Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Zellali

Prophets of dark complexion?

Rate this topic

Assalamo alaikum,

I was wondering whether there were any Prophets that were black or of very dark colour? If there were, who they were, and how do we know for sure about the colours. Also, what about the prominent Prophets, such as Hazrat Isa (A.S.), Hazrat Ibrahim (A.S.), and others, what complexion where they of? It's just a general curiosity, and I'm not targeting any sensitive topics or such, just want to gain some knowledge because as i've grown being taught about such personalities, but for some odd reason i'd only think of them as white or fair prophets, i guess its just how we've been wired to think, even as children, even though i don't remember my parents or teachers ever specifying such a thing. 

Looking forward to all the feedback, :)

2 hours ago, Panzerwaffe said:

^ they were in the middle east 

they had no sunscreen

they were outside a lot 

you betcha they were dark

but they were not subsaharan african dark 

ya i guessed that. but i mean as in genetically dark.

16 hours ago, Zellali said:

ya i guessed that. but i mean as in genetically dark.

Salam definition of Dark changeable through time ,Arabs even at during era of Imam Ali (as) were calling themselves as whites & calling Iranians red skins so definition of Dark contains a broad range.

Out of 124,000 prophets sent to all different kinds of people, I imagine that the prophets had a whole range of complexions and ethnicities. Prophet Luqman (as) was said to have dark skin (although I read he is not actually one of the prophets because when the angels asked him, he declined). 

20 minutes ago, ireallywannaknow said:

(although I read he is not actually one of the prophets because when the angels asked him, he declined).

Salam he chooses wisdom instead of being prophet

Salam,

"Mankind is a single nation. So Allah raised prophets as bearers of good news and as warners. . ." (The Holy Quran 2:213)

"And those who believe in Allah and His messengers and make no distinction between any of them (in belief), to them He will grant their rewards." (4:152)

"And certainly We raised in every nation a messenger, saying: Serve Allah and shun the devil." (16:36)

so are you looking for a sub Saharan black Prophet? Do not think like that, pls. Rather think of Prophets refining morals.

ws

I'm sad to read your question as it makes me think that there are darkskinned people who wish that there was a darkskinned prophet in order to feel ok about themselves. 

There is much racism in the world but don't let such things get to you. Your skincolour doesnt determine your worth. Only taqwa does.

I had just written about something very similar @Carlzone on another thread. 

I don’t believe it matters what colour prophets or followers are/ were. Also as much a people may hate me for saying this I don’t believe that anyone’s heritage is true to the skin colour. I believe as one point we are all mixed. Some may have to go a generation or two others may have to delve into their own history more. But i do genuinely believe that racism doesn’t have a place in this world. It is a tool derived from media to separate up. And that is a task from Allah SWT that we have all failed. We look at everything discriminately yet we are all trying to find an edge where we ‘fit’ 

On 8/2/2018 at 8:39 PM, aleena1904 said:

I had just written about something very similar @Carlzone on another thread. 

I don’t believe it matters what colour prophets or followers are/ were. Also as much a people may hate me for saying this I don’t believe that anyone’s heritage is true to the skin colour. I believe as one point we are all mixed. Some may have to go a generation or two others may have to delve into their own history more. But i do genuinely believe that racism doesn’t have a place in this world. It is a tool derived from media to separate up. And that is a task from Allah SWT that we have all failed. We look at everything discriminately yet we are all trying to find an edge where we ‘fit’ 

I agree with you. After all we all stem from Adam and Eve. 

I'm not sure I understood what you mean by that you dont believe anyone’s heritage is true to the skin colour? Can you explain a little more? 

28 minutes ago, Carlzone said:

I'm not sure I understood what you mean by that you dont believe anyone’s heritage is true to the skin colour? Can you explain a little more? 

What I mean by that is regardless of whether your skin tone is white, brown, black, yellow, purple. I don’t believe that your heretiage is that colour. That at some point throughout history you will have some form of racial mixing. 

On 8/1/2018 at 7:40 PM, Carlzone said:

I'm sad to read your question as it makes me think that there are darkskinned people who wish that there was a darkskinned prophet in order to feel ok about themselves. 

A follow on from what you said here basically. That whatever colour/ race you associate with now. We are all mixed therefore we can always feel okay about ourselves and have some form of belonging 

39 minutes ago, aleena1904 said:

What I mean by that is regardless of whether your skin tone is white, brown, black, yellow, purple. I don’t believe that your heretiage is that colour. That at some point throughout history you will have some form of racial mixing. 

A follow on from what you said here basically. That whatever colour/ race you associate with now. We are all mixed therefore we can always feel okay about ourselves and have some form of belonging 

Aha, ok I see. I agree with you. At the same time I also believe that even if a person was not mixed at all and had a specific skincolour they are still ok. 

@Carlzone yes ofcourse. I just find it logically almost impossible due to population etc. We just need to focus on the fact that we are all human and that’s one thing which pulls us together. 

We are so fortunate that we had the prophets and imams and their history is relatively well documented. And whatever race their spouses/ children/ companions are/ were its irrelevant.

On 7/12/2018 at 2:47 PM, Mzwakhe said:

Salam,

"Mankind is a single nation. So Allah raised Prophets as bearers of good news and as warners. . ." (The Holy Qur'an 2:213)

"And those who believe in Allah and His messengers and make no distinction between any of them (in belief), to them He will grant their rewards." (4:152)

"And certainly We raised in every nation a messenger, saying: Serve Allah and shun the devil." (16:36)

so are you looking for a sub Saharan black Prophet? Do not think like that, pls. Rather think of Prophets refining morals.

ws

No I don't. I was wondering because a friend asked. I never said anything and cetainly don't mean it in a racist way. lol. Why would you even think that??

On 8/2/2018 at 4:40 AM, Carlzone said:

I'm sad to read your question as it makes me think that there are darkskinned people who wish that there was a darkskinned Prophet in order to feel ok about themselves. 

There is much racism in the world but don't let such things get to you. Your skincolour doesnt determine your worth. Only taqwa does.

I'm actually not black. I'm , tan? Haha anyways the question was as in inquiry since a friend asked. I was being a curious person since there seem to be a lot of movies about Prophets (even in Arabic) and theyre white. Just curious, don't worry I'm not being discriminatory. No needto take it so negatively. Jazakallah khair 

On 8/5/2018 at 5:01 AM, aleena1904 said:

@Carlzone yes ofcourse. I just find it logically almost impossible due to population etc. We just need to focus on the fact that we are all human and that’s one thing which pulls us together. 

We are so fortunate that we had the Prophets and Imams and their history is relatively well documented. And whatever race their spouses/ children/ companions are/ were its irrelevant.

Definitely you're right. I was being curious, not trying to set a ground for which Prophet to believe in. Jazakallah khair. 

1 hour ago, Zellali said:

Definitely you're right. I was being curious, not trying to set a ground for which Prophet to believe in. Jazakallah khair. 

Alhamdulilah 

Salaam wa laikum, 

Skinned tone and color shouldn’t matter but unfortunately we live in a world where it does and exist even in Islam. The matter of fact is that many of our Prophets were black as in dark and not just dark because they didn’t wear sunscreen dark , but dark as as dark. Musa (عليه السلام) is said by Muhammad SAW to be dark. As a matter of fact many of the Bani Israel Prophets were dark because the Hebrews themselves were of dark colors. The Hebrews you see in Israel today are khazar or European Jews transplanted to Israel over time and even more so after WW2. They have Semitic blood but it’s only 22 percent or so. 

The original Arabs also known as Yemenites are also dark. It said that the original Arabs were dark with negroid features and it was a part of their culture to try to be even darker. Look at Bilal (رضي الله عنه), he was a dark Slave who’s mother was African but his father was Yemenite. He was more Arab than the light skin Arabs who were racist against him. 

People attribute the color that we see with the Arabs today as the original color but the Arabs today are Pseudo Arabs meaning they are mixed with Mongoloid, Turk, and Roman blood from invasions.  So arabs today are a whole lot lighter than the original Arabs. 

We can go deeper into who was dark or not but to keep to your original post yes there were many dark mainstream Prophets. Some of the our Holy Imams are from African mothers as well. 

Look at America today for instance. In the early centuries before westerners got there it was a lot of red and brownish dark Native Americans. Now what do you see today? If you research enough the truth shall set your free, but it will also ruffle a lot of people’s feathers because of the light skin superiority complex that’s exist everywhere. This superiority complex is from Shaitan since he was the first one to make difference in appearance towards Adam (عليه السلام). 

Edited by AbdulKarim313_Austin/Nola