Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

I’m having problems wiping my head in wudhu

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Asalam alaykum,

I was wondering how to do wipe your head in wudhu, every online tutorial says to wipe the 1/3 or 1/4 or a finger length on the front part of your head. I usually use my fingers length but however, I have short hair, so when I wipe the front part of my head, there is an extremely fine line between my head and forehead which sometimes leads to me touching my forehead which invalidates my wudhu. So my question is, can I avoid going too close to my forehead by wiping a few centimetres away from the line that distinguishes between the forehead and head? Or should I continue to get the whole front of my head and risk touching my forehead and having to re-do my wudhu multiple times which will waste A LOT of time and water.

Thank you.

• Advanced Member

You don't HAVE, to wipe all the way down to the hairline, you can stop a bit before that...

According to Ayataollah Sistani:

256. The part on which wiping should be performed, is one fourth frontal part of the head. It is sufficient to wipe as much at any place in this part of the head, although the recommended precaution is that the length should be equal to one finger, and i ts breadth should be equal to three joined fingers.

https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2153/

• Advanced Member
On 6/25/2018 at 6:26 PM, AStruggler said:

centimeters are actually kinda, maybe just one stopping one cm away from the hairline should be good

Wait what

does that mean ive been doing wudoo in a wrong way all my lifeees

woahhhh mate 

what should i do now:(

• Advanced Member
On 6/25/2018 at 9:56 AM, AStruggler said:

centimeters are actually kinda, maybe just one stopping one cm away from the hairline should be good

^What I meant to write was "centimeters are actually kinda big, maybe stopping one cm away from the hairline should be good."

@Natsu  @TheGreenWanderer

Guys chill, why do you think you've been doing wudhu wrong. When I made the statement earlier, I was just mentioning a personal precaution that I may take. CENTIMETERS just seemed kinda big to me, you don't wanna do the wiping too far back on top of your head that's why I said that. Anyway, don't simply take my word for it, do your research too!

This is how the wiping area of the head is described on Ayatollah Sistani's website (my marja): 

256. The part on which wiping should be performed, is one fourth frontal part of the head. It is sufficient to wipe as much at any place in this part of the head, although the recommended precaution is that the length should be equal to one finger, and i ts breadth should be equal to three joined fingers. 

(https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2153/)

• Advanced Member
37 minutes ago, AStruggler said:

^What I meant to write was "centimeters are actually kinda big, maybe stopping one cm away from the hairline should be good."

@Natsu  @TheGreenWanderer

Guys chill, why do you think you've been doing wudhu wrong. When I made the statement earlier, I was just mentioning a personal precaution that I may take. CENTIMETERS just seemed kinda big to me, you don't wanna do the wiping too far back on top of your head that's why I said that. Anyway, don't simply take my word for it, do your research too!

This is how the wiping area of the head is described on Ayatollah Sistani's website (my marja): 

(https://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2153/)

Had me worried pal

• Advanced Member
16 hours ago, Natsu said:

Had me worried pal

Yo there's plenty of videos on YouTube, and many resources online. I'd just review everything from the right sources and not just simply go with what people say, especially regarding these important matters of religion.

• 2 years later...
Guest Mehdi

Is it permissible to wipe more than the front 1/4 of the head? For example can one start his wiping from behind the first quarter or does it invalidate wudu? My marja’ is sistani 

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Guest Mehdi said:

Is it permissible to wipe more than the front 1/4 of the head? For example can one start his wiping from behind the first quarter or does it invalidate wudu? My marja’ is sistani 

You can wipe more than the front quarter of the head but wetness is required to be transferred from the hand onto the front quarter of the head. If no effect is made on the front quarter of the head (i.e. the hair or skin does not change or become wet in any area in the slightest) then the wiping is invalid.