened the door for them and said: my husband will later give you your wage.

They said: ok. No problem.

At that time, some suites in our building were empty and no family lived in them. Many neighbours were not in the building at that hour. When they finished installing the sensors, they rang again and said: it costs....

I said: ok. Come here and I will give you your wage.

At first I thought that our neighbour who lived in the same story, was at home but when they knocked on their door and she didnt reply I realized that she was not there and that I was alone.

So I felt worried. I took a knife and put it on the sofa.

Then I hid myself behind the door and opened the door so little that I only could pass my hand and give them a bill ( they could only see my hand).

I dont know why I made that stupid decision ( to open the door).

Then the man gave me a receipt book for signing and then put his hand on the door panel so that I couldnt close the door.

I immediately removed his fingers one by one (he didnt want to move his hand) and then I quickly closed the door and locked it.

I dont know how I was able to do it because I am a weak person. I also dont know how I reacted such quickly. I felt that he was not sure if to enter the home or not.

My husband later told me that they probabely wanted to scare me otherwise they could easily kick the door and enter our flat.

The men knocked on the door and asked me while laughing: wont you open the door? We need our receipt book.

I was very frightened. I told them that I would give them their book when my husband arrives.

Edited by shadow_of_light

Fortunately my family in-law lived close to us. I called them and I also called my husband. My mother in-law and my brother in-law arrived but when they arrived the men were not in the staircase. They were in the building but we didnt know where.

My brother in-law took a stick or a rod and hid behind the door. When they knocked on the door again, my mother in-law opened the door. They said while smiling that they need their book and she gave it to them and they left the building.

This incident taught me an important lesson: to never open the door for strangers and even tell lie if necessary (for example, to say: sorry! The door is locked and I dont have keys).

@shadow_of_light  l have door blocks. For one door l have two boards. One spans two columns so it cannot be pushed backwards. The second board abuts that board and is chained to the door under the bolt. Think of an angle. lt is easier to break the door apart than it is to force it open.

Last Winter l was looking out the front door window and noticed the lock had been turned from the outside and the door was not tightly fitted.

Somebody was disappointed.

15 minutes ago, shadow_of_light said:

@Hameedeh

Can you please remove this topic from polls lists?

It didnt aim to be a poll and i really dont know how it changed to a poll.

Sister, Admins discussed making your topic a poll. From the number of people who voted (73), members were very much interested in your thread. The majority of them agreed with you to keep the door locked. Please send me a PM if you want to discuss further. 

28 minutes ago, Zulfiqar1472 said:

Funny side is that admins are looking at this and keep track of the lpcation who lock the door or not. 

IPcan tell you the exact location of the house in some cases

This is a myth. My own IP address says I live in Durham, North Carolina, which is only the location of my Internet provider. Nobody knows what city I live in and it's impossible to know what street I live on. 

2 hours ago, Hameedeh said:

This is a myth. My own IP address says I live in Durham, North Carolina, which is only the location of my Internet provider. Nobody knows what city I live in and it's impossible to know what street I live on. 

Jokes aside you can be detected until your are using VPN and VPN is from Russia. Kharosho :)(Russian good). the internet providers have your IP so as location. Google Scans wifi form home using their geo coding cars and they use it for geo coding houses; geo accurate than GPS. :discussion: . But in any case lock my doors

11 hours ago, Hameedeh said:

the sites that show location Ip Address ,must just show provider location to public but with higher access like as a hacker people can find exact location ,definitely gov authorities can locate exact  Address by IP address even without GPS.