Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

The Babadook (movie)

Rate this topic

I saw this on Netflix with my husband today. One of my new favorite psychological horror movies. I believe it’s right up there with Rosemary’s Baby, almost. I loved the symbolism and the references to old movies, magic tricks, and how the mother, Amelia, descends into insanity, and about abusive mother-son relationships as a result of extreme stress (and grief and resentment) and sleep deprivation. No nonsensical jump-scares, no plotless storyline, or dumb gore. Everything is complex and has meaning and depth. Even the scene where she is with her long dress in the bathtub, and she gets up, you can see in some angles the dress drenched in water is black, and when she moves, it’s deep red. I have my own theories about this, such as: 1. Another illusion to the possible ending, and 2. The darkness that clothes her. Black, red, and white are the main colors within this movie that are repeated again and again deliberately. 

I’m not going to give away the plot, or story, but if anyone’s seen it, what’s your take on the ending (people seem to interpret it in two majorly different ways) and why you believe it to be the case? 

@Wholehearted Shi'a:

have you seen the movie? If so, what do you think the real ending was? Was it even real?