Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Abu Nur

Living in Iran

3 hours ago, Laayla said:

Sister @shadow_of_light what is the currency value now to the dollar?  How are you holding up with the prices?  Do you hear complaints from your parents about the sanctions?  Are the people blaming America or the government?

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

Our currency value constantly changes. I think currently 1 usd(American dollar) is equal to around 150000 rials.

Well, we have enough income. My parents also have a high income so we dont have financial problems but I am worried for the poor; they are really under pressure.

People blame both American and Iranian governments as well as those people who take advantage of the current situation.

People feel very hopeless about the future.

Sometimes my spouse and I discuss living in Iran. But he is terrified that he won't be able to sufficiently support us with the unstable economic situation. His brother is always giving him horror stories of what he is going through in Tehran with his job (or lack of). 

His brother was saying that he can't even afford diapers for his newborn because of the sanctions. Is this true? Are they very expensive? I can't imagine it's so bad that the average person can't afford diapers... That would be so sad. 

2 hours ago, ireallywannaknow said:

His brother was saying that he can't even afford diapers for his newborn because of the sanctions. Is this true? Are they very expensive? I can't imagine it's so bad that the average person can't afford diapers... That would be so sad. 

Diapers have become very expensive. I potty trained my daughter 4 months ago and now when we go out or at night, I diaper her just as a precaution. Beforehand, we monthly paid about 80-90 thoudand tomans for 4 packs of baby diaper and now we pay about 80 thousand tomans for just 1 pack.

2 hours ago, shadow_of_light said:

Diapers have become very expensive. I potty trained my daughter 4 months ago and now when we go out or at night, I diaper her just as a precaution. Beforehand, we monthly paid about 80-90 thoudand tomans for 4 packs of baby diaper and now we pay about 80 thousand tomans for just 1 pack.

Wow that must be so hard on new parents :(. Is cloth diapering/reusable diapers popular there? 

7 hours ago, ireallywannaknow said:

Sometimes my spouse and I discuss living in Iran. But he is terrified that he won't be able to sufficiently support us with the unstable economic situation. His brother is always giving him horror stories of what he is going through in Tehran with his job (or lack of). 

Your spouse could get a job that does not require him to be physically at work (such as namely an IT job), so he could get a nice american salary while living in Iran and having Iranian expenses.

On 10/31/2018 at 12:42 PM, shadow_of_light said:

I somewhat agree with you about your first paragraph (almost in every country educated people usually have a better more rational behaviour) but as to your 2nd paragraph, such people are a small minority.

There are people in USA who have many wrong beliefs about Iranians. For example they think that every woman in Iran has to wear niqab or women have no freedom and have a very miserable life and if you give them (these Americans) a map without names on it, they cannot find Iran on the map.

So can I say Americans are uneducated people?! Of course not!

I am almost sure that even 1% of Iranians dont have that absurd opinion about Americans (that Americans attack women...!).

America, like any other large country is diverse and there are some ignorant people but usually they are ignorant in certain areas and knowledgeable in others. For example, I have an uncle who knows everything alot about sports. You can ask him about any player in almost any sport and he can talk about it and have an intelligent conversation. Yet he cannot do basic algebra, like solve for x, x / 4 = 1. 

Also, most Americans don't know about geography because it is not taught in school and it is irrelevant to most people's lives. In the US, you can go from State to State without having to pass thru any customs or immigration and most Americans live and die within the borders of the US and never leave it. 50% of Americans don't have a passport, meaning they don't even have the ability to travel outside the US. There are many people that have never even left their own region of the country. 

Edited by Abu Hadi

12 hours ago, ireallywannaknow said:

Wow that must be so hard on new parents :(. Is cloth diapering/reusable diapers popular there? 

No, they arent but they are sold almost in every drugstore.

Your brother in-law can buy old-fashioned disposable diapers which are very cheap (1 pack of 20 diapers costs about 7000 tomans) and found usually in every shop (under the brand name of "Panberes"(pronounced "panbehreez"). Just they have to be used with some special kind of plastic (also sold in drugstores).

There are many domestic high quality brands such as "My Baby", "Barlie",... but since some of their ingredients are imported from other countries, they have become very expensive.

By the way, Tehran is a very expensive city. Your brother in-law can live in new small towns close to Tehran (such as Pardis or Parand) where he needs much less money for renting a flat/ house.

Edited by shadow_of_light

22 hours ago, ireallywannaknow said:

r u originally iranian?

20 hours ago, alidu78 said:

are you pessimist about the situation in Iran ?

Salam it’s common problem in social media but most of times Arabic or Farsi  comments of Arabic speakers about that they want separation from Iran because they think Arabic countries like as KSA will behave them like kings & Queens & now Iran government & Persian speakers oppress them 

but sister @Fatima NMA experience is more like Afghans that complain about inequality that face in Iran they had idea that they will face no hardship in Iran & now they praise European countries because they are Humans & not like Iranians are not racists 

I don’t deny doing mistakes by Iranians but most of it is made by corrupted authorities that they even don’t care ordinary people of Iran 

& before revolution whole of government specially in education part was completely anti Arab but now anti Iranian regimes that relate to monarchy of Pahlavi specially last Pahlavi prince  easily receive support financial aid from Saud Family & praise them but their fans in Iran are still predicting that they are Anti Arabs because they knew every Islamic act as Arabic heritage.

3 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

Salam it’s common problem in social media but most of times Arabic or Farsi  comments of Arabic speakers about that they want separation from Iran because they think Arabic countries like as KSA will behave them like kings & Queens & now Iran government & Persian speakers oppress them 

but sister @Fatima NMA experience is more like Afghans that complain about inequality that face in Iran they had idea that they will face no hardship in Iran & now they praise European countries because they are Humans & not like Iranians are not racists 

I don’t deny doing mistakes by Iranians but most of it is made by corrupted authorities that they even don’t care ordinary people of Iran 

& before revolution whole of government specially in education part was completely anti Arab but now anti Iranian regimes that relate to monarchy of Pahlavi specially last Pahlavi prince  easily receive support financial aid from Saud Family & praise them but their fans in Iran are still predicting that they are Anti Arabs because they knew every Islamic act as Arabic heritage.

Seems  like you are really confused :)

Me as an iranian who was raised outside of iran..in an arabic 'open' country,i suppose after living among iranians for years now,inside of iran, i can tell whether they are racist or not..and yes they are no doubt racist..

They have issues with afghanis as well as arabs...on the other hand they praise other countries...

If you are iranian and not racist don't feel offended plz..we all know there are the good and the bad everywhere..i'm iranian too but i respect every human being on this earth! generally  racism is within the blood of persians!

And i didn't get the relation of what u said about shah and government with what i said before! I'm not a fan of the shah nor i'm a fan of khamenei..all i care about is the people of iran  that they themselves see no future or hope!

34 minutes ago, Fatima NMA said:

Seems  like you are really confused :)

Me as an iranian who was raised outside of iran..in an arabic 'open' country,i suppose after living among iranians for years now,inside of iran, i can tell whether they are racist or not..and yes they are no doubt racist..

They have issues with afghanis as well as arabs...on the other hand they praise other countries...

If you are iranian and not racist don't feel offended plz..we all know there are the good and the bad everywhere..i'm iranian too but i respect every human being on this earth! generally  racism is within the blood of persians!

And i didn't get the relation of what u said about shah and government with what i said before! I'm not a fan of the shah nor i'm a fan of khamenei..all i care about is the people of iran  that they themselves see no future or hope!

It is true that I don't live in Iran but I am myself iranian so I would like to say something here. 

It is true that in general there is some hypocrisy in Iran society about racism in particular against Arabs or afghans but in general about Arabs it is most à sentiment of superiority than racism. Most people in Iran I know have nothing agaisnt Arabs. Some people hate gulf Arabs (not so much mashrek Arabs) and even here it is mostly agaisnt rulers than people. I have a friend who traveled in Iran with many Arab friends and they didn't have problems with iranian people. So please thank you to not generalize. 

17 hours ago, Laayla said:

Sister @Fatima NMA Insh'Allah you are well and in good health.  Would you please explain why as an Iranian Shia you have a problem with Sayyid Khamenei?  Thank you sister.

Salam sister , thank you

Well it's not something personal,he might be a good man but  politically he's not in the right place imo! i can't explain more :)

18 hours ago, Fatima NMA said:

generally  racism is within the blood of persians!

You are telling us that Persians are racists, but why you proved yourself as a racist by stating this?
Why don't you say also that Arabs (or any other race) also have racism within their blood? It's fact that many of them also look down on other races.

Edited by 000

29 minutes ago, Fatima NMA said:

Salam sister , thank you

Well it's not something personal,he might be a good man but  politically he's not in the right place imo! i can't explain more :)

How much politically interested would you say that you are in general? For example: how high would you rank your level of knowledge regarding politics, especially the current politics of the world? Geopolitics? American foreign politics? Relationships between east and west and their playground in the middle?

Like is your opinion rationally concluded or emotionally?

2 hours ago, IbnSina said:

How much politically interested would you say that you are in general? For example: how high would you rank your level of knowledge regarding politics, especially the current politics of the world? Geopolitics? American foreign politics? Relationships between east and west and their playground in the middle?

Like is your opinion rationally concluded or emotionally?

I'm not gonna get into this debate.i was asked a question by a sister and i gave my answer according to my observations during my stay inside the country!

2 hours ago, 000 said:

You are telling us that Persians are racists, but why you proved yourself as a racist by stating this?
Why don't you say also that Arabs (or any other race) also have racism within their blood? It's fact that many of them also look down on other races.

Saying Arabs are racist is not fair dear, as arabs are split into haters of iran and supporters and those in the middle!

Like for example where i lived almost 24 years,everybody used to love persians except 'some' of the sunni and christian fellows!

While in iran it's not the same, i haven't seen anyone who says good stuff about arabs,they don't even know that arab lebanese for example  is not the same as arab saudi..they just hate them all!! Even the 'religious' ones who go to arbaeen imam hussein they come with a lot of bad stuff to say about arabs!! Come on!

26 minutes ago, Fatima NMA said:

While in iran it's not the same, i haven't seen anyone who says good stuff about arabs,they don't even know that arab lebanese for example  is not the same as arab saudi..they just hate them all!! Even the 'religious' ones who go to arbaeen imam hussein they come with a lot of bad stuff to say about arabs!! Come on!

Well, my experience tells me it is not like this. True that many Iranians badmouth about Arabs. But it is not always the case, the opposite is also true. Many Iranian Persians I met & my friends, have respect for Arabs.
As for why you didn't met Lebanese Arabs that look down on Persians, it is because they don't have many Persians in Lebanon to interact. If there were large number of Persians in Lebanon, I bet they would be looked down like those Palestinians.
My experience living in many different regions and culture told me that when there are many races live together in a region, there are tendencies for some low-lifes in the region to draw racist conclusions because this phenomena exists in most of the world as low-lifes exist everywhere.

Edited by 000

1 hour ago, Fatima NMA said:

I'm not gonna get into this debate.i was asked a question by a sister and i gave my answer according to my observations during my stay inside the country!

It was just a question, no need to get so defensive.

1 hour ago, Fatima NMA said:

Saying Arabs are racist is not fair dear, as arabs are split into haters of iran and supporters and those in the middle!

Like for example where i lived almost 24 years,everybody used to love persians except 'some' of the sunni and christian fellows!

In maghreb wich is also populated by Arab people there is huge racism against black African people. So stop this ridiculous victimization toward good Arabs against racist Iranians. 

Salam

Masha'Allah.It is so nice to see that i am not only one,who think about it.

I am not much worry bout sanctions,or any other isue that can arrive.

Just,i give myself time,to think about it.

Insha'Allah,from january i will start with farsi language lectures.

That can benefit me anyway,even if i change my decision.

But,somehow i more and mor realize,that Iran dont need me,i need Iran.

Wa salam

3 hours ago, AidAsSadik said:

Salam

Masha'Allah.It is so nice to see that i am not only one,who think about it.

I am not much worry bout sanctions,or any other isue that can arrive.

Just,i give myself time,to think about it.

Insha'Allah,from january i will start with farsi language lectures.

That can benefit me anyway,even if i change my decision.

But,somehow i more and mor realize,that Iran dont need me,i need Iran.

Wa salam

I think Iran need migrants in particular intelligent shia migrants. However like i said previously i dont think this would be a bad idea in the short term regarding the economic situation in Iran.