Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Sumerian

Iraq turns to Saudi Arabia for electricity

Rate this topic

After negotiations failed between Iraq and Iran on electricity debt, Iraq turned to Saudi Arabia for electricity, and the Saudis promised to give Iraq electricity for a fraction of the price Iraq was giving Iran.

The Gulf States have recently stepped up efforts of helping Iraq economically and also in helping them with the electricity and water crisis.

It is possible that the Saudis will try to make more offers during this period where protests are taking place. 

www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2018-07-29/iraq-says-saudis-to-sell-it-power-at-a-fraction-of-iran-s-price

On 8/1/2018 at 9:07 PM, Sumerian said:

It is possible that the Saudis will try to make more offers during this period where protests are taking place. 

Salam it's obvious but even KSA (Hijaz) doesn't use solar power  ,this is just their dream for Iraq to make it dependent to itself ,Iraqis must fix their problem with themselves , currently Iran had to back ups the interior electricity till end of summer but i think at start of Muharam for pilgrimage will resume  electricity back up of Iraq.

Edited by ShiaChat Mod
spelling

Shame, Abadi seems like he's trying his best especially by firing many corrupt minsters like recently the electricity one. But many Iraqis especially family say he's doing this for his public image as he could do more he just wants a longer term while not replacing his own cabinet.

44 minutes ago, 3wliya_maryam said:

I bet they're lying

Who is lying? It's confirmed by the spokesman for the ministry of electricity.

6 minutes ago, IbnSina said:

I guess making the country dependent on US charity was not enough of a humiliation. 

Habibi wdym? This is just trade. Iran got Europe to improve its electrical grid. This is just investment and smart business. If Iran doesn't want to provide us with electricity cause they have electrical problems themselves, who do we get from? The sky?

6 minutes ago, Sumerian said:

Who is lying? It's confirmed by the spokesman for the ministry of electricity.

Habibi wdym? This is just trade. Iran got Europe to improve its electrical grid. This is just investment and smart business. If Iran doesn't want to provide us with electricity cause they have electrical problems themselves, who do we get from? The sky?

The Saudis r lying i don't believe they're gonna give them electricity even if they said they will, its not gonna be on good terms and why all of a sudden Saudi decides to help Iraq when it's their biggest enemy I bet they're trying to plot something or start more war and chaos by gaining their trust

2 hours ago, shiasoldier786 said:

What did the Iraqis sell out in return?

Wdym? It's just business. Your country's biggest trading partner is the UAE, has it sold out to the UAE? 

Edited by Sumerian

TEHRAN, Young Journalists Club (YJC) - Mahmoud Reza Haqqi-Fam, the spokesman of Iran Power Transmission, Generation and Distribution Company (Tavanir), said Tuesday that exports had resumed to Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan 10 days ago.

https://www.yjc.ir/en/news/27726/iran-resumes-electricity-exports-to-iraq-other-countries

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

Why  is it a big deal for some ppl here? Iraq buys electricity, so what?

Electricity is not that huge where it will turn Iraqis into little slaves of Saudis.. today, they buy it, tomorrow they might stop and turn somewhere else.

And I don't understand why on everything Iran is brought up and compared, especially by the OP? Iran does business with Europe so we do with Saudis. You are not living by Iranian standards.. Iraq is an independent country and if it makes mistakes, it is the problem for Iraq. By the time someone is questioning Iraq's wrong move, for example in this case, then there must be  too many  Iranian-related reasons.... The problem some ppl might see here is that  Saudis did support evils like Saddam, and after that actively participated and provoked Sunni-Arabs in the civil war, then they (Gulf states/Turkey) started the ISIS drama and massacred thousands of Iraqis in the process.... but after all if Iraq needs electricity and buys it from Saudis, I don't see a big problem...

But stop making fitnah on everything and compare Iran on all levels with every single issue... Why there always be a bad guy (Iran) in your stories?  Iran did not adopt Iraq to be either responsible for all its problems/expenses or else, Iran is a bad father and Iraq is now turning to its enemies!  Iraq as a whole should decide and take responsibility for its foreign and domestic problems... If Iraqis (now) think that Saudis and all other little monafiq-puppet Gulf states are good business partners after all they did to Iraq, then be it, good for you!

Tomorrow empower  Abubakar al-Baghdadi and Saddam's daughters and make them the prime minister and president of Iraq, if you think it is good for Iraqis without any logical explanation.. .. and  if you think that is the better option in confronting Iranian influence! That is right you might anger Iran by doing so, but you forget all about your own dark past with these ppl  and how you were abused and massacred by such individuals/groups...

Edited by Noah-

@Noah-

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum.

That's what comes to your mind, seriously is so what?

What about so what for the over 40 children that were killed by Ahul Sa3oud?

What a slap in the face for every Yemeni civilian dead or alive!  Appalling!

If Sayyid Seeistani does't want to get involved in politics, what about economics?  

https://www.imamreza.net/old/eng/imamreza.php?id=7481

Imam Musa al-Kazim (A.S.) Commands Safwan Jammal

By: Shaheed Ayatullah Abdul Husain Dastghaib Shirazi
Safwan Jammal bin Mahram Kufi was a very pious companion of Imam Ja’far as-Sadiq (a.s.) and Imam Musa al-Kadhim (a.s.). He used to earn his livelihood by hiring out camels. He owned a large number of camels.
He says that one day Imam Musa al-Kadhim (a.s.) said to him, “Safwan every action of yours is meritorious except one.”
“May I be sacrificed for you, what action is that?” He said, “You hire your camels to Harun al-Rashid (l.a.)”
He said, “I don’t give my camels for hunting or games but he takes them when he goes for Hajj and I do not serve him myself, I order my servants to accompany them on the journey.”
Imam (a.s.) asked, “Do they pay you in advance or after their return?”
“After they return”, he replied, “Don’t you carry the hope that they return safe and sound from their journey so that you receive your payment?”
“Yes.”
Imam (a.s.) said, “One who wishes them to remain alive is like them and one who is connected with them will go to Hell.” (Wasa’il ul-Shia)
Safwan says that when he heard this he sold away all his camels. When Harun heard of this he summoned him and asked the reason for it. He said, “I have become old and weak and am unable to take care of the camels, even my slaves are not capable of maintaining them properly.”
Harūn said, “It is not so! I know who has persuaded you to do this. You have done this on the direction Musa Ibn Ja’far (a.s.).”
“What do I have to do with Musa Ibn Ja’far?” said Safwan but Harūn was not satisfied and said that if he had not had good relations with Safwan he would have got him killed.
Imam Ja’far as-Sadiq (a.s.) says: “One who likes the oppressors to continue (to live) likes the disobedience to Allah (to continue) on this earth.” (Wasa’il ul-Shia)
While explaining the Qur’anic verse, “... and do not incline to those who are unjust, lest the fire may touch you.” (Surah Hūd 11:113)
Imam (a.s.) says, “If a person comes to a ruler and wishes for him to live if only for as long as it would take for him to put his hand inside his money bag and give some amount.”
Wishing for the life of an oppressor even for a moment is the same as being inclined towards him.

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:24 PM, Laayla said:

@Noah-

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum.

That's what comes to your mind, seriously is so what?

What about so what for the over 40 children that were killed by Ahul Sa3oud?

What a slap in the face for every Yemeni civilian dead or alive!  Appalling!

If Sayyid Seeistani does't want to get involved in politics, what about economics?  

https://www.imamreza.net/old/eng/imamreza.php?id=7481

Imam Musa al-Kazim (A.S.) Commands Safwan Jammal

By: Shaheed Ayatullah Abdul Husain Dastghaib Shirazi
Safwan Jammal bin Mahram Kufi was a very pious companion of Imam Ja’far as-Sadiq (a.s.) and Imam Musa al-Kadhim (a.s.). He used to earn his livelihood by hiring out camels. He owned a large number of camels.
He says that one day Imam Musa al-Kadhim (a.s.) said to him, “Safwan every action of yours is meritorious except one.”
“May I be sacrificed for you, what action is that?” He said, “You hire your camels to Harun al-Rashid (l.a.)”
He said, “I don’t give my camels for hunting or games but he takes them when he goes for Hajj and I do not serve him myself, I order my servants to accompany them on the journey.”
Imam (a.s.) asked, “Do they pay you in advance or after their return?”
“After they return”, he replied, “Don’t you carry the hope that they return safe and sound from their journey so that you receive your payment?”
“Yes.”
Imam (a.s.) said, “One who wishes them to remain alive is like them and one who is connected with them will go to Hell.” (Wasa’il ul-Shia)
Safwan says that when he heard this he sold away all his camels. When Harun heard of this he summoned him and asked the reason for it. He said, “I have become old and weak and am unable to take care of the camels, even my slaves are not capable of maintaining them properly.”
Harūn said, “It is not so! I know who has persuaded you to do this. You have done this on the direction Musa Ibn Ja’far (a.s.).”
“What do I have to do with Musa Ibn Ja’far?” said Safwan but Harūn was not satisfied and said that if he had not had good relations with Safwan he would have got him killed.
Imam Ja’far as-Sadiq (a.s.) says: “One who likes the oppressors to continue (to live) likes the disobedience to Allah (to continue) on this earth.” (Wasa’il ul-Shia)
While explaining the Qur’anic verse, “... and do not incline to those who are unjust, lest the fire may touch you.” (Surah Hūd 11:113)
Imam (a.s.) says, “If a person comes to a ruler and wishes for him to live if only for as long as it would take for him to put his hand inside his money bag and give some amount.”
Wishing for the life of an oppressor even for a moment is the same as being inclined towards him.

Ws sis,

I don't understand what is the connection between buying electricity and 40 kids killed in Yemen? Kids are killed every day and countries are destroyed by Arab tyrants, European nations, Americas, and other countries... but still business is done between states, unless they are at war!

You feel sorry for Yemeni kids, lets pray instead of cancelling business deals, some Shia leaders, countries, groups send some aids to Yemeni children.. money, food, medicine and etc.. protesting and chanting or burning flags all day, won't help any kid in Yemen!

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum Brother @Noah-

I can look at any face of a Yemeni child and say I didn't have the financial means or the political power to stop this war, but know I would never support a tyrant against you or side with the dhaleemen just to make me feel comfortable for a few hours of electricity.  I'd rather live on candle light than to to be indirectly involved in supporting tyrants kill innocent people.  

We will all be answerable youm al qiyyama.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

4 hours ago, Laayla said:

me feel comfortable for a few hours of electricity. 

I wasn't following the debate, but:

These few hours of electricity could be the difference between life and death for certain people. It's only because we live such luxurious lives that these "few hours" of electricity are seen as a mere "comfort". That electricity could be used in hospitals for those few hours to help save the lives of people. It could've helped the parched children have a few moments where they're not dying of heat. 

Edited by 2Timeless

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum @2Timeless

I don't live a luxurious life brother.  I choose a life of simplicity, Alhamd'Allah.  I don't want this dunya.  I ask Allah swt to remove the love of this dunya from my heart.

God keep us steadfast on His religion.

Trading with zaalim KSA might not be a good move but why is everyone freaking out. This is a trade. They are buying an essential necessity. Even Iran trades with US after all those 'Marg bar.. '. Please make a thread about it and say 'Disgusting'. 

https://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c5070.html

Just now, Laayla said:

@Sirius_Bright

I don't understand what is the difference between trade and the sanctions that US has imposed on Iran.

I'm very confused, please explain.

Iran is under sanctions but they still trade with US, maybe some third party (another country) is involved as intermediary but they still trade.

13 minutes ago, Laayla said:

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum @2Timeless

I don't live a luxurious life brother.  I choose a life of simplicity, Alhamd'Allah.  I don't want this dunya.  I ask Allah swt to remove the love of this dunya from my heart.

God keep us steadfast on His religion.

Ws, 

It's sister. I wasn't accusing you of living a luxurious life. However, considering the fact that most of us have a roof over our heads and the luxury of having access to internet and an electronic device (all of which require electricity), we lead extremely privelaged and luxurious lives. Hence, some people can't see why needing electricity and it's trade in Iraq is so important. Alot of us lead the lives that Iraqi orphans and widows and widowers can only ever dream of. 

@Salsabeel

I sense aggression on your end.

Why do you want to shut down any sort of criticism?  Iran is also not immune to criticism.   No country is immune.

Khayr Insh'Allah.

@2Timeless

Suffering exists throughout the region.  I agree with privileged but not luxurious.  Of course we do not forget our 3raqi brothers and sisters who have suffered years under Saddam and post-Saddam LA.

God bring relief to all the oppressed behaq Mohammad wa ahli Mohammad.

Edited by Laayla

6 minutes ago, Laayla said:

@Salsabeel

I sense aggression on your end.

Why do you want to shut down any sort of criticism?  Iran is also not immune to criticism.   No country is immune.

Khayr Insh'Allah.

Sister! 

At least we have something valid to criticize. We have started criticizing the trade deals of a sovereign country. 

It sounds absurd!

6 minutes ago, Laayla said:

Iran is also not immune to criticism.   No country is immune.

Thanks. This should somehow be pinned at top of shiachat. There are some people here who will go mad when someone criticizes Islamic Republic. 

15 minutes ago, Laayla said:

Why do you want to shut down any sort of criticism

Criticising a country for engaging in trade for a mere necessity that may make or break the life of thousands of innocent people is simply outrageous. People are dying because of the lack of electricity and clean water, whilst people on the other side of the world sit behind their smartphones and type "disgusting" and carry on with their life. 

15 minutes ago, Laayla said:

Suffering exists throughout the region.  I agree with privileged but not luxurious. 

Having access to clean water and electricity and living in a clean environment is not luxurious? None of us could ever spend even an hour living the life of Iraqi and Syrian refugees. Sounds like luxury to me.

Edit- also, you don't need to be a millionaire to be said to have a life of luxury. For some, even being able to close your eyes at night and not worry about whether or not you'll have access to water and electricity, that you'll have all your limbs when you wake up the next morning, is a luxury. 

Edited by 2Timeless

Your post edit @2Timeless

In that case, I agree with you.  That is why we should always be in the state of thankfulness.

God gave us so much, yet few are grateful.

God bless you and goodnight.

Sister 2time, thank you for reminding me to be mindful.  I'm glad there are individuals who remember the destitute and underprivileged.

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 4:04 AM, Laayla said:

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum Brother @Noah-

I can look at any face of a Yemeni child and say I didn't have the financial means or the political power to stop this war, but know I would never support a tyrant against you or side with the dhaleemen just to make me feel comfortable for a few hours of electricity.  I'd rather live on candle light than to to be indirectly involved in supporting tyrants kill innocent people.  

We will all be answerable youm al qiyyama.

Ws sis,

That is true and that is how it should be... You feel like that, I feel and believe that way, and many more ordinary ppl who are not part of governments or holding a state position do as well!

But, in the 'real' world that is NOT how it is being done and not working that way.. state/government institutions often look for bigger gains and calculate their gain/loss on the basis of their interests... for example during Iran-Iraq war 'Iran' under the leadership of Imam Khomeini bought their weapons and other needs for urgent needs, nobody cared if the providers were baby-killers, "dhalemeen" or tyrants. Iraq being in urgent need of electricity might turn to any neighbor who could provide for lesser cost.

BTW: many Muslims, including Shia Muslims, including our families are going to Hajj and Umrah knowing that the money they spent, a lot of them are contributing to the economy of Saudi Arabi.. a country who aided and sent terrorist organizations for decades to kill Muslims and sabotage their security from Afg to Pak, from Eastern China to Lebanon and elsewhere, aside from the war in Yemen... My point is that there are things and there are times that an individual, a state, a government, they all have to deal with tyrants for different reasons even if it helps the tyrants indirectly!

Edited by Noah-

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum @Noah-

Thank you for the clarification brother.  You are right what we do on in individual level cannot be applied to the country.  At most we only have power to our families.

At times when the government electricity goes off, we have the generator.  When the generator doesn't work we are on candle light.

Also, I appreciate your patience and explaining the topic without a condescending tone. 

God bless you.

4 hours ago, Noah- said:

for example during Iran-Iraq war 'Iran' under the leadership of Imam Khomeini bought their weapons and other needs for urgent needs, nobody cared if the providers were baby-killers, "dhalemeen" or tyrants. Iraq being in urgent need of electricity might turn to any neighbor who could provide for lesser cost.

The Iranian arms purchases did not alter Iran's attitude towards the Israel/Pal issue. The Iranians kept to their principles. If the Iraqis keep to theirs, then the analogy is ok.