Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Spirit breathed into mankind?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salam aleykom, 

I just came across this:

"This creation was at the peak of innovation as it became—after being made completely and the spirit breathed3 into him—an exceptional creation of all beings. The greatness of His creation becomes apparent from the Word of the Exalted:

Then We caused it to grow into another creation, so blessed be Allah, the best of the creators.4"

What does it mean that the spirit was breathed into him? Our soul/roh or God's spirit?

• Forum Administrators

Did you read the footnotes?

3. Holy Qur’an, 15:29  So when I have made him complete and breathed into him of My spirit, fall down making obeisance to him.

4. Holy Qur’an, 23:14.

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, Hameedeh said:

Did you read the footnotes?

3. Holy Qur’an, 15:29  So when I have made him complete and breathed into him of My spirit, fall down making obeisance to him.

4. Holy Qur’an, 23:14.

I recall reading this before and was in fact my main question. What does it mean that God breathed into us his spirit? I don't really understand this?  

• Advanced Member
On 8/20/2018 at 2:31 AM, Carlzone said:

I recall reading this before and was in fact my main question. What does it mean that God breathed into us his spirit? I don't really understand this?  

Salam,

It means that He is closer to us than our very self (nafs) or (nafas or breath).  Each breath that we take in and out is like a wave that rises from and subsides in none other than the Infinitude of the Divine Ocean or of the Air. 

• Advanced Member
15 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

Salam,

It means that He is closer to us than our very self (nafs) or (nafas or breath).  Each breath that we take in and out is like a wave that rises from and subsides in none other than the Infinitude of the Divine Ocean or of the Air.     

Wa aleykom alsalam, 

But I don't understand what this means in reality? Obviously God is not inside of us astaghforullah. 

• Advanced Member
15 hours ago, Carlzone said:

Wa aleykom alsalam, 

But I don't understand what this means in reality? Obviously God is not inside of us astaghforullah. 

Look up "breath" meditation online or on youtube.  I just did a quick search on youtube and found this.  It is pretty good if you can follow it through.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67SeR3LxtdI

Actually, do the entire meditation and you will 

Get a better grasp of what I am trying to say.  I will explain it more if you do that.   This would also be a good thing to do before or after every prayer we perform.  And while doing this just call to mind the verse you are reading but don't think about it too much just know that there is something very sacred about our breath.  

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

Look up "breath" meditation online or on youtube.  I just did a quick search on youtube and found this.  It is pretty good if you can follow it through.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67SeR3LxtdI

Actually, do the entire meditation and you will 

Get a better grasp of what I am trying to say.  I will explain it more if you do that.   This would also be a good thing to do before or after every prayer we perform.  And while doing this just call to mind the verse you are reading but don't think about it too much just know that there is something very sacred about our breath.  

Bro, I used to be an expert on meditation. I used to meditate 30-60 minutes every day for over a year and had some pretty cool experiences like feeling as if time has stopped and like being one with everything around me, like there were no borders between me and others. Might sound strange but it was really cool. Took time to achieve though. 

But here I'm asking a theoretical question. I want to understand what this "breathed his spirit into us" means? I have a hard time understanding what this stands for. It sounds as if we have something divine in us but I'm afraid that that would be considered shirk? So what does it mean?

• Advanced Member
14 hours ago, Carlzone said:

Bro, I used to be an expert on meditation. I used to meditate 30-60 minutes every day for over a year and had some pretty cool experiences like feeling as if time has stopped and like being one with everything around me, like there were no borders between me and others. Might sound strange but it was really cool. Took time to achieve though. 

But here I'm asking a theoretical question. I want to understand what this "breathed his spirit into us" means? I have a hard time understanding what this stands for. It sounds as if we have something divine in us but I'm afraid that that would be considered shirk? So what does it mean?

awesome.

why were you practicing meditation?  was it because of a particular religious affiliation you had?  

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, eThErEaL said:

awesome.

why were you practicing meditation?  was it because of a particular religious affiliation you had?  

Because I like/d spirituality. I like cool experiences and have had extraordinary experiences since childhood. It runs on both sides of my family. 

I was and still strive to be Shia. 

I have done studies in a field that promotes meditation/mindfulness, relaxation etc.

So what can you tell me about the theoretical answer to my question?

• Veteran Member
2 hours ago, Carlzone said:

Wa aleykom alsalam, 

its God's spirit, in the same way it is his religion, his house, his prophet etc.

it is not God, but he owns it and created it, thats what is meant. 

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Carlzone said:

Wa aleykom alsalam, 

Brother,

Do you know anything about non dualism.

When the pot is broken,
the space within it is absorbed in the infinite space
and becomes undifferentiated.

But surely you heard about Mansoor Al Hallaj the mystic.

Read his poetry may be you will find the answer of this question.

• Advanced Member
19 minutes ago, iraqi_shia said:

its God's spirit, in the same way it is his religion, his house, his prophet etc.

it is not God, but he owns it and created it, thats what is meant. 

But that sounds like Christians and their holy ghost/Spirit? That sounds like shirk to me. 

He "blew his spirit into us". What is God's spirit that he blew into us? 

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Raheel Yunus said:

Brother,

Do you know anything about non dualism.

When the pot is broken,
the space within it is absorbed in the infinite space
and becomes undifferentiated.

But surely you heard about Mansoor Al Hallaj the mystic.

Read his poetry may be you will find the answer of this question.

Oh I missed your comment. I just saw it now. 

No I don't think I know nondualism or mansoor al hallaj. I can't just read anything I come across. I only rely on Shia sources. I don't want to be lead astray or deviate unknowingly.

I want the information I get to be supported by Shia scholars.

• Advanced Member
8 hours ago, Carlzone said:

Oh I missed your comment. I just saw it now. 

No I don't think I know nondualism or mansoor al hallaj. I can't just read anything I come across. I only rely on Shia sources. I don't want to be lead astray or deviate unknowingly.

I want the information I get to be supported by Shia scholars.

This is not the first time i heard that knowledge has labels.

But in my opinion knowledge is pure and simple beyond any boundaries.

You have good questions, may Allah help you in your quest.

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, Raheel Yunus said:

This is not the first time i heard that knowledge has labels.

But in my opinion knowledge is pure and simple beyond any boundaries.

You have good questions, may Allah help you in your quest.

We have a hadith that states that we should be just as concerned with what we feed our minds as we are with what we feed our bodies. 

As I'm not a scholar I can more easily be fooled into believing in arguments that are not true. I can't always refute them being a layperson but my trusted scholars can. So I check with my scholars what sources are trusted in order to preserve the right faith and not be contaminated with shirk or kufr etc. My soul deserves that precious treatment. 

I have read more than a hundred books from nonshia sources and they did cause problems for me and hurt my faith in a way that i didn't even notice at first. The ideas sneaked into my mind in a seemingly harmless way. Unconsciously. Alhamdulillah weshokorr that God had mercy on me and woke me up. I do not want to be subjected to that again. 

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Carlzone said:

We have a hadith that states that we should be just as concerned with what we feed our minds as we are with what we feed our bodies. 

As I'm not a scholar I can more easily be fooled into believing in arguments that are not true. I can't always refute them being a layperson but my trusted scholars can. So I check with my scholars what sources are trusted in order to preserve the right faith and not be contaminated with shirk or kufr etc. My soul deserves that precious treatment. 

I have read more than a hundred books from nonshia sources and they did cause problems for me and hurt my faith in a way that i didn't even notice at first. The ideas sneaked into my mind in a seemingly harmless way. Unconsciously. Alhamdulillah weshokorr that God had mercy on me and woke me up. I do not want to be subjected to that again. 

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

That's wise... I like that. 

Unfortunately most Muslims around the world don't watch what they feed their brains (from TV, Internet, books etc.), and it's led to a lot of deviation. 

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, YAli said:

That's wise... I like that. 

Unfortunately most Muslims around the world don't watch what they feed their brains (from TV, Internet, books etc.), and it's led to a lot of deviation. 

I stopped watching TV maybe more than a decade ago. It has had a liberating effect on me. I can think outside the box now. I wasn't able to do this before. I'll give you an example. Even though I wasn't that politically interested media had unconsciously made me believe that Iran was evil. When I went there the first time I realised that they weren't bad as the media portrays them. This is how dangerous the media is to nonsuspecting and naive people (like I was).

If I want to watch the news nowadays I check alternative media.

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Carlzone said:

I stopped watching TV maybe more than a decade ago. It has had a liberating effect on me. I can think outside the box now. I wasn't able to do this before. I'll give you an example. Even though I wasn't that politically interested media had unconsciously made me believe that Iran was evil. When I went there the first time I realised that they weren't bad as the media portrays them. This is how dangerous the media is to nonsuspecting and naive people (like I was).

If I want to watch the news nowadays I check alternative media.

Wow I thought I was the only one. I stopped watching TV in 2012. Complete waste of time. When I used to watch TV it was almost impossible not to watch haram. Now I spend my time going out, chilling with friends, Internet for specific things, and more going out and relaxing. 

• Advanced Member
14 minutes ago, YAli said:

Wow I thought I was the only one. I stopped watching TV in 2012. Complete waste of time. When I used to watch TV it was almost impossible not to watch haram. Now I spend my time going out, chilling with friends, Internet for specific things, and more going out and relaxing. 

Well done :)

There are Islamic channels from Karbala, Najaf, Baghdad etc that can be worth watching if one wants to watch TV. 

• Veteran Member
23 hours ago, Carlzone said:

But that sounds like Christians and their holy ghost/Spirit? That sounds like shirk to me. 

He "blew his spirit into us". What is God's spirit that he blew into us? 

Not at all.

As sheikh Saduq said in his book our creed :

“And I breathed into it of My spirit” (Qur'an 15:29).14

Now he created that spirit (ruh), and Allah had breathed of it into Adam and Jesus. He only said: “My ruh” and He said: “My house”; “My slave”, “My garden”15, “My fire”, and “My earth”.

The meaning is as I described.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, YAli said:

Wow I thought I was the only one.

No, you are not the only one.I haven't watched TV in the last 12 years. :D 

@Carlzone  the verse "... and breathed into him of My spirit'' has been repeated three times in the Quran. According to most of the commentators breathing the spirit means something of Allahسُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى 's powers being bestowed to the human, while according to others it means literally the spirit explaining why angels were asked to bow to Adam(as)

While all muslims believe the spirit or 'ruh' is the source of life, knowledge and spiritual capability I doubt anyone but Masoomeen(as) would be able to exactly explain the meaning what human spirit is. I would advise you to not dwell on this too much for Allah says in the Holy Quran 17:85

They are asking thee concerning the Spirit. Say: The Spirit is by command of my Lord, and you have not been given knowledge save a little.

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, starlight said:

No, you are not the only one.I haven't watched TV in the last 12 years. :D 

@Carlzone  the verse "... and breathed into him of My spirit'' has been repeated three times in the Quran. According to most of the commentators breathing the spirit means something of Allahسُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى 's powers being bestowed to the human, while according to others it means literally the spirit explaining why angels were asked to bow to Adam(as)

While all muslims believe the spirit or 'ruh' is the source of life, knowledge and spiritual capability I doubt anyone but Masoomeen(as) would be able to exactly explain the meaning what human spirit is. I would advise you to not dwell on this too much for Allah says in the Holy Quran 17:85

They are asking thee concerning the Spirit. Say: The Spirit is by command of my Lord, and you have not been given knowledge save a little.

Thank you very much for your help @starlight

Ok, now I can accept that we don't have enough knowledge regarding it. 

• Veteran Member
13 hours ago, Carlzone said:

I'm sorry but I still have a hard time grasping this concept. Is that spirit he blew into us our soul or what?

you mentioned that you were confused as to was it a piece of God that is being seeded into the human? the answer was no. The soul is a creation that belongs to God, and is attached to humans at a certain time. The quote I gave you was explaining that grammatically, when it says "Gods soul", it does not mean the Soul within God, it simply means the soul that God created for you. The example of the "my house", and "my earth" show that God often calls things his, but this does not mean that he exists in them, but rather he owns them.