Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Helping sick nonmahrams

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member (With Brothers Forum Membership)
17 minutes ago, Carlzone said:

So it's halal to help him up physically even if I'm not wearing any gloves? 

Ofc its okay

are you just gonna stand there and watch the old man lie on the ground 

• Advanced Member
3 minutes ago, Natsu said:

Ofc its okay

are you just gonna stand there and watch the old man lie on the ground 

I already feel like an idiot because I froze and didn't know if I was allowed to touch him. So I stood there and talked with him until he managed to get up and sit down. I offered to call the ambulance but he didn't want me to. I walked beside him until he got home and gave him some recommendations as to where he could call and the name of a private chiropractice.

• Veteran Member
2 hours ago, Carlzone said:

Are you being funny or serious? 

Lol. Serious.

For example, when people go to visit Ayatollah Sistani, they want to shake hands with him.

He just extends his cloak and women just shake it. Also, I had to help an older lady during hajj, I gave her the end of my ihram to pull herself slightly uphill.

There is always a way.

• Advanced Member
2 minutes ago, ShiaMan14 said:

Lol. Serious.

For example, when people go to visit Ayatollah Sistani, they want to shake hands with him.

He just extends his cloak and women just shake it. Also, I had to help an older lady during hajj, I gave her the end of my ihram to pull herself slightly uphill.

There is always a way.

Ahaa, I see. That's very respectful MashaAllah. 

Unfortunately in my case I wasn't precisely prepared for this to happen and had no extra clothes. And I can't lift a grown man without using my hands properly. Actually I'm not sure if i can do that even if I use both of my hands properly. I'm not a very big or strong person.

• Veteran Member
13 minutes ago, Carlzone said:

Ahaa, I see. That's very respectful MashaAllah. 

Unfortunately in my case I wasn't precisely prepared for this to happen and had no extra clothes. And I can't lift a grown man without using my hands properly. Actually I'm not sure if i can do that even if I use both of my hands properly. I'm not a very big or strong person.

No worries. Everything in Islam is geared towards making us a better person.

Heavy emphasis has been placed on rights of family, neighbor, community and humanity. 

• Moderators

Alhamdulilla it all came out ok.

Hopefully it never happens again, but necessary touching of non-mehrams is allowed, like for doctors, nurses, physical therapists, sometimes teachers, and also emergency response, which is what you would have been in this case. If there is a man nearby who can help, you should ask him to do it, but definitely if you are the only one able or willing to help a man who has fallen or is injured, there's no issue with it whatsoever. 

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, notme said:

but necessary touching of non-mehrams is allowed

Big emphasis on the word necessary. Thats the key word in these kind of situations.

If its a young man who will be up before you get to go over to him, let him get up. If its an old man who is struggling to get up, such as in the case of a cold winter with icy walkways and no male is there to help him instead of you then one should help.

By the way, even in the case of doctors and nurses, therapists, etc: one should make their utmost to get a female one ahead of time if possible and if its not and you cannot wait then a male one will have to do. These things can very easily become slippery slopes. Next thing you know, you have male gynecologist and reports of inappropriate behavior and even rape. 

• Advanced Member
11 hours ago, IbnSina said:

Big emphasis on the word necessary. Thats the key word in these kind of situations.

If its a young man who will be up before you get to go over to him, let him get up. If its an old man who is struggling to get up, such as in the case of a cold winter with icy walkways and no male is there to help him instead of you then one should help.

By the way, even in the case of doctors and nurses, therapists, etc: one should make their utmost to get a female one ahead of time if possible and if its not and you cannot wait then a male one will have to do. These things can very easily become slippery slopes. Next thing you know, you have male gynecologist and reports of inappropriate behavior and even rape. 

Thank you IbnSina for your elaboration and clarification! 

Male gynecologist? :o That is so inappropriate. Unfortunately I read a thread on Facebook where most girls who responded said that they preferred a male gynecologist over a female one. But this included westerners.

Guest silasun
1 hour ago, IbnSina said:

This is the post out of all of the above which most accurate, even though I am not clear whether one or two points that Ibn Sina has mentioned are correct.

• Advanced Member

@Carlzone وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته

What kind of human being would not physically help the opposite gender up if he/she falls over on the street and no one else is around?

Unless you were yourself physically unable to do so you must help the person regardless of age.

If one wishes to use gloves etc then it would be a good idea to keep some disposables in your wallet/ purse ...

Be a good Shia-maritan!

Yes, obviously I am the devil because I was afraid to anger God if I touched him and it wasn't halal. 

And it is also because I am a monstrous human being that I asked brothers and sisters on this site what the rulings are in this case so that I know what my boundaries are the next time I find myself in a situation like this. 

Do you know that this man, even though I did not touch him, asked me 5 -10 times why I am so kind to him? As a human being one can convey a lot of warmth and caring by the words one says and ones body language and facial expression. Alhamdolillah weshokorr that this men felt what was in my heart.

• Forum Administrators
On 7/27/2018 at 11:48 PM, Carlzone said:

I can't lift a grown man without using my hands properly. Actually I'm not sure if i can do that even if I use both of my hands properly. I'm not a very big or strong person.

My relative fell and I could not lift him. I yelled for another relative and we both were able to do it. 

Edited by Hameedeh
PS: Thank you for making this topic. :)
  • Advanced Member
On 7/29/2018 at 12:48 AM, Hameedeh said:

My relative fell and I could not lift him. I yelled for another relative and we both were able to do it. 

That's awful! I'm sorry to hear that! Alhamdolillah weshokorr that your relative could come and help you.

May Allah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) keep all of his ummah safe InshaAllah!

• Advanced Member
2 minutes ago, Zulfiqar1472 said:

But be sure he is not dramatising the situation :) Rest is fine

Oh no he was not dramatizing. I spotted him from far behind. (He didn't even see me first). He could not walk normally  and was leaning towards a building and all the time almost falling. I have never seen anything like this before. 

I asked him a lot about his health and he told me he had severe back problems that made him stiff and unable to walk normally. He had been to doctors and a physical therapist and they only gave and recommended pills which did not help him with his immobility. That is why I advised him to try chiropractice as he told me he had not tried that before.

• Forum Administrators

These videos show how to help someone who has fallen down.

Helping Someone Get Up From A Fall

Easiest way to get up from the floor :

How to get up from the floor or ground without help or something to hold onto :

How to get off the floor after a[n] injury from a fall. :