Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Deja vu

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member
14 minutes ago, dragonxx said:

I always wondered about it.

I think I heard or read at some point that we apparently are shown our entire lives before beginning our life on Earth but made to forget it all of course, and these instances of deja-vu during our life represent that.

MashaAllah that's very interesting. Do you by chance remember where you read this?

• Forum Administrators
7 hours ago, Carlzone said:

How do we islamically explain deja vus? What do they mean? And why do some people have them more than others? 

Salam. Remember your topic about Alam Al-tharr? Deja Vu is Been there, done that:

https://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/234986178-deja-vu/

• Forum Administrators
22 minutes ago, Carlzone said:

Ok, why do some people have them more than others?

Please don't read Wikipedia and get freaked out because I'm not even sure if that article is right. Basically there are neurological differences in people's brains. When deja vu happens, just think it's interesting. It doesn't happen that often, so when it does, just take a moment until the feeling is gone. Maybe Allah wanted you to stop and look around and breathe. Don't make any sudden moves. When the deja vu feeling passes, then you can be on your way. :) 

• Advanced Member

Salaamun aleikum, 

What i like do do when i have one and someone else happens to be with me, is tell them exactly what will happen in the next 5-10 seconds. So for example, im walking with a friend and deja vu comes on, so id be like,

"Whoa!Deja vu! Any second now, a green trucks gonna drive around that corner and a dog will bark!"

And then it happens, and its over:/

W/s

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Hameedeh said:

Please don't read Wikipedia and get freaked out because I'm not even sure if that article is right. Basically there are neurological differences in people's brains. When deja vu happens, just think it's interesting. It doesn't happen that often, so when it does, just take a moment until the feeling is gone. Maybe Allah wanted you to stop and look around and breathe. Don't make any sudden moves. When the deja vu feeling passes, then you can be on your way. :) 

In my case I have sometimes dreamt beforehand about things that are gonna happen. And when they do happen I am aware and know what's coming next. 

In certain periods I often have deja vus. In other period I don't have any. So I don't think it's neurological in my case, especially because of the first paragraph. 

Edited by Carlzone
  • Advanced Member
3 hours ago, shia farm girl said:

Salaamun aleikum, 

What i like do do when i have one and someone else happens to be with me, is tell them exactly what will happen in the next 5-10 seconds. So for example, im walking with a friend and deja vu comes on, so id be like,

"Whoa!Deja vu! Any second now, a green trucks gonna drive around that corner and a dog will bark!"

And then it happens, and its over:/

W/s

Oh wow MashaAllah! You're also having this knowing beforehand thing going on! 

I often get this. I get a feeling or knowing that something is going to happen and then it does. 

My mother is even levels above that. She sometimes sees things way beforehand. For instance, her colleague always wanted to have a girl. She only had boys. She was pregnant with a girl without telling anyone. My mom walked in and told her that she was pregnant with a girl. And she also told her what pattern (a military pattern) the baby stroller was gonna have. 

Her colleague was shocked and confirmed everything and that she was planning on getting a stroller with that particular pattern. 

But this is not something that she controls. It just happens sometimes. 

My mother even dreamt about who her husband was gonna be as a little girl, so when my dad who doesn't look like the typical Arab came along she knew it was him because she had seen him beforehand. 

My mother has even gotten visions of another colleague working at a different place and then days after she gets the news that that colleague has been placed at that other work place. But she wasn't surprised as she already knew and saw this happening. 

Edited by Carlzone
  • Advanced Member
2 hours ago, hasanhh said:

l think it is organizational cues.

Same as when you see someone who looks like or reminds you of someone else.

Maybe this could be the case sometimes. But read the examples that I wrote to shiafarmgirl and you will understand that this is not the case here.

• Veteran Member
1 hour ago, Carlzone said:

Maybe this could be the case sometimes. But read the examples that I wrote to shiafarmgirl and you will understand that this is not the case here.

The anticipatory nature of what you wrote is not deja vu, which is the feeling of having already been 'here'.

The word you want is presage, foretell or premonition.

• Advanced Member
6 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

The anticipatory nature of what you wrote is not deja vu, which is the feeling of having already been 'here'.

The word you want is presage, foretell or premonition.

But I get that too. The feeling of having already been here. 

Shouldn't all of these be related somehow? 

• Veteran Member
8 hours ago, Carlzone said:

Shouldn't all of these be related somehow? 

Maybe, in some psycho-analytical way. Of course mystics lump all kinds of stuff together, so that is garbage we can do without.

Yet, each element has a different word because each word identifies a different thing.

• Advanced Member
48 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

Maybe, in some psycho-analytical way. Of course mystics lump all kinds of stuff together, so that is garbage we can do without.

Yet, each element has a different word because each word identifies a different thing.

It would be nice to find out how they are interrelated though :itsok:

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Carlzone said:

Oh wow MashaAllah! You're also having this knowing beforehand thing going on! 

I often get this. I get a feeling or knowing that something is going to happen and then it does. 

My mother is even levels above that. She sometimes sees things way beforehand. For instance, her colleague always wanted to have a girl. She only had boys. She was pregnant with a girl without telling anyone. My mom walked in and told her that she was pregnant with a girl. And she also told her what pattern (a military pattern) the baby stroller was gonna have. 

Her colleague was shocked and confirmed everything and that she was planning on getting a stroller with that particular pattern. 

But this is not something that she controls. It just happens sometimes. 

My mother even dreamt about who her husband was gonna be as a little girl, so when my dad who doesn't look like the typical Arab came along she knew it was him because she had seen him beforehand. 

My mother has even gotten visions of another colleague working at a different place and then days after she gets the news that that colleague has been placed at that other work place. But she wasn't surprised as she already knew and saw this happening. 

These are rue dreams/visions from Allah, and a divine blessing. My understanding is truthful people get dreams like these.

• Veteran Member

Deja vu is not a dream, because you can't tell when, which night, where or how you had that dream.

It looks like a dream scene, but you can't relate it to any specific moment in your past days; unlike dreams that you remember when and where you had them.

• Advanced Member
14 minutes ago, mesbah said:

Deja vu is not a dream, because you can't tell when, which night, where or how you had that dream.

It looks like a dream scene, but you can't relate it to any specific moment in your past days; unlike dreams that you remember when and where you had them.

I believe all of these things are closely related. You can dream about the future and then it happens and when it happens you have this deja vu feeling meanwhile.

• Veteran Member

I believe all of these things are closely related. You can dream about the future and then it happens and when it happens you have this deja vu feeling meanwhile.

so let's ask this question instead;

Upon having deja vu, who has ever recalled the exact time/place of that dream? like I remember it was last month/last year/etc. that I had this dream.

deja vu is a dream-like scene; not a dream (what we seen in sleep)

It supports the idea that deja vu is more serious than future-telling dreams.

• Advanced Member
5 minutes ago, mesbah said:

so let's ask this question instead;

Upon having deja vu, who has ever recalled the exact time/place of that dream? like I remember it was last month/last year/etc. that I had this dream.

deja vu is a dream-like scene; not a dream (what we seen in sleep)

It supports the idea that deja vu is more serious than future-telling dreams.

I'm not saying that every deja vu is related to a dream, but that it sometimes is the case. At least in my experience. 

I don't understand why deja vu would be more serious than future-telling dreams. Could you explain a little further? I would have assumed the opposite. 

• Veteran Member

I'm not saying that every deja vu is related to a dream, but that it sometimes is the case. At least in my experience. 

I don't understand why deja vu would be more serious than future-telling dreams. Could you explain a little further? I would have assumed the opposite. 

As far as I have researched (not seriously, just randomly) there are three metaphysical and one physical (neurological) explanation for deja vu:

Metaphysical:

1- You have seen your life before coming to this space/time (The realm of Dharr)

Problem of 1: there are many ahadith about the realm of Tharr (about the covenant, the test, ....), but so far I couldn't find a hadith that says everybody has been shown his life in that world.

2- Deja vu is just the future-telling dreams that are reversed.

Problem of 2: Not all deja vus are like that, some of them (for me all of them) just 'seem' like a dream at first, once I think deeply about it, I can never remember when I saw that specific dream (unlike all other dreams which have a time/place tag on them)

3- Human soul/spirit is greater than this current space-time (this world/Dunya) and it can cover beyond it.

Physical Explanation:

It's a glitch in the human neurological system, where one's classification of memory data skips one's consciousness of it, so he thinks he has a memory data with two time-tags; the same scene is classified twice in your memory.

Problem: it doesn't seem plausible to me personally; neither does it fit some of the reported cases.

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)

I’ve been having this deja vu for so long now

i always see a really futuristic place 

I used to see this place a lot more often back in the days but i dont see it alot anymore

so i dont think its deja vu maybe it was just my imagination 

cuz that place is like REALLY FROM THE FUTURE LOL i dont think I’ll be alive to see that kind of technology 

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, Natsu said:

I’ve been having this deja vu for so long now

i always see a really futuristic place 

I used to see this place a lot more often back in the days but i dont see it alot anymore

so i dont think its deja vu maybe it was just my imagination 

cuz that place is like REALLY FROM THE FUTURE LOL i dont think I’ll be alive to see that kind of technology 

MashaAllah that sounds really cool. Does it involve high buildings and flying cars?

• Forum Administrators
2 hours ago, Carlzone said:

Does it involve high buildings and flying cars?

That sounds like The Jetsons. :D 

• Advanced Member
38 minutes ago, Hameedeh said:

That sounds like The Jetsons. :D 

I'm not familiar with The Jetsons, but I have heard stories of many people who claim to have seen the future and most of them say they saw high buildings and flying cars :)

Sounds cool. I'm somewhat of a daredevil so I'd be delighted to ride a flying car! 

Last summer I rode this thing called Turbine (a 70 metres high attraction) in Brussels in Belgium :clap: and I loved every second of it! 

Oops I removed the clip since there's unfortunately music in it. 

Edited by Carlzone