Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
ali_fatheroforphans

What are you passionate about?

Rate this topic

Salam,

Some people might not of yet discovered their passion in life. Maybe you've even perused a career that doesn't align with your passion (well that is fine, not a big deal really).

In my opinion if you wanna truly know what you're passionate about, just notice what you're curious about. When your mind wonders, what do you think about majority of the time. What do you find yourself reading time and time again, without getting tired? What is it that no one has to force you to do? What would you be willing to do straight for 10 years without getting paid?

47 minutes ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Salam,

Some people might not of yet discovered their passion in life. Maybe you've even perused a career that doesn't align with your passion (well that is fine, not a big deal really).

In my opinion if you wanna truly know what you're passionate about, just notice what you're curious about. When your mind wonders, what do you think about majority of the time. What do you find yourself reading time and time again, without getting tired? What is it that no one has to force you to do? What would you be willing to do straight for 10 years without getting paid?

Playing Soccer

playing guitar

THATS IT FOR NOW:grin:

I was thinking about creating a topic about this. I haven't discovered my passion yet. When I was in college deciding about my career, this talk about passion was considered silly/ western. You had to get a science or health degree because that gives you job security. I liked doing math, I could do math problems for hours without ever getting bored. In college, I got A in calculus I, B in calculus II, and C in calculus III. So math was not my passion. Other than Math, I am interested in psychology, but psychology is the most popular major and there's no job security with psychology. 

It seems like my career is finished and people keep telling me that I am failing because I am not following my passion. I have no idea what my passion is. 

I think that you don't need passion to be successful in a career. You need people skills and street smarts. Until few years ago, people working in labs needed BS degrees. Now you don't need to have a degree to work in lab. Those people from production lines who cannot learn to speak English ( I can say that because they have been very mean to me) and they cannot pass GED, but apparently they can read their managers' minds to know exactly what their managers want. Those people are taking over jobs in labs and they are not passionate about science. Anyway, now I want to go back to school and I want to chose a career which will be easy for me, so that I can do better job. 

@rkazmi33 Yeah I think it is not always  necessary to get a job that aligns with your passion. You can always volunteer and do something you're passionate about even when you're working. Sometimes yeah you have to choose a degree that you don't mind (you don't have to love it but also not hate it), which can yield great and secure jobs. Anyway, you have a valid point that you need people's skill to be successful in any field. Majority of the jobs out there will teach you the technical skills, however you really require soft skills. 

1 hour ago, rkazmi33 said:

Anyway, now I want to go back to school and I want to chose a career which will be easy for me, so that I can do better job. 

Honestly this is the best thing you can do, and you won't regret it later in life. Do a course on something or maybe get a degree. Work part-time while you study. All the best!

10 hours ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

@rkazmi33

Honestly this is the best thing you can do, and you won't regret it later in life. Do a course on something or maybe get a degree. Work part-time while you study. All the best!

Yes! That's what I am planning to do. Those people are very lucky who can find their passion. I am planning to do a 6 month course. At one place, I was mostly working alone and there I was able to do a good job. At every other place, my co-workers start having problems with me after few months. It's sad that economy is so good and I cannot find a job in this economy. I heard that a recession is coming in 2020. 

Edited by rkazmi33

I would sit down and write fiction or poetry and read it for all my life. And if I'd get paid for it, that's my life sorted. I absolutely love literature, but like @rkazmi33 with psychology, I don't think there's any security in English literature at all. If there was, I would've taken English Literature as a degree in a heartbeat, because it's what I'm crazy about. But because of the lack of security in taking an English Lit degree and pursuing it, I'm doing law. But I am really worried that I end up miserable later in life because I'm not doing the thing I'm most passionate about. 

Edited by Amira00

1 hour ago, notme said:

Even if you can't make money at it right away, don't give up the dream of writing.

Thats the plan, I hope it works though, lol. Inshallah you also enjoy studying planetary science and ecology.

2 hours ago, 110_Fatima said:

I love writing stories, I've always wanted to be an author.

That's awesome! You can create a  blog here, so if you ever do get time, maybe write a small story for us to read :)

Edited by ali_fatheroforphans

5 hours ago, notme said:

Sadly, I got my degree in civil engineering, which deals with neither

Yeah I'm also studying Civil Engineering rn, but I still don't think I am very passionate about it, although I enjoy the content. I can't imagine working for a large mult-national company who would treat me like a slave.

Here in Australia, you can work for local government authorities as a Civil Engineer, which I personally like as the work is very community based. 

Have you worked in a civil company before?

1 hour ago, ali_fatheroforphans said:

Have you worked in a civil company before?

I'm in the US, so probably my experience is different, but my first job after graduation was for a municipality, mainly doing construction management for public projects, and some design. I liked the work environment, but the work itself at times was stressful. I'm a non-confrontational person, so arguing with contractors ruined my day. I did enjoy dealing with the public, assisting them with solutions to their stormwater problems, and I did enjoy the little bit of design I got to do. 

Next I worked for a mid-size company. Loved it. Was laid off during the recession. I worked on a variety of project types, and still was able to become the resident expert on stormwater management. 

I worked for a very large company, and it really drained the life out of me. I started out enjoying residential single family development, but after it was all I did for a year, I began to dread going to work. 

My last civil engineering job was with a very small company. I think I would have enjoyed the diverse work and high level of responsibility, but I was let go after a month when I requested a few hours off to register my children for school. 

So basically I like the work and I'm good at it, but I don't want to be just a cog in a wheel doing the same thing over and over, and I'm not going to do well at a company with rigid policies on hours and dress codes. Before I was an engineer I was a parent, and I'm unwilling to put work ahead of family needs. 

Anyway, I'm a tree hugger. It always bothered me to have to order healthy 400+ year old trees cut down. I'm going to take my hydrology expertise and go back and study planetary processes. Hopefully I'll find my niche.

Poetry and the social sciences.

I discovered quite late in my school years, after secondary school, that history and the social sciences were my passion. So I dropped out of science, enrolled in the humanities section, and haven't looked back since. 

In my spare time, I write some poetry and read the works of the great poets, though i don't think I much of a poet myself. I don't have a blog, and I write my poems in a small diary and sometimes post them on Facebook. One or two Facebook pages-I don't quite exactly remember- have posted my poems on their respective pages. I also compose short prose snippets which are more often than not articulations of the ramblings within my mind.

On 7/5/2018 at 3:25 AM, 110_Fatima said:

My dad's still disappointed I didn't want to become a doctor. XD

So were my parents when I told them I want to become a historian! :) But he'll get over it, don't worry, sister. Your success will make him realize that he has no cause for regret, inshallah!