Rate this topic

From the press coverage about this even every year, I've found it to be an interesting phenomenon. It supports my belief that even where/when there is no religion people will go off and invent one.

https://burningman.org/event/brc/

This chapter argues that there are nontheistic religions in the West whose claims are compatible with naturalism. Many are religions of energy. This energy is ultimate, optimizing, impersonal, and natural. Although it cannot be worshiped, it can be aroused, directed, and shaped. The energy religions thus involve tools and techniques for the therapeutic application of the ultimate energy to the self. They are technologies of the self. In this chapter, attention is focused on four new types of energy religion. These include the religions of consciousness (e.g., the New Stoicism, Westernized Buddhism); the religions of vision (involving the ethical use of entheogens); the religions of dance (e.g., religious raves); and the religions of beauty (e.g., Burning Man).

But Burning Man is not just an arts festival. It has clear religious interpretations (Pike 2001; Gilmore 2010). As a fire festival, in which an effigy is burned, it has precedents in pagan events like Vinotok and the Wicker Man (Bell 1978). And Burning Man can be thought of as a religion of energy. To see this, consider that Black Rock City is an oasis of art and beauty in a vast hostile landscape. It is analogous to the earth, a pale blue dot in endless inhospitable space. The beauty gathered in the desert is precious, fragile, and rare; it is like life itself, and human life especially. So the pilgrimage to the Black Rock resembles the evolutionary production of rare oases of sacred value in a vast desert of valuelessness. The Man is both personal and indefinite; he is faceless. He has no identity; he symbolizes the rationality inherent in nature; he is the logos made visible. He is the full self-realization of the ultimate power of nature (or at least the fullest we can grasp). He is both human and transhuman; he is the anonymous god. He is the Hegelian Spirit, fully self-actualized, rendered concrete in the desert.

Religion after naturalism, Steinhart, E. (2017) in Renewing philosophy of religion: exploratory essays.

Finding it hard to edit the post, so here's more background. This is from an obituary of the founder, who died earlier this year:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2018/apr/28/burning-man-co-founder-larry-harvey-dies-aged-70

Burning Man takes place annually the week before Labor Day in northern Nevada’s Black Rock Desert. The week-long festival attracts some 70,000 people who pay anywhere from $425 to $1,200 a ticket to travel to a dry lake bed 100 miles east of Reno, where temperatures routinely reach 100F (37.8C) during the summer.

There they must carry in their own food, build their own makeshift community and engage in whatever interests them. On the gathering’s penultimate day, the giant effigy or Man as it is known is set ablaze during a raucous, joyful celebration.

On 7/18/2018 at 10:06 AM, Haji 2003 said:

It supports my belief that even where/when there is no religion people will go off and invent one.

And there'll be rules and regulations about what is right and what isn't and no doubt differences between those who have a fundamentalist interpretation of the rules and those who do not.

On 7/18/2018 at 4:06 AM, Haji 2003 said:

From the press coverage about this even every year, I've found it to be an interesting phenomenon. It supports my belief that even where/when there is no religion people will go off and invent one.

https://burningman.org/event/brc/

Religion after naturalism, Steinhart, E. (2017) in Renewing philosophy of religion: exploratory essays.

Worshipping a being is innate in our nature.

Whilst there are the delinquent types (and leaving them out)......this topic is highly interesting. 

Something many people don't realize, is this is an art festival and one that evolves organically growing tropes and refining them via the people involved (not anything organised prior). For the people involved, they create a kind of temporal mini-society and super-reality within the grounds of the deserts they occupy. Out of freedom and chaotic structures, evolves a kind of bizarre order.

Along with this, in the art aspect, people bring along massive sculptures and create art at the place itself, people live/breath art during the festival. Every act becomes art and self-aware. 

Everything is crowned, or caped off with the burning of the man itself.

I don't think I'd term it a "religion", but I would however term it a "microworld" or "macrospace". Within the microworld, microscopic religions/traditions grow and die within their temporal contexts, along with it's fashions and forms of amusement.