Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Recommended Posts

  • Advanced Member

Salam aleykom

What are the causes of insanity according to islam? Do we have hadiths about that? Are there Islamic treatments for it?

Is schizophrenia a real disease according to islam? Or is it just spirits plaguing the diseased? 

Many thanks 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Veteran Member
On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 6:32 AM, Carlzone said:

Are there Islamic treatments for it?

Not so much of a "treatment" as Allah-s.w.t. allows or orders any sickness, but it is good to recite Quran.

Sahih al-Bukhari 59:732

l only did ~20 minute search, so hopefully someone else has a better answer, inshallah.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
On 7/10/2018 at 10:48 AM, hasanhh said:

Not so much of a "treatment" as Allah-s.w.t. allows or orders any sickness, but it is good to recite Quran.

Sahih al-Bukhari 59:732

l only did ~20 minute search, so hopefully someone else has a better answer, inshallah.

Thank you very much brother for your help and efforts! 

I have written another post in this thread that hasn't been approved yet so you wont be able to see it until a moderator has approved of it. In that post I have a link where it says that insanity and mental illness are caused by spirits and that bukhoor maryam is beneficial for these conditions. 

I also found that reciting the Fatiha 70 times can cure diseases although not guaranteed:

"” The Prophet (S) said, “It (Surah al-Fatihah) is a cure for every ailment except death.”

Imam AbuAbdillah Ja’far as-Sadiq (a.s.) has said that whoever cannot be cured by Surah al-Fatihah, then there is no cure for that person. In the same narration it is written that if this Surah is recited 70 times on any part of the body that is paining, the pain will surely go away. In fact, the power of this Surah is so great that it is said that if one were to recite it 70 times over a dead body, you should not become surprised if that body starts moving (ie. comes back to life).

Surah al-Fatihah is a cure for physical and also spiritual ailments. Without this Surah, even the daily prayers are incomplete. It is indeed a great treasure that has been given to us by Allah (S.w.T.) through the Holy Prophet (S) and no previous prophet has been given anything like it. This Surah is also known as ‘Ummul Kitab’ and ‘Sab’a mathani’."

Source:

https://www.al-islam.org/fawaid-e-quran-sayyid-mustafa-musawi/benefits-recitation-chapters-holy-quran#block-search-form

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member

schizophrenia and mental illness can be linked to a unhealthy gut. Researchers and doctors have found a linked to our brains and our stomachs. They are saying our stomachs are like a second brain. If our stomachs are not doing so well, it can have a reactions with other parts of our bodies. Having a poor gut health can be linked to chronic pain, fibroalgia, weight gain, weight loss, lack of sleep, depression, anxiety, mood swings, diabetes, digestive issues, thyroid issues, IBS, PCOS, allergies, blood pressure problems, migraines issues.

Everything is linked. Might want to look at our diet and what you're doing to affect your health. It is like what that saying goes. Feed the body like crap, it will feel like crap. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
On 7/10/2018 at 2:16 PM, LadyNadine said:

schizophrenia and mental illness can be linked to a unhealthy gut. Researchers and doctors have found a linked to our brains and our stomachs. They are saying our stomachs are like a second brain. If our stomachs are not doing so well, it can have a reactions with other parts of our bodies. Having a poor gut health can be linked to chronic pain, fibroalgia, weight gain, weight loss, lack of sleep, depression, anxiety, mood swings, diabetes, digestive issues, thyroid issues, IBS, PCOS, allergies, blood pressure problems, migraines issues.

Everything is linked. Might want to look at our diet and what you're doing to affect your health. It is like what that saying goes. Feed the body like crap, it will feel like crap. 

Thank you! 

Diet definitely plays an important role in many if not all diseases. 

I have read that there are many food recommendations for alleviating or in best case curing different conditions in Makarim Al-akhlaaq. It's a very interesting topic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
On 7/9/2018 at 4:44 PM, Carlzone said:

Look at what I found on islam.org: 

https://www.al-islam.org/islamic-medical-wisdom-tibb-al-aimma/insane-and-those-afflicted-falling-sickness

It seems to say that insanity and mental illness is caused by spirits. Is this hadith reliable?

he had prescribed cyclamen (bukhur maryam) for his bondmaid and said that it was beneficial for everything caused by the spirits such as possession (al-mass), mental disorder, madness, the falling sickness, ensnarement, etc. It is beneficial and has been proved, by the will of Allah, the Exalted.

Actually it says there is a thing as spirit possession  AND mental disorder, madness, etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
2 hours ago, LadyNadine said:

schizophrenia and mental illness can be linked to a unhealthy gut

There is a hadith of our Prophet (SAW) or Imam Ali (AS) with something like:  all sickness or diseases come from the belly. Imam Ali (AS) narrating Prophet Muhammad (SAW) in the 400 Golden rules of Imam Ali, If I am not mistaken.  This could be another exampleof how the Modern Science tries to show they foundsomething while we have it in our sources from 1400 years old.

Like how a western lady was very surprised that Islam through the best of people told about consuming Pig-meat changed enzymes which made one have no shame. She was involved in that medical / research of foods and changing of certain things. This or a little bit different I learned from a to me reliable, Shia Sheikh.

And many other things in the Quran and the Hadith. Not that we have to use these facts in logical reasoning and proving of our religion and there must be A God , etc, if one thinks so.

Edited by Mohammed-Mehdi
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
On 7/10/2018 at 5:03 PM, Mohammed-Mehdi said:

he had prescribed cyclamen (bukhur maryam) for his bondmaid and said that it was beneficial for everything caused by the spirits such as possession (al-mass), mental disorder, madness, the falling sickness, ensnarement, etc. It is beneficial and has been proved, by the will of Allah, the Exalted.

Actually it says there is a thing as spirit possession  AND mental disorder, madness, etc.

Yes, you're right brother. I was a bit hesitant to write that because most shias I have encountered seem to deny that there might be such an explanation. That's why I wondered how reliable this hadith is. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member
On 7/10/2018 at 11:07 AM, Carlzone said:

Thank you very much brother for your help and efforts! 

I have written another post in this thread that hasn't been approved yet so you wont be able to see it until a moderator has approved of it. In that post I have a link where it says that insanity and mental illness are caused by spirits and that bukhoor maryam is beneficial for these conditions. 

I also found that reciting the Fatiha 70 times can cure diseases although not guaranteed:

"” The Prophet (S) said, “It (Surah al-Fatihah) is a cure for every ailment except death.”

Imam AbuAbdillah Ja’far as-Sadiq (a.s.) has said that whoever cannot be cured by Surah al-Fatihah, then there is no cure for that person. In the same narration it is written that if this Surah is recited 70 times on any part of the body that is paining, the pain will surely go away. In fact, the power of this Surah is so great that it is said that if one were to recite it 70 times over a dead body, you should not become surprised if that body starts moving (ie. comes back to life).

Surah al-Fatihah is a cure for physical and also spiritual ailments. Without this Surah, even the daily prayers are incomplete. It is indeed a great treasure that has been given to us by Allah (S.w.T.) through the Holy Prophet (S) and no previous prophet has been given anything like it. This Surah is also known as ‘Ummul Kitab’ and ‘Sab’a mathani’."

Source:

https://www.al-islam.org/fawaid-e-quran-sayyid-mustafa-musawi/benefits-recitation-chapters-holy-quran#block-search-form

Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Mental illness has a genetic component and is often triggered or worsened by environment/stress/trauma. Mental illnesses are a result of various chemical imbalances. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Carlzone said:

There is a correlation with chemical imbalances not a causation. 

Go tell my psychology professor that. Obviously, you know better. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
11 minutes ago, Islandsandmirrors said:

Go tell my psychology professor that. Obviously, you know better. 

You probably misunderstood as most people can't differentiate between correlation and causation. 

"This increase in D (2)-high-receptors is a necessary basic requirement for the development of a psychosis that correlates with dopamine supersensitivity (104)."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4032934/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...