Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Guest Islandsandmirrorsnback

Why women should not wear makeup

Rate this topic

Guest Islandsandmirrorsnback

As a woman, I have realized that makeup is completely unnecessary. (I'm not here for an "is makeup haram" debate, by the way. "Makeup" means "Full face" or "barely anything there/natural/not noticeable. For people to say it is all haram are probably thinking of "clown/instagram" makeup, which is not what I'm referring to.) The reasons being are that makeup, for one, is used by women to cover-up acne and smoothen blemishes/uneven skin tone, and thus, feeling more confident in themselves. However, this confidence is not real, as when they wipe-off all the makeup, they are often hypercritical of their appearances. 

What needs to be applied instead of makeup is skin care. Good moisturizers, eye creams to repair dark circles, good sleep, nutrition, cleansers, etc., is often all that is needed for healthy skin. 

As an example, one of my non-Muslim friends had terrible acne. However, after stopping foundation to cover-up her acne, and taking care of her skin, in several months, her skin became like porcelain. 

As for myself, I stopped wearing light makeup (mascara and pink shades of lipstick and a bit of blush, and concealer) only a week ago, and already my skin has improves dramatically. I replaced concealer and starting using eye cream for dark circle repair, and they have reduced greatly. My dark circles haven't been this light in years. Instead of wearing any kind of foundation (I've never been big on full-coverage, and instead, I used light foundation for a while), I spray some rosewater mist and use non-animal tested, cruelty-free moisturizer a few times per day to give my skin a dewy freshness. Even my family has commented that my skin is glowing. (My skin used to be a bit dull before.) For my lips, I exfoliate with my toothbrush at least once per day, as well as sugar mixed with honey. I also use tinted lip balm instead of lipstick, since lipstick dry out the lips. 

Furthermore, makeup is marketed by the beauty industry to expose/take advantage of our insecurities and make us feel worthless and not attractive without makeup. Believing we are not attractive without makeup is the biggest lie. And many makeup products are filled with terrible chemicals that damage the skin and make it dull and can even age you faster. Instead of women wearing makeup, we should focus on empowering ourselves and becoming aware of how the media attempts to take advantage of us. Even, although this is a bit of a stretch, makeup can be seen as a tool for a type of oppression that we are willingly subjecting ourselves to. We are always willing to call out people on beauty standards (blonde hair and skinny as an example.) but makeup gets a free pass. We believe that makeup is "artist expression" and a way to feel confident. If makeup is truly artist expression, why can't we learn photography or how to paint? Why must we celebrate paint on our faces that is not really paint?

As women, we need to become empowered and to understand that there are more ways of looking presentable than with makeup. We can wear decent clothing without makeup. We can be presentable and graceful without makeup. We don't have to dress like a slob when we don't wear makeup. Build true confidence in yourself. 

(Mods: Please don't delete the photos as I'm trying to show a new perspective for sisters by encouraging them to embrace their natural features the way God made them.)

This is more beautiful:

alicia-keys-that-grape-juice-2016-191910

Than this:

zenski-magazin-roze-senka-novi-trend%252

Now, some women will say, "Well, not everyone is naturally beautiful like Alicia Keys." Not true. Anyone can be attractive when they take care of themselves. 

Salam aleykom sister,

MashaAllah, it's really courageous of you to break that habit of makeup. I know most sisters struggle with this.

Personally I have never used makeup when going out. Only in allgirl weddings, and even then just a little. 

I don't even use special products. I have never felt that I need to.

But this is all of course thanks to Allah SWT. 

I hope more sisters follow your advice. 

2 hours ago, Guest Islandsandmirrorsnback said:

@notme, @Hameedeh 

What are your opinions on makeup being a form of oppression and therefore, unnecessary? 

I have never felt that makeup was necessary. I wouldn't go so far as to say the makeup itself is oppressive, but the advertising certainly does prey on insecurity and reduces women to their appearance, not a complete person. A woman is not empowered by looking like a seductress, contrary to what advertisers would have us believe. Frankly, it's demeaning. 

Now, if a woman likes to wear makeup because she wishes to change her appearance to suit her outfit or mood or whatever, there's no problem at all with it, in private or among her women friends. I have no way of knowing whether a woman wears makeup because she's brainwashed by the media to believe that she's ugly without it and her only strength is fake beauty, or if she just likes it, so I'm not going to judge or condemn anyone. To me, beauty is in character and disposition. A person with crooked teeth, blemished skin, and a smile is more beautiful than a person with even teeth and perfectly smooth and skin and a frown.  

4 hours ago, Guest Islandsandmirrorsnback said:

@notme, @Hameedeh 

What are your opinions on makeup being a form of oppression and therefore, unnecessary? 

Makeup is a form of oppression? I never thought that. Makeup is just a custom that little girls might be taught to teach them how to be feminine. In the US it is customary for girls to wear makeup in high school to cover up freckles or the redness from acne or rosacea. [Please do not google images of acne or rosacea.] Even girls who do not wear concealer, foundation and powder normally use the big 5: eye liner, eye shadow, mascara, blush and lipstick. Many high school girls wear only mascara and lipstick. However, fundamentalist Christians and Muslims do not allow their girls to wear makeup. They would substitute plain lip balm or chapstick with no color added instead of lipstick. 

I wear some make-up sometimes, concealer mostly, and never worried about if it is some sort of opression or not. In that sense, I pretty much agree with notme. It depends on how you want to look that day, if it goes better with your outfit or not. It's not a girly thing, nor it is something you use exclusively or specifically to seduce men. These are common middle ages misconceptions.

Skin care is obviously the best way to go, but even with that, there is still room for make-up depending on the situation.

On 7/24/2018 at 8:11 PM, Guest Islandsandmirrorsnback said:

What needs to be applied instead of makeup is skin care. Good moisturizers, eye creams to repair dark circles, good sleep, nutrition, cleansers, etc., is often all that is needed for healthy skin. 

^ Yes, skin-care products are important as well as taking care of yourself. :) 

I don't want anyone to misunderstand my previous post above. I should clarify more. When I became a Muslim I learned about makeup being haram unless you wear it for your husband or your family, not in front of men who are not mahram to you. I couldn't wear makeup in the daytime because I was going out to university, laundromat, grocery shopping, etc. At night my husband's friends might come over after dinner, so I knew that putting on makeup at night and then needing to remove it if someone came over, would be annoying, so I stopped wearing makeup completely.  

1 minute ago, Hameedeh said:

^ Yes, skin-care products are important as well as taking care of yourself. :) 

I don't want anyone to misunderstand my previous post above. I should clarify more. When I became a Muslim I learned about makeup being haram unless you wear it for your husband or your family, not in front of men who were not mahram to you. I couldn't wear makeup in the daytime because I was going out to university, laundromat, grocery shopping, etc. At night my husband's friends might come over after dinner, so I knew that putting on makeup at night and then needing to remove it if someone came over, would be annoying, so I stopped wearing makeup completely.  

I always wondered about this issue. I mean, this is evidently not a black and white thing (at least right now in my mind it isn't). The way I understand make-up isn't very different than concealing certain skin imperfections you may have (there is always something!). Sometimes we sleep little and have exhausted faces, other times we may suffer some sort of accident and have some injuries we may conceal, etc. To which point this concealing power turns into some sort of seduction that is only appropriate in front of one's husband? I have also read about scholars' opinion on this issue, but I still don't really get it. I'm talking just about make-up to conceal imperfections, not that geisha-type make-up so common among arabs (which I honestly find terrifying!)

1 hour ago, Bakir said:

I always wondered about this issue. I mean, this is evidently not a black and white thing (at least right now in my mind it isn't). The way I understand make-up isn't very different than concealing certain skin imperfections you may have (there is always something!). Sometimes we sleep little and have exhausted faces, other times we may suffer some sort of accident and have some injuries we may conceal, etc. To which point this concealing power turns into some sort of seduction that is only appropriate in front of one's husband? I have also read about scholars' opinion on this issue, but I still don't really get it. I'm talking just about make-up to conceal imperfections, not that geisha-type make-up so common among arabs (which I honestly find terrifying!)

Covering scars, blemishes, freckles, etc., might be an option for self-conscious girls or boys. Religious parents are against their daughters wearing makeup that makes them attractive to boys, because it can lead to their sexual harassment, i.e, unwanted sexual advances (visual, verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature).  

3 hours ago, Bakir said:

I wear some make-up sometimes, concealer mostly, and never worried about if it is some sort of opression or not. In that sense, I pretty much agree with notme. It depends on how you want to look that day, if it goes better with your outfit or not. It's not a girly thing, nor it is something you use exclusively or specifically to seduce men. These are common middle ages misconceptions.

Skin care is obviously the best way to go, but even with that, there is still room for make-up depending on the situation.

OMG, all this time I thought you were a brother.  Why didn't you ever correct me?

I use moisturiser, that's about it. And I trim my eyebrows and ears! I do it at home though.

One of my pet peeves recently is ladies (I haven't seen a man do it yet...)  doing their make up on the bus in the morning, especially if I'm sitting next to them. My heart sinks when I see it. It takes so long with the brushes and the creams and the powders and the little mirrors etc. Of course, they'd have to get up an hour earlier if they did it before leaving the house.

31 minutes ago, Klanky said:

Of course, they'd have to get up an hour earlier if they did it before leaving the house.

Efficient use of time! :D

31 minutes ago, Klanky said:

And I trim my eyebrows and ears!

How and why do you trim your ears?:einstein:

If women used natural organic creams for anti aging, face whitening And etc they would look like those famous models without having to put make up on. If they did home remedy’s aswell they would also  have the same results and probably look better then these famous models with or without make up. Obviously it’s easier said then done you have to be committed to it just like a healthy diet. 

I think it's more oppressive to expect women to have perfect skin 24/7 instead of applying make up to look presentable for few hours. Having a perfect skin is not easy and avoiding wrinkles is not easy, it requires a lot of time and effort, much more than time required to do make up. It's not fair to expect regular women to look like models because models can spend a lot of time and money on skin care. They get paid to have perfect skin, ordinary women don't get paid. Telling women to ditch makeup and to have perfect skin is not a feminist thing: it's actually for those husbands who want their wives looking perfect all the time. They want a wife looking like a model but they don't have the money required to spend on a model. So now it's the wife's obligation to turn their fantasy into a reality. 

Edited by rkazmi33

3 hours ago, Sumerian said:

He is a guy, for some reason he wears make up

I'm not surprised. 

The satanic forces in this world are trying to wipe out the differences between men and women. It's part of their agenda. Where I live in Europe, makeup for men is a big thing now, and in Iraq where I come from, men have started styling themselves like women. 

There's nothing wrong with men taking care of themselves but when they start looking more feminine than women and sometimes even are taken for women I do find it disturbing. 

I feel right in the heart now... I am sooo lazy for both taking care of skin(with remedies or cosmetics) and make up :(

My aunt told me offering namaz-e-shab makes your face noorani.. That's so easy than instructions about how,when,where to apply :rolleyes:

32 minutes ago, notme said:

I don't understand why people are getting bent out of shape about a man wearing makeup unless the sole purpose of makeup is to seduce men. 

If concealing blemishes is allowed for women, is there any reason it wouldn't be allowed for men? Obviously, attempting to look like the opposite gender is haram, but we have hadiths advising men to wear kohl and dye their grey hairs. On what grounds can we declare that men covering skin flaws is forbidden? 

Sister you do realize the person who responded is gay.  I swear 1+1=2

***Another example of how the enemy is winning the soft war***

Rasoul Allah told us there will come a time where men are like women and women are like men.

Clear as the sun, but this is all normal in the society now.

Kohl sister was used as medicine for the eyes habibti.  Dying their hair (henna) was to show the enemy that they are not old and to make them think the men were youth.  It wasn't for beautification purposes.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

Edited by Laayla

2 hours ago, rkazmi33 said:

I think it's more oppressive to expect women to have perfect skin 24/7 instead of applying make up to look presentable for few hours. Having a perfect skin is not easy and avoiding wrinkles is not easy, it requires a lot of time and effort, much more than time required to do make up. It's not fair to expect regular women to look like models because models can spend a lot of time and money on skin care. They get paid to have perfect skin, ordinary women don't get paid. Telling women to ditch makeup and to have perfect skin is not a feminist thing: it's actually for those husbands who want their wives looking perfect all the time. They want a wife looking like a model but they don't have the money required to spend on a model. So now it's the wife's obligation to turn their fantasy into a reality. 

There are many creams, remedies and diets that can make a women look ten times better then a model. All it takes it commitment most girls are not that committed. Their are creams that are organic at reasonable prices for both sexes for anti aging, having clear fair skin, face whitening and etc. These you can find on eBay or stores and they make a man look handsome and a women striking beautiful. All it takes is commitment. 

I use moisturizers and eyepencil and sometimes(rarely) foundation cream but not mascara because 1. it is harmful for eyes and 2. cosmetic companies used to test it on animals (I dont know if they still do it or not).

I also dont use nail polish because 1. I dont like it and 2. it contains dangerous ingredients such as formaldehyde and phetalate and 3. Is it difficult to clear it.

By the way, drinking lemon juice or barberis juice regularly has a very good effect on the skin.

29 minutes ago, shadow_of_light said:

I use moisturizers and eyepencil and sometimes(rarely) foundation cream but not mascara because 1. it is harmful for eyes and 2. cosmetic companies used to test it on animals (I dont know if they still do it or not).

I also dont use nail polish because 1. I dont like it and 2. it contains dangerous ingredients such as formaldehyde and phetalate and 3. Is it difficult to clear it.

By the way, drinking lemon juice or barberis juice regularly has a very good effect on the skin.

Oh wow, I did not read your post before I posted mine but I agree with you about the lemon. 

I started drinking warm water with organic lemon and organic honey a couple of years ago because it's healthy and I instantly noticed how it made my skin more beautiful. That was an unexpected and positive side effect I must say.

4 hours ago, Anonymous2144 said:

If women used natural organic creams for anti aging, face whitening And etc they would look like those famous models without having to put make up on. If they did home remedy’s aswell they would also  have the same results and probably look better then these famous models with or without make up. Obviously it’s easier said then done you have to be committed to it just like a healthy diet. 

Unrealistic rhetoric. 

I had make up done by professionals few times in my life and I will say this: I looked gorgeous, stunning, much better than what I look like in real life. Then all the jealous people started saying stuff like "they make brides look  so different than what they look like in real life". These people are THE most racist people I have ever seen, but in my case, they suddenly became proud of brown skin. "They make everyone look so white, we should be proud of our brown skin and natural complexion". I am a firm believer that make up can make any woman look beautiful and every woman has the right to feel beautiful. If she has the resources, she should use those resources. Perhaps people with good skin don't like the fact that anyone can look beautiful, and they get jealous when average looking women manage to look beautiful. 

1 hour ago, Laayla said:

Kohl sister was used as medicine for the eyes habibti.  Dying their hair (henna) was to show the enemy that they are not old and to make them think the men were youth.  It wasn't for beautification purposes.

I have no comment on kohl as medicine. I always thought it was like some athletes who play outdoors will paint some black on their faces to reduce the sun's glare, but kohl also is used as beautification to the eyes.

Would a man not look younger and stronger if his skin appears healthier? 

As I said before, obviously it's haram to try to look as the opposite gender, but makeup being something only for women is a social construct with no basis in biology or in Islam. 

1 minute ago, notme said:

makeup being something only for women is a social construct with no basis in biology or in Islam. 

Isn't the same thing true about things like clothes, hair styles etc in general? Or is Islam more specific on these? It seems a lot of what is taken as masculine or feminine in any society  is unconsciously done so on the basis of learned assumptions

3 minutes ago, rkazmi33 said:

Unrealistic rhetoric. 

I had make up done by professionals few times in my life and I will say this: I looked gorgeous, stunning, much better than what I look like in real life. Then all the jealous people started saying stuff like "they make brides look  so different than what they look like in real life". These people are THE most racist people I have ever seen, but in my case, they suddenly became proud of brown skin. "They make everyone look so white, we should be proud of our brown skin and natural complexion". I am a firm believer that make up can make any woman look beautiful and every woman has the right to feel beautiful. If she has the resources, she should use those resources. Perhaps people with good skin don't like the fact that anyone can look beautiful, and they get jealous when average looking women manage to look beautiful. 

Sister, I don't use makeup BUT I don't judge sisters who do so as I have seen how some sisters have really bad skin. Had I been in their shoes I cannot swear that I wouldn't have used makeup. Maybe i would have slipped too. Some sisters have a huge test in this regard. May Allah SWT strengthen them InshaAllah. And to everyone who wasnt tested this way - thank Allah SWT!

Our face is after all the first thing people see when interacting with us. And everyone wants to look presentable. 

25 minutes ago, Miss Wonderful said:

I think I even made a thread once about hating makeup but now- I LOVE IT! Yup make up and false eye lashes is LIFE  for me.   Chanel whenever I can. Too faced is currently my favorite brand and some ELF products. For skincare Lancome.

Have you tried anything from the 'The Ordinary' range... I LOVE some of their stuff <3